Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE problems

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 10:33 PM

I am using XP Pro SP2 and have switched to firefox as my browser. My problem is when I try to go to certain web sites the give me the error ( you must be running IE 5 or later to view this web site) when I try to install IE6 It says I am running the most current version :huh: can anyone help me resolve this problem Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rand1038

rand1038

Take over your PC or someone else will.

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

IE should already be installed on your system. Start > All Programs > Internet Explorer Is it not there?
Everyone gets specific instructions, disregard what you don't need.
I don't know your skill level.

"I would rather be bruised by the truth than caressed by lies."

The help you receive here is free.
If you can
please help keep us online by donating.

Posted Image

#3 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

It is install but when viewing certain web pages like yahoo mail it will say that i am using a later version of IE and i need to upgrade to ie6 to veiw it properly. So i did dl IE6 and try to install it but it gives the message a newer version of IE is already install and cancles the Install. I have Uninstalled IE but it did not resolve the problem, so this is what I am trying to fix.

#4 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

Copy/Paste the following into the address bar of your browser.
javascript:navigator.userAgent
A new page will open with a single string that looks similar to the following
Mozilla/4.76 (Macintosh; I; PPC)
Copy the complete string and post it as a reply here.

If you can

Posted Image

#5 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:44 PM

Firefox gave me this Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2 IE gave me this Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

#6 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

Are you getting the messages about updating IE when you use Mozilla or when you use IE. If it is when you are using IE then please post the link to the site that is giving you the message.

If you can

Posted Image

#7 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:52 AM

I get it in both when viewing certain web sites but here is a good example of what i get: I have windows set up to automaitcly update so i have no need to visit there web site for updates but when I do visit it gives me this message _____________________________________________________ Windows update website error message Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site. To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later. To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website I went to windows update just to get this message In IE ________________________________________________________________ I have downloaded the upgrade twice, when trying to install IE6 here is the message Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system setup can not continue

#8 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Lets take a look at a HijackThis log before we proceed to make sure you don't have some type of malware messing with your system. If it is just a matter of reinstalling IE we shouldn't have much problem accomplishing that.

First, create a new folder on your desktop with a memorable name such as 'HijackThis'. Next, download HijackThis (scroll down the page to the 'HijackThis Quick Start' header) and unzip it to the new folder you just created. Make sure you unzip it, don't run it from the zip folder as it will not make proper backups if we need to fix anything.
Next, run HijackThis and click Do a system scan and save a logfile.
When the file opens, copy the entire contents by holding down Ctrl and pressing the 'A' key at the same time. Open a reply to this thread and paste the log into the reply by holding down the Ctrl button and 'V' at the same time.

If you can

Posted Image

#9 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:51 PM

here is the hjt log. It even reads ie6. This is a strang problem.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:41:05 AM, on 8/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\NX02051\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://192.168.1.1:5678/index.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "D:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ClamWin] "C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe" --logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://tw.msi.com.tw...nt/iftwclix.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1093146936232
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{61B98489-37AC-4A02-969B-B058496E8E89}: NameServer = 24.158.79.251,24.197.96.15
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DCC99CAF-4AF0-48AC-B7BF-1710A7E7DEA3}: NameServer = 24.158.79.251,24.197.96.15
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\Smc.exe
O23 - Service: SNMP Trap Service (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)

#10 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:57 AM

Lets double check to make sure your user agent string isn't getting mangled before it gets to the server. Click this link and a page will come up displaying your user agent string. Copy it from that page and paste it here.

If you can

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 07:19 PM

Firefox Your user agent string is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050317 Firefox/1.0.2 IE Your user agent string is: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

#12 kltsin

kltsin

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 01:48 AM

Why are you using msconfig for a selective startup? Also that r1 is accessing your modem/router.. I also see symantec orphaned files. What symantec product did you have?

#13 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

bigfoot9090 I am looking into this. At the moment I am researching how MS gets the browser information (They use a combination of jscript and asp). How is your computer connected to the network. Is it connected directly to the router or do you go through another computer.

If you can

Posted Image

#14 bigfoot9090

bigfoot9090

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

On this pc before i built my new one, it had been infected with a browser hijacker that was removed. I do not remeber the name of the program but it worked fine after it was fixed. It is connected on dial-up right now. when it was on bradband it gave me the same error message. what service or application transmits that info because in my firewall I have blocked lots of win programs from transmitting while online unless necassary. On my other pc I have pretty much the same setup.

#15 rand1038

rand1038

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

Open a web browser. After the page loads then save your firewall traffic log and then clear it. Make sure it is set to monitor all traffic. Go to Windows Update. Check your traffic log for any blocked packets related to windows update and then allow that program to communicate. As far as I know it should only be IE but you may also have wscript.exe or cscript.exe. My packet monitor is broken st the moment (MS disabled raw sockets, I need to uninstall a hotfix).

If you can

Posted Image