This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Homepage keeps changing Think I've been hijacked

25 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Browser Hijack Blaster keeps popping up every so often to tell my me my homepage has been changed and sometimes no matter how many times I click Yes to put it back to what it's supposed to be, it pops up again immediately saying it's been changed again. Sometimes this can go on forever until in the end I just close the box in disgust.

After this, when I check IE Properties it just has a blank box with some sort of little symbol at the beginning and even if I change it manually back to Google (which is my usual homepage) the next time I check it, it's gone back to the blank thing again.

I've run Adaware a lot of times lately and each time it's picked up a few nasties but nothing major. (Just after the trouble first started a couple of weeks ago it found both Wild Tangent and Alexa but said it had got rid of both). After I've run it and had it get rid of whatever it has found, the next time I boot up my homepage has been restored to Google and I become hopeful the problem has been fixed. Then after a few hours I get the warning again from Browser Hijack Blaster telling me it's been changed and the whole cycle begins again.

Here is my Hijack This log file. Could someone please have a look at it and tell me what I need to remove. I'd be very grateful.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:22:09 PM, on 31/07/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Vet\isafe.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Browser Hijack Blaster\bhblaster.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PAINTS~1\Psp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims\SimCategorizer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\old d drive\DOWNLOADS\HIJACK THIS\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
Thank you for the quick reply! Just one question…this is a new computer and I'm new to WinXP…how do I get into safe mode?


Editing: I just read the thread entitled Pinned: Who Will Help You With Your Hijackthis Log which says:

"At Tom Coyote only those people who are being trained here or are staff here, are allowed to help Victims with their PCs."

I don't wish to offend you but as you don't appear to belong to any of the Helper Groups mentioned in that thread I think I'll wait for advice from one of the authorized helpers.

Thanks anyway. :)

Chris
Hello jumbuck, welcome to the forum. Sorry about the delay in responding :( If you still need help, Scan again with HijackThis, and copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Thanks for responding. I know you are all kept very busy.

Here's my new log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:03:54 PM, on 9/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Vet\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Browser Hijack Blaster\bhblaster.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PAINTS~1\Psp.exe
C:\HIJACK THIS\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
Important: Do this before any fix.

You need to update your version of HijackThis. Open HJT> Open Misc Tools> Pull the side bar down> Check for update online. If that doesn't work, download it from my signature and remove the hijackThis.exe you have now.

Also please put your HijackThis in it's own folder, (I create a new folder in C:\ named HJT).
You can do a Right Click on any open area on the desktop, New> Folder, then rename the folder HJT.

Go to where your HijackThis is and Right Click on HijackThis.exe, select Cut, then open the new folder you just created (HJT) Right Click in the folder and select paste.


After the above:



This is what I suggest you do.

Download CWShredder from my signature below. Unzip it on the desktop.
Open CWShredder and with ALL other windows closed, click fix.


Go here and run at least one of the online scans, allow them to delete whatever they find:

TrendMicro HouseCall
eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner
Panda ActiveScan
Note any thing that can't be fixed
Reboot when done.

Next:

Even if you've already run these, make SURE they're up-to-date and run per instructions.

Make sure you have the up-to-date versions of Spybot V 1.3 and Ad-aware SE Build 1.05 . All are free and available below.

Download Spybot, install and update. Then download Ad-aware, install, and update.

Spybot:

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
Next click the button "Check for Problems"
When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

Ad-Aware FULL SCAN:

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window :Click Start then under Select a scan Mode check Perform full system scan.
Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Okay. I've done the following:


Updated HiJackThis

Before disconnecting from the net to run it, I decided to update both Ad-aware and SpyBot. I updated SpyBot. but I was unable to update Ad-aware because the program wouldn't even open (I remembered then that the last few times I tried to run it, it kept freezing).

Downloaded CWShredder, logged off and ran it.
It said CoolWebSearch was not found on the system. But it did say that it had restored one IE page, which I imagine was to do with the fact that during its scanning process I got a message from BrowserHijackerBlaster (which I had forgotten to disable) telling me my homepage had been changed from to (just a blank space …there was no name there). I wasn't sure what to do but as is the incorrect one that it keeps getting changed TO, I let it save the changes.

Ran VET
I didn't bother with the online virus scan because I have VET, an excellent Australian AV program, so I went back online, checked for updates, logged off and ran it. It didn't find anything.

Ran the updated SpyBot. It found nothing.

Ad-aware still wouldn't run so I uninstalled it, rebooted then reinstalled it. Went back online and got the latest updates and did a full scan. It only found two tracking cookies, Low Relevance, TAC rating 3, which I let it get rid of.

Emptied the Recycle Bin

Rebooted and ran HiJackThis again and saved the log which I've pasted below.

I won't know how my computer is behaving until it's been running for a few more hours. Sorry, but I omitted to mention in my original post that I don't get the message from BrowserHijackerBlaster until I've been using the computer for 6-8 hours so I'll have to get back to you on that. Also forgot to say that it happens even when I'm offline.

Also, through all of this, whenever I've rebooted and immediately checked IE's Properties it has always said Google, which is my chosen homepage, and it's only later on after I've got the BHB message and been unable to make the box go away by clicking Yes to discard the changes that the Properties box changes to blank with that odd little symbol at the beginning (as described in my original post). And manually changing it back to Google doesn't stick.

One other thing… oddly enough, I haven't had any problems with popups or being redirected to Search pages etc and the only real problem has been that my homepage has been changed and I can't change it back and make it stick. So I've been avoiding clicking "Home" from the browser because I'm afraid that I'll either get popups or get redirected to a Search page full of links or something.

Anyway, here's the latest HiJackThis log:


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:28:11 PM, on 11/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Vet\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\HIJACK THIS\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www,google.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\EI40_\msxml4.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe


Thank you for helping.

Chris.
Okay, since posting the above a short time ago, things have gone from bad to worse.

Whilst re-reading my post I realized that I was online and had forgotten to have BHB running so I immediately ran it. And straightaway, it popped up with a message but it was different from the ones I've been getting.

[external image: Posted Image]


I clicked "Yes, Remove BHO" and the box was immediately replaced with this one, again it's different.

[external image: Posted Image]


I wasn't too sure about removing this last one because it mentioned SpyBot (which is a *good^ program) but I decided to click Yes again and the box was again replaced, but with the same message this time (the SpyBot one) and I'm now in the position of every time I click Yes to remove it, it instantly gets replaced with the same message again. Exactly what was happening previously except that the homepage hasn't been changed. I just checked IE's Properties and it still says Google.

What on earth is happening here???


So in view if this, I've just run HiJackThis again nd here's the latest log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:48:16 PM, on 11/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Vet\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Browser Hijack Blaster\bhblaster.exe
C:\Program Files\Paint Shop Pro\Psp.exe
C:\HIJACK THIS\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = ê 1%2O
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www,google.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\EI40_\msxml4.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4B78407D-1BB9-4A39-938D-844E8294C4A3}: NameServer = 203.49.70.20 139.134.2.190
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe


I am hoping like anything that you can fix this. *fingers crossed*

Chris.
Acrobat and SpyBot are OK. You can let those changes go.



Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = ê 1%2O

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\EI40_\msxml4.cab


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"




Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.



Open C:\Windows\Prefetch\ Delete ALL files in this folder.



Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

Reboot normal

Click the link and Download, Install, Update and run a full scan.
http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup…ree_323a539.exe


Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment
I'm writing this from my old computer (not the one with the problem). I have done everything you said except downloading that last program and running it. More about that in a minute, I need to ask a question about it before I run it. Okay, I had done everything in your instructions (except download and run that last program) and had Rebooted Normal, and as I would have had to go online to get the above program, I set BrowserHijackerBlaster to run, as usual. It immediately popped up a message to say that my search settings had been changed from (a couple of symbols which I don't know how to reproduce) followed by 1%2O to

from
(a couple of symbols which I don't know how to reproduce) followed by 1%2O
to


My guess is that it's from fixing this bad line . So let it change to none.
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = ê 1%2O

Is it an AV program? Because if it is, I am not keen on installing another one

Yes it is a AVG.


Do this one instead. It will work with other AVG's without issues:



Please download ewido Security Suite
  • Install ewido security suite
  • When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu."
  • Launch ewido, there should be a big "E" icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will prompt you to update click the "OK" button
  • The program will now go to the main screen

    You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start

    The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed. After the updates are installed, exit ewido.

    Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • If you have an "always on" connection to the internet, physically disconnect that connection until you are finished with Safe Mode and have rebooted back into normal mode.
  • Reboot into Safe Mode, you can do this by restarting your computer, then contiunally tapping F8 until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter. Then, run ewido.
  • Close all open windows/programs/folders. Have nothing else open while ewido performs its scan!
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Settings
    • Under "How to scan" all boxes should be selected
    • Under "Possibly unwanted software" all boxes should be selected
    • Under "What to scan" select scan every file
    • Click OK
  • Click on Complete system scan
  • Let the program scan the machine
  • If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. NOTE: We have been finding some cases of false positives with the new version of Ewido, so we need to step through the fixes one-by-one. If Ewido finds something that you KNOW is legitimate (for example, parts of AVG Antivirus, AOL, pcAnywhere and the game "Risk" have been flagged. In particular, watch for alerts that have the word "Heuristic" in them - if you recognize the file name as "friendly," these may actually be false positives) select "none" as the action. DO NOT check "Perform action with all infections." If you are unsure of an entry, select "none" for the time being. I'll see that in the log you will post later and let you know if ewido needs to be run again.

    Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report.
  • Click Save report
  • Save the report to your desktop
  • Exit ewido

Restart your computer in normal mode and please post a new HijackThis log, as well as the log from the Ewido scan.
I've done all that and here are the two reports;

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:26:10 PM, on 14/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Vet\isafe.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\HIJACK THIS\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio; - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe

____________________________________


———————————————————
ewido security suite - Scan report
———————————————————

+ Created on: 3:20:53 PM, 14/08/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 5EAFE135

+ Scan result:

C:\old c drive\Program Files\easymail\easymail.exe -> Heuristic.Win32.Dialer : Ignored
C:\old c drive\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll -> Not-A-Virus.PornWare.PopCap.b : Ignored
C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Cookies\chris@burstnet[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Burstnet : Cleaned with backup
C:\old c drive\WINDOWS\Profiles\Chris\Cookies\[removed][2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Yieldmanager : Cleaned with backup


::Report End
————————-

Re that PopCap thing I chose to ignore….dunno about *pornware* ??!!! :o I was a bit horrified to see that because I never go near porn sites (I'm a very respectable grandmother) and the reason I ignored it is because PopCap is the thing that loads when I play online games at Yahoo….very innocent games, I might add, like Diamond Mine and Chuzzle.

The easymail thingy is from way back when I didn't have proper internet access and Easymail was a program that let me send and receive email but nothing else.

So, having done all of this, I'll leave the computer run for about 10 hours and see if BHB sends me any new messages. If not, then I might have finally got rid of all the nasties. *fingers crossed*

Thank you again for all your help. :)

Chris.
Good Job :thumbup:


Log looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Click Start> My Computer, select the Tools menu and then Folder Options, after the new window appears select the View tab…]
This time select the: Restore Defaults
Select: Apply, and click OK




If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D
I am sorry to have to tell you that it still isn't right. :(

It was looking good, my homepage remained on Google and I was able to click Home from the browser and arrive at Google without any problems. But about 4 hours after I had posted my last reply BHB popped up again to tell me the homepage had been changed from Google to
Download DelDomains.inf
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf

Right-click and select….. Save Target As….Save

To use: Right-click and select……. Install (no need to restart)
**Note** This will remove all entries in the "Trusted Zone"




Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.


Then please run Ewido, click on the Scanner run a full scan and let it clean everything it finds. Save the logfile from the scan.


Restart your computer in normal mode and please post a new HijackThis log, as well as the log from the Ewido scan.
Right, I've done that. I'm not sure what else DelDomains.inf does other than remove everything from both the Trusted Zone and the Restricted Zone but there wasn't anything in the Trusted Zone to begin with because I had a look before I ran it. And I'm a bit nervous about having all those Restricted Sites removed so how long before I can put them back in with SpyBlaster and IESPY AD?

Re running Ewido…. when I go to Safe Mode to do that, I have a choice of going in as Admin or as User Chris (me). I have been choosing Admin thinking that it should cover everything but now I'm wondering if that is right, seeing as how when I boot up normally I am always under User Chris. This was done for me by the guy who sold me the computer and set it up for me. So is choosing Admin when in Safe Mode correct?

Re the second item on the Ewido scan report…. this was not removed for a couple of reasons. First, because it said it couldn't do it because it was embedded in the archive and the only way to remove it would be to remove the whole archive and did I want to do this. I said No because I wasn't sure just what that entailed and what else would be getting removed.

Secondly, it has only been there since last night when I played games at Yahoo for the first time on this new computer so it obviously isn't the cause of the problems. Also, it has been on my old computer for ages and has never created a problem on it. (You'll see it in the 4th line of the report, the one that starts C:\old c drive\WINDOWS and is part of all the stuff from the old computer that was copied across to this new one. I had the contents of both drives copied over so I could have easy access to files I need regularly).

In retrospect, iI was probably foolish to download anything new in the midst of getting things fixed…sorry. But as I said, the spyware problem started long before I did this.

Anyway, here are both reports:


———————————————————
ewido security suite - Scan report
———————————————————

+ Created on: 3:16:33 PM, 15/08/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 8C6B2C36

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Cookies\chris@statcounter[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Statcounter : Cleaned with backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\724ZJXSL\popcaploader_v6[1].spl/PopCapLoader.dll -> Not-A-Virus.PornWare.PopCap.b : Error during cleaning
C:\old c drive\Program Files\easymail\easymail.exe -> Heuristic.Win32.Dialer : Cleaned with backup
C:\old c drive\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll -> Not-A-Virus.PornWare.PopCap.b : Cleaned with backup
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll -> Not-A-Virus.PornWare.PopCap.b : Cleaned with backup


::Report End
___________________________


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:28:23 PM, on 15/08/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Vet\isafe.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Browser Hijack Blaster\bhblaster.exe
C:\HIJACK THIS\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\Vet\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/web_…aploader_v6.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Vet\VetMsg.exe


Thanks,

Chris.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI