Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Mozilla Firefox browser doesnt want to open

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 12:01:13 PM, on 7/16/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) I was surfing on my Mozilla Firefox yesterday and I decided to close the browser. After I was away from my computer for only a few minutes, I decided to come back on, but when I tried clicking on my shortcuts, the browser would not pop up but under Processes in Task Manager it says that it's working. The version of Mozilla I'm currently using is 1.0.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

end it... end the process in task manager.. then try it

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:21 PM

No, I've tried that and I just tried it again, it's not working

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 11:38 PM

did you kill all the mozilla process? there should only be one running but.. jic.. if thats the case then go to C:\program files\mozilla and find the executable and try it from there.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#5 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:47 AM

What's the executable?

#6 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

Bump, since no one told me what an executable file was

#7 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing and learning about computers, bike riding around town with my friends and I am currently playing badminton for my highschool.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:28 PM

1. Re-boot the computer 2. Just in case, end all of the firefox processes. Start > Run > taskmgr 3. Go here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and find the Firefox.exe file and double click it. This is the executable, a program in other words. 4. If it works, make a new shortcut to put on the desktop If it doesn't work, try running "Firefox Safe-mode." No, dont re-boot your computer in safe-mode; its a firefox mode that makes it run with out any extentions and themes. Which may be your problem. To run Firefox Safe-mode, go: Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Firefox (Safe-mode) Hopes this helps :)

#8 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

I've tried that already but so far I haven't been successful. I tried Mozilla Safe Mode and that hasn't worked. I'm still clueless

#9 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing and learning about computers, bike riding around town with my friends and I am currently playing badminton for my highschool.

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

OK, this happens often but the bug might have been fixed in version 1.0.6.
You will have to re-install Firefox.

Before re-installing do this to keep settings:
You will lose bookmarks if you haven't made back-ups but you can keep the extentions and maybe the themes.
Go:

Start > My Computer

Then go:

Tools > Folder Options... > Click the "view" tab

In the list box that appears, make sure "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is selected and then hit Apply and OK.
Now browse to this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Windows Account Name**\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\**Firefox username** or xxxxxxxx.default

Once there, copy the "extensions" folder to your desktop.

Now, download the Firefox 1.0.6 installer and re-install.

Once the install is finished, make sure Firefox is closed and copy the "extensions" folder from your desktop to:

C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Windows Account Name**\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\**Firefox username** or xxxxxxxx.default

Now, start Firefox and see if most settings are restored. Again, your bookmarks will be lost. Sorry.

Now to restore the view type of the system files, go:

Start > My Computer

Then go:

Tools > Folder Options... > Click the "view" tab

In the list box that appears, make sure "Do not Show Hidden Files and Folders" is selected and then hit Apply and OK.

You're Done. :)

#10 kltsin

kltsin

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:24 AM

Actually the bookmarks will still be there in a file named bookmarks and you forgot to tell them to uninstall FF in add remove programs first which may be the answer to all issues. FF does work off of profiles, you may be able to copy the old profile into the new one as long as its not over written or deleted.

Edited by kltsin, 06 August 2005 - 02:26 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

It's still not working. I downloaded 1.0.6 and I still cant get it to work. I even tried the Mozilla (Safe Mode) and it still wont pop up. I don't know what else to do.

#12 fbelzile

fbelzile

basic

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

OK, hmm try doing this:

Start > Run... > Type: cmd

In the black box that appears, type:

cd "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"

Make sure to include the quotes.
Now type:

firefox.exe -console

And hit enter.
Another black box should appear, copy and paste what it says in there.
Maybe that will give us whats happening.

All this does is run Firefox in the command line to debug.

#13 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

I can't copy and paste it cause my MSDOS skills aren't polished, but I can type it out stdout directed to dynamic console stderr directed to dynamic console And then it kinda goes away by itself without me pushing the X button.

#14 kltsin

kltsin

Authentic Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:11 AM

Alright lets try this.

With the system set to show hidden files and folders as fbelzile described earlier (you only need to do this once btw, so if you already did it no need to do it again)

Make sure FF is uninstalled in Add Remove Programs..

Use explorer to navigate to here
C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Windows Account Name**\Application Data\Mozilla\

Rename the folder FireFox to firefoxOLD.

Delete this folder
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Install Firefox

Run it to see if it works then we will get your bookmarks back..

#15 thetopdog1289

thetopdog1289

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

Ahh it's still not working! I'm starting to get frustrated