This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Mozilla Firefox browser doesnt want to open

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 12:01:13 PM, on 7/16/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) I was surfing on my Mozilla Firefox yesterday and I decided to close the browser. After I was away from my computer for only a few minutes, I decided to come back on, but when I tried clicking on my shortcuts, the browser would not pop up but under Processes in Task Manager it says that it's working. The version of Mozilla I'm currently using is 1.0.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
did you kill all the mozilla process? there should only be one running but.. jic.. if thats the case then go to C:\program files\mozilla and find the executable and try it from there.
1. Re-boot the computer 2. Just in case, end all of the firefox processes. Start > Run > taskmgr 3. Go here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and find the Firefox.exe file and double click it. This is the executable, a program in other words. 4. If it works, make a new shortcut to put on the desktop If it doesn't work, try running "Firefox Safe-mode." No, dont re-boot your computer in safe-mode; its a firefox mode that makes it run with out any extentions and themes. Which may be your problem. To run Firefox Safe-mode, go: Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Firefox (Safe-mode) Hopes this helps :)
I've tried that already but so far I haven't been successful. I tried Mozilla Safe Mode and that hasn't worked. I'm still clueless
OK, this happens often but the bug might have been fixed in version 1.0.6.
You will have to re-install Firefox.

Before re-installing do this to keep settings:
You will lose bookmarks if you haven't made back-ups but you can keep the extentions and maybe the themes.
Go:

Start > My Computer

Then go:

Tools > Folder Options… > Click the "view" tab

In the list box that appears, make sure "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is selected and then hit Apply and OK.
Now browse to this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Windows Account Name**\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\**Firefox username** or xxxxxxxx.default

Once there, copy the "extensions" folder to your desktop.


Now, download the Firefox 1.0.6 installer and re-install.

Once the install is finished, make sure Firefox is closed and copy the "extensions" folder from your desktop to:

C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Windows Account Name**\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\**Firefox username** or xxxxxxxx.default

Now, start Firefox and see if most settings are restored. Again, your bookmarks will be lost. Sorry.

Now to restore the view type of the system files, go:

Start > My Computer

Then go:

Tools > Folder Options… > Click the "view" tab

In the list box that appears, make sure "Do not Show Hidden Files and Folders" is selected and then hit Apply and OK.

You're Done. :)
Actually the bookmarks will still be there in a file named bookmarks and you forgot to tell them to uninstall FF in add remove programs first which may be the answer to all issues. FF does work off of profiles, you may be able to copy the old profile into the new one as long as its not over written or deleted.
It's still not working. I downloaded 1.0.6 and I still cant get it to work. I even tried the Mozilla (Safe Mode) and it still wont pop up. I don't know what else to do.
OK, hmm try doing this:

Start > Run… > Type: cmd

In the black box that appears, type:

cd "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"

Make sure to include the quotes.
Now type:

firefox.exe -console

And hit enter.
Another black box should appear, copy and paste what it says in there.
Maybe that will give us whats happening.

All this does is run Firefox in the command line to debug.
I can't copy and paste it cause my MSDOS skills aren't polished, but I can type it out stdout directed to dynamic console stderr directed to dynamic console And then it kinda goes away by itself without me pushing the X button.
Alright lets try this.

With the system set to show hidden files and folders as fbelzile described earlier (you only need to do this once btw, so if you already did it no need to do it again)

Make sure FF is uninstalled in Add Remove Programs..

Use explorer to navigate to here
C:\Documents and Settings\**Your Windows Account Name**\Application Data\Mozilla\

Rename the folder FireFox to firefoxOLD.

Delete this folder
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Install Firefox

Run it to see if it works then we will get your bookmarks back..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI