This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

slow start up and shut down, too many processes

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Cindy, I don't see anything bad on your log, but I want to submit it to other members of the TC staff to doulblecheck it for me. If Call wave is a program that you downloaded and use, you can keep it. Has your computer always been slow or did it just happen. Think back about something you may have done prior to this problem, like installing or uninstalling software or new hardware like a printer or scanner. Right click on MY COMPUTER, then click on PROPERTIES and look toward the bottom where is sez COMPUTER and let me know how much memory your system has. I will be back to you in the AM, don't go away :D Ken
I don't know what it would have been that slowed it down. It just gradually got slower. It used to load a lot faster though. It is an Intel Celeron with 2.53 Ghz and 248 MB of Ram. It is a fairly new computer. Well, new to me anyway. It purchased it last September. I think I just have too much stuff on it. I know I don't need it all. Could it maybe have something to do with the things that I have running at start up. I know it starts really quick if I do a diagnostic start up. But I don't know what I need and what I don't need. I have turned off the things that I know I don't need. But there is a lot of things that I don't know about. Thanks for your help. Talk to you soon. Cindy
Good Morning Cindy, :D

Both one of the teachers and myself have deemed your system clean, it is free of any viruses or malware. :P

There are a few things you can do that would possibly speed it up a little. Keep in mind that the Celeron Processor, even though it is a good processor made by Intel, it is a low end version for cheaper computers. You would get better performance out of a Pentium.

As you use your computer, install new programs and such, this sometimes will start to slow things down. The amount of memory you have is the bare minimum for XP to run. If you doubled that you would see a significant increase in performance. It is a very simple upgrade that if you like to tinker, you can do yourself or take it to a shop to have it done. What I would do is buy a 256 mb moduale that would bring you up to 512 and that will speed up your system. You can download this program BelArc Advisor that will give you all info on whats inside your system. You want to look under the memory, it will most likely say that there are 2 banks with a 256 in one bank, that would be good, then you can slip another 256 in the other bank. Don't buy any cheap memory from places like Costco or Walmart or you will have other problems. Go to Crucial which is the leader in memory and plug in your make and model and it will pull up what you need. This is the place that Dell and all the leading manufacturers buy from.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

http://www.crucial.com/

Lets do this also, go to MY COMPUTER> YOUR C DRIVE> DOCUMENTS AND SETTINS> YOUR NAME OR THE ADMINISTRATOR START MENU> PROGRAMS> START UP and delete any programs that you don't need from starting up.

You can also adjust the way windows automatic updates is configured, set it this way or else it will download updates and when you shut down it will try to install them slowing you down
START> CONTROL PANEL> SECURITY CENTER> AUTOMATIC UPDATES> and set the radio button to this NOTIFY ME BUT DONT AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THEM

The next thing you want to do is to Defrag your hard drive. Turn off your screensaver so it won't interfere with it. If you have never done this, it could take about an hour or so, if you run it every few weeks which you should it won't take so long. This will organize all the files on your hard drive so programs will load faster. It is a very safe program to run.

Go to START> ALL PROGRAMS> ASSESSORIES> SYSTEM TOOLS> DISK DEFRAGMENTER Highlight your C: drive and click on Defragment.

If you installed the full Norton package with the firewall and all, this is a good program but also a resource hog that will clog up your system. You may want to consider just a stand alone virus program and a free firewall from Zone Labs.
Free Version of Zone Alarm



Here are some other tips and free programs that will help keep the bad guys out.

Now that your clean, we need to erase all possible older infected files that may still be lurking on your system.
clean out your TEMP FILES

* This procedure should be run from SAFEMODE for better results.

To Enter SAFEMODE

* Go to START/ SHUT OF YOUR COMPUTER/ RESTART
* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly, this will bring up a menu.
* Use the UP AND DOWN ARROW KEYS to scroll up to SAFEMODE
* Then press the ENTER KEY ON YOUR KEYBOARD


Now, while in SAFEMODE,

* click on START/ RUN , and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This will open up the temp directory that your machine uses. GO TO EDIT/ SELECT ALL and delete all the contents of that folder.
* Do this for each user of your computer.
* Do this same process for %windir%\temp.

NOW RE-BOOT NORMALLY

DELETE TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES

* Open INTERNET EXPLORER
* Click on the TOOLS MENU
* Then INTERNET OPTIONS
* At the GENERAL TAB, (which should be the first tab you are currently on),
* click on the DELETE FILES BUTTON and put a checkmark in DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT.
* Then press the OK BUTTON . This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes.
* When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.


Now we need to TURN OFF and then TURN BACK ON SYSTEM RESTORE.

This will remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent
any programs changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points
which are likely to be infected)



Turn off System Restore.

* On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
* Click Properties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* Check Turn off System Restore.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.



Reboot your System


Turn ON System Restore.

* On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
* Click Properties.
* Click the System Restore tab.
* UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
* Click Apply, and then click OK.

* Now Create a New Restore Point

* Make sure that your ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE is up to date and run a full scan at least once aweek.
* If you want to use a free program, try this one –> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

* Run SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY/ CHECK FOR UPDATES/ IMMUNIZE and run a full system scan on a regular basis.

* Run AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL/ CHECK FOR UPDATES and run a FULL SYSTEM SCAN on a regular basis.

* Follow the links at the bottom of my post and download and run SPYWARE BLASTER, check for updates and enalble all protection.

* Also install SPYWARE GUARD.
These two programs won't scan your system, but will sit in the background blocking most of the garbage from installing in the first place.
* WINDOWS UPDATES - Enable Automatic Updates
Right click on MY COMPUTER/ GO TO PROPERTIES/ AUTOMATIC UPDATES and put a mark in the radio button
DOWNLOAD UPDATES FOR ME BUT LET ME CHOOSE WHEN TO INSTALL THEM.


Hope this helps you, I will keep this thread open for a few days in case you have any other questions.

Thanks for using Tom Coyote,

Ken :D
Hey Ken, Thanks so much for your help. I know this takes you a lot of time. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me speed up my computer. Guess I just have a really slow computer with very little memory. I should have done more research before I purchased it. But, like you said, I can always add memory. Thanks for the instructions and the links. Have a great weekend. Cindy
Cindy, Your more that welcome. Some of this stuff is time consumming, but we dislike the people that write this garbage and we love helping people like you. :D Just keep your PC updated, run the scans and you will be better protected than when you logged on at TC. It was a pleasure helping you, thanks for using Tom Coyote Ken :D
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI