Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

spybot hanging

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

I'll leave this topic open and see if anyone comes up with anything to try. Also if you find the answer, please let us know :thumbup:

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Rdaneel

Rdaneel

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

I was having the same problem (except for Adaware working correctly) as gmusik but I believe I have a solution for this problem from the Spybot forum. It looks like version 1.4 still suffers from the Hyperthreading problem that 1.3 did. You will need to uncheck CPU 1 inside of Task Manager under the Processes tab with Spybot open but not scanning. See the steps for the solution at Net-Integration Forums under thread Spybot Hangs. Hope this solves it for you. :)

#33 Ronm1

Ronm1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

Setting affinity also elimenated my Spybot 1.3/1.4 process hangs with XP SP2 :thumbup:

#34 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

I have asked Bitman if I can post the possible fix here. Will post if Bitman OKs it.

#35 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:44 PM

This resolved my problem, as well.
Thanks,
Glen

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#36 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

Great... :thumbup:

#37 gmusick

gmusick

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

If you are going to share this fix, then I would be sure to note that this is not a "fix". You have to reset the affinity everytime, before you run spybot. It will always revert and try to use CPU1 again. I am sure that you knew this, but everyone may not.
Thanks,
Glen

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#38 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:48 AM

Spybot 1.4 hangs during scan with HyperThreading.
========================================================================

Please go HERE and register. Follow the instructions below and post the requested information.

Anyone reading this: If you have a HyperThreading system using Windows XP, let us know if you're having these hanging issues or not. Please give basic hardware specs. per above in either case so we can determine if this problem is with all or only some particular type(s) of HyperThreaded PC models. We'd particularly like to know if you're NOT having hangs since then it's likely those with the problem have something specific in common. Don't forget the specs. either way!

Here is a short list of instructions that explains how to force Spybot to run on one processor.
With HyperThreading:
Open Spybot, then leave it alone
Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

If this works for Spybot, try it with other programs giving you problems. If this workaround stops the hanging you apparently have issues with HyperThreading. You might want to go into the BIOS and disable HyperThreading completely if this is the case.

#39 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

If you are or have had this issue, please let them know at NI. They are researching the problem but not enough data has been posted by users as to where the problem is.

#40 janoloco

janoloco

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:09 PM

guys, i had the same problem. and thanks a lot for your help. my spybot s&d was hanging out every time and the adware se too. The corel draw photo paint worked like a pentium 1 every time i wanted to do something to any picture it takes like 30 secs, even when only selecting the picture.... Then i saw this post and did unselect 1 cpu thing.. then all worked perfect. my specs: Pentium 4 prescott 3.2e ghz 800 bus 1mg cache (with hyperthreading) Motherboard: Intel D865GBF Video: Sapphire radeon X800xl 256mg AGP Audio: SoundBlaster audigy xgamer HD: Maxtor IDE 80gb (main) + 120gb IDE + 256gb sata Memory: DDR-400 , 512 + 512 in dual channel Windows xp pro sp2 IE 6.0 Now it seems like i have a solution to my problem... I downloaded the last update to my bios. And for now.. no more hangings and all the programs are working well i think.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 janoloco

janoloco

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

guys, i had the same problem. and thanks a lot for your help. my spybot s&d was hanging out every time and the adware se too. The corel draw photo paint worked like a pentium 1 every time i wanted to do something to any picture it takes like 30 secs, even when only selecting the picture.... Then i saw this post and did unselect 1 cpu thing.. then all worked perfect. my specs: Pentium 4 prescott 3.2e ghz 800 bus 1mg cache (with hyperthreading) Motherboard: Intel D865GBF Video: Sapphire radeon X800xl 256mg AGP Audio: SoundBlaster audigy xgamer HD: Maxtor IDE 80gb (main) + 120gb IDE + 256gb sata Memory: DDR-400 , 512 + 512 in dual channel Windows xp pro sp2 IE 6.0 Now it seems like i have a solution to my problem... I downloaded the last update to my bios. And for now.. no more hangings and all the programs are working well i think.

#42 janoloco

janoloco

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

#43 janoloco

janoloco

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

sorry i didnt mean to send 3 messages