This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

HijackThis Logfile

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there,

I have this empty folder named "C:\Downloads" which keeps returning after removal. I remember having this program called 'Flashget' AKA: 'jet car' which created that folder there, but it has been uninstalled a long time ago.
Same goes for "C:\Program Files\GoogleDCC". I'm not sure if that one does any harm but it keeps returning after removing it. Both folders return approximately after a couple of days or so.

Also i'm intersted to see if you guys see anything irregular in my logfile which might be dangerous. I'm a keen user of cleaning programs and Spy and Adware programs, but i've got the feeling that some of the processes shown in the log are not supposed to be there.

I hope you guys can help me out here,

Thanks in advance. :)


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:43:50 PM, on 5/25/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SWEEXK~1\KEMailKb.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Accelerate\accelerate.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\PC Alert 4\PCAlert4.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
F:\eMule\emule.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KEMailKb] C:\PROGRA~1\SWEEXK~1\KEMailKb.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Accelerate] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Accelerate\accelerate.exe /S
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RunDLL32.exe NvMCTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: PC Alert 4.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSI\PC Alert 4\PCAlert4.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download Using &BitSpirit - F:\BitSpirit\bsurl.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/ICSCM.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://tw.msi.com.tw/autobios/client/iftwclix.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by15fd.bay15.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1097773203265
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O16 - DPF: {DB893839-10F0-4AF9-92FA-B23528F530AF} - http://deposito.hostance.net/dialer/1086961.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7F4459AE-C824-4667-ACC1-F0DB9F4F9D94}: NameServer = 195.121.1.34 195.121.1.66
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Hello Johnson, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. Sorry to keep you waiting, if you are still looking for help please follow these instructions in the order posted.

1) We do have one nasty DPF Dialer: http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/g…AME=DIAL_TALF.A Some clutter we can remove and we will do some cleaning. I am interested in this folder: C:\Downloads when it shows up is there anything in it or is it just an empty folder?

2) Download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Take the time to review the instructions on the download page so that when I ask you to run it you will know what you are doing.

3) can you tell me what this is: O8 - Extra context menu item: Download Using &BitSpirit - F:\BitSpirit\bsurl.htm ?

4) Open HijackThis and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {E0E899AB-F487-11D5-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - (no file)
(can't get information about the next item, if you know it's valid, leave it)
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://tw.msi.com.tw/autobios/client/iftwclix.cab
O16 - DPF: {DB893839-10F0-4AF9-92FA-B23528F530AF} - http://deposito.hostance.net/dialer/1086961.exe
DIAL_TALF.A

Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

Let's check for trojans in case any are hiding, run this free online scan, scan the whole system and set it to clean or fix anything it locates. Let me know what it finds and the exact name and location of anything it locates but can't remove. You may be asked to install an ActiveX, please do so as this program is safe and it can not run without it.
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Run CCleaner then restart the computer and post a new log in this same thread along with any feedback you have. Let us know how you are running.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior

PURGE SYSTEM RESTORE
When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed follow these instruction:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen…src=sec_doc_nam
Hi pskelley,

Thanks for the welcome and your reply. :)

1) Yeah I was afraid that it was a dialer indeed. I use Spy Sweeper, Microsoft Anti Spyware, and Ad-Aware SE Professional for all my Spy and Ad Ware cleaning, and I also use Norton Antivirus 2005 and Zone Alarm Pro for security. What makes me wonder then is: shouldn’t at least one of those programs have detected that dialer? Could that mean that those programs are not as accurate as they claim, or is there perhaps some sort of leak on my system?

The C:\Downloads folder is completely empty when it shows up. Even when selecting “show hidden files and folders” there is nothing to be seen in it. I’m not sure if it’s Spyware, or just a folder from an old uninstalled program like I mentioned in my last post. The thing that questions me actually is why it keeps popping up after removal. Same goes for the "C:\Program Files\GoogleDCC" folder.
BTW, I have not tried to remove those folders anymore since my HJT scan, just to let you know.

2) Okay I have downloaded CCleaner and read the instructions you gave me.

3) Bitspirit is a p2p program.

4)

(can't get information about the next item, if you know it's valid, leave it)
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} (InstallFromTheWeb ActiveX Control) - http://tw.msi.com.tw/autobios/client/iftwclix.cab

MSI is the manufacturer of my mainboard. I have an update program from MSI called “Live Update 3” which updates my drivers, etc. I also have a CPU Temperature checking tool called “PC Alert 4” from MSI. Both provided on the installation disk of my driver CD. I notice it says autobios in that URL, I remember upgrading my bios a while ago, could that be it? For the rest I have no idea what the code means to be honest. So my guess is this one is valid.

I have followed your instructions and opened HJT and chose to “do a system scan only”. Then I’ve selected the boxes you told me to select, except the MSI one just discussed. After that I closed all programs except HJT and clicked “fix checked”
I then restarted my computer (I’m not sure if that was the idea to restart at that point but it’s a sort of habit of mine to restart when I’ve installed or cleaned, etc). I then got a notification from Spy Sweeper that a browser/webpage had been changed and if I wanted to back up to former settings, I selected “NO” and told it to keep the new settings. It all went a bit to fast so I don’t really remember what it said exactly, but it was something like that.

I’ve then followed your instructions about the Trojan scan at http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/. I’ve selected all my drives ( C:\, D:\, E:\, and F:\) and allowed the required ActiveX plug-in to be installed.
The scan gave 1 result, or as it said: 1 malware found:
Filename= C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 5 Professional\Search and Recover\Watchdll.dll
Diagnosis= not-a-virus:RiskWare.Monitor.Hooker.e

System Mechanic is my cleaning program, but “RiskWare.Monitor.Hooker.e” doesn’t sound all that good though :)

Thanks for pointing that site out to me by the way, it can always come in handy :)

Next I did a cleanup with CCleaner. I did cleanups in de “Windows” section, the “Applications” section and the “Issues” section. Also I backed up the registry when asked.

After a restart I fired up HJT and did a new scan and saved the logfile:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:07:06 PM, on 6/2/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SWEEXK~1\KEMailKb.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Accelerate\accelerate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\MSI\PC Alert 4\PCAlert4.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KEMailKb] C:\PROGRA~1\SWEEXK~1\KEMailKb.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Accelerate] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Accelerate\accelerate.exe /S
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /0
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: PC Alert 4.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSI\PC Alert 4\PCAlert4.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download Using &BitSpirit - F:\BitSpirit\bsurl.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/cm/ICSCM.cab
O16 - DPF: {4E330863-6A11-11D0-BFD8-006097237877} - http://tw.msi.com.tw/autobios/client/iftwclix.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by15fd.bay15.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1097773203265
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotion…ctor/WebAAS.cab
O16 - DPF: {BB21F850-63F4-4EC9-BF9D-565BD30C9AE9} (ASquaredScanForm Element) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/axscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/d…/ITDetector.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

After a quick look I noticed thankfully that the dialer is gone. I also noticed this process:
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll

The thing is, that program is no longer installed. Can I safely delete this entry?

Also I’m not to sure about this one:
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL

I’ve got the feeling that that one doesn’t belong there as well.

I hope I provided you with the correct and desired info and like to thank you for your assistance so far :)

Thanks,

Johnson
Hi Johnson, before I look at the new log, I will consider your comments as you posted them.

1) While I can't comment on the effectiveness of some of your program, I do run Ad-aware SE personal and Zone Alarm Free version, what I think happens here is this item came in via a ActiveX. The item is a Downloaded Program File and if the ActiveX control security is not set high enough the trojan could have come right in and the programs might not even have seen it. I will supply you with suggested settings for ActiveX once I know you are clean. I block them all, make them ask me, it is rare I allow a DPF onboard…something like PCPitStop or a security scan, not much else.

The C:\Downloads folder is completely empty when it shows up

I have a C:\MyDownloads on my WinXp Dell. There is nothing in it either. I would guess it is Windows putting it back. I use a Download Manager with MSN Explorer so my downloads go there. I could of course direct them to the MyDownloads folder if I wished. Since it has nothing in the folder it can't hardly be malware.

2) CCleaner is a great little utility, I was amazed the first time I ran it as to how much junk it located and cleaned.

3) I will share some information with you and say no more about filesharing:
http://www.mainstream.net/security_howto/d…e_sharing.shtml
http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/2003/20…ng_software.htm
http://www.infopackets.com/gazette/2003/20…ware_part_2.htm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/03/…ain692765.shtml

4) Thanks for that information. With so many members waiting for help we can allow only so much time for research. If Google does not know the file, and the member does not know it, it goes. Keep in mind that you would be prompted to download the .cab file again the next time you visited the site.

I’m not sure if that was the idea to restart at that point but it’s a sort of habit of mine to restart when I’ve installed or cleaned, etc

I usually have the computer restarted after CCleaner is run, you certainly did not harm rebooting the extra time. Good move allowing the change through SpySweeper, I usually ask that all Spyware programs be turned off. Seems I missed that one. They will block the HJT fix.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ that's a pretty good report, and this is where it located Riskware: C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 5 Professional\Search and Recover\Watchdll.dll
Diagnosis= not-a-virus:RiskWare.Monitor.Hooker.e
So the trojan scan is identifing something in System Mechanic as Riskware. I located this information: http://www.ess.co.at/RISK/ I see no reason to be concerned, but you can consult with Tech Support at System Mechanic if you wish.

Your HijackThis logfile is clean of malware :thumbup: congratulations. You certainly may remove:
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdocvw.dll

and this one: O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL is part of Microsoft Office and I have seen some remove it and some not. Here is what CastleCops has to say: http://castlecops.com/o9list-27.html. Fix it if you wish as it would be backed up in HJT if it created a problem you could just put it back.

Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

I wish you safe surfing…Phil :wavey:

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
Hi pskelley, 1) That could very well have been the case indeed. It’s true that my ActiveX settings are not set that high enough. I’ll have a look at my IE, Firefox and Zonealarm settings and make some changes. Thank you for letting me know, and the advice given. If it is Windows that is putting it back and it’s no malware, it’s okay with me :) 2) Yeah it’s a definite keeper on my system, thanks for pointing that program out to me. 3) Thank you for the links provided. 4) I can understand that, glad I could be of assistance as well :D I’ll keep that in mind, thanks. Good to know the Trojan scan looks okay, and not to be concerned about it. Great news that I’m free of malware, thanks! :) Okay, I’ll remove the spywaredoctor entry. I think I’ll let the Office Refiebar stay where it is as long as it’s safe. Thank you for those links about security, spyware, etc. I’m definitely going to have a detailed look at them. Thank you very much for the time you took to help me out, and must say that I think you guys here do an excellent job. Keep it up! Best wishes, Johnson.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI