This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Netscape launches version 8.0

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

FYI…

- http://www.theregister.com/2005/05/19/netscape_8_launch/
19th May 2005
"Netscape has officially launched the latest version of its browser, Netscape 8.0, according to reports. Although the browser is based on Firefox, it also supports the Internet Explorer engine, and so will be able to render more sites than will Firefox alone. The final version also comes with a heavy emphasis on security, with built-in anti-phishing safeguards. The browser adjusts its security settings automatically, based on a regularly-updated blacklist of dangerous or malicious sites…"

- http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/default.jsp

EDIT/ADD/NOTE:
- http://channels.netscape.com/ns/info/privacy.jsp
"…Netscape and its advertisers may use small pieces of code called "web beacons" or "clear gifs" to collect anonymous advertising metrics and to deliver cookies related to such advertisements…"

:blink:
FYI…

Netscape Needs Patch Hours After Debut
- http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/163106099
May 20, 2005
"America Online's new Netscape 8 went from 0 to 3 bugs in less than 12 hours Thursday as it posted an update, tagged as 8.0.1, late the same day that saw it debut the hybrid browser…
Without the update, users visiting sites rendered with the Gecko engine could be at risk. Attackers could use the now-patched vulnerabilities to take control of a PC simply by getting a user to visit a malicious Web site…Details on the fixes in Netscape 8.0.1 have been posted on Netscape's support section, and the new version can be downloaded from the home page of AOL's Netscape site…"

- http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/security/alerts.jsp

- http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/default.jsp

:ph34r: :ph34r:
Yikes :blink: Thanks for the info, I recently installed Netscape when I was having so many spyware problems, and IE wouldn't function properly (completely shut down when I *tried* to visit Trend Micro's Housecall) so I used Netscape to run my scans. It was a great alternative to me when I couldn't use IE and Firefox didn't like the java applets at certain sites.
lol :lol: I'm glad I didn't rush off and install their new version…it looks like I'd be uninstalling/reinstalling again since they don't update the program in a conventional way.
Geez oh man…I thank you for the info my friend. Apparently, Netscape is either completely incompetent…or worse, in league with the spyware manufacturers. :scratch:

My fav line was "Netscape 'Trusts' Crapware Vendors" :lol:

Even though it's not really funny.