This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

HELP!

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

No. I don't know that for sure. This is a computer that a few of us at work are sharing and I am having trouble getting (accurate) info from the women that brought it in. I am semi-retarded about computers - and she is lower down the food chain than I. I do see a Intel Graphics Technology Icon on the Control Panel - but when I click on it - it says "The driver for this control panel applet is not currently running or is not available." My boyfriend says he hasn't been able to find any image softwear? on the computer to even open pictures. And when I try to open a picture - I can't even open a JPEG. It says "Windows cannot find Program exe. This program is needed to open files of type 'JPG' File.' I THINK I used to be able to open them. (have just had this computer here for a couple of weeks). And we used to have full color on the monitor. According to one of the women - she didn't do ANYTHING - and the computer just turned to black and white….all on its own. The trend microscan I did the first day removed 14 viruses. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. - because at that time it seemed like PARTS of programs were disappearing. (Like I RAN the McAffee Virus Scan one night, but the following morning it said it couldn't be run because some of the files were missing or not downloaded correctly - so I had to update it.) It doesn't seem to be LOSING parts of things that previously worked now. I ran the scan again last night and it didn't find any viruses. :) It has also stopped freezing up all the time…and taking FOREVER to load a page. So at least it is semi-functional now. But - to answer your question. I am not sure what kind of video card this has. Is there a way to find out? Free
I'm not quite sure what to look for in system.ini

I see a line that says display=*vdd,*vflatd (in a Folder [386Enh]

I used Everest http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html which I found in a Hardware Analysis forum - which shows NVIDIA GeForce4 Mx 440 under the display adaptors.

Actually, I find the same thing listed in the Device Manager.

I am downloading an updated driver from
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

I selected the following driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

I have downloaded it - but not installed it yet.

Am I on the right track here?

Free
I installed the updated drivers and the colors are working just FINE now! :D The colors are great and the pictures are no longer shakey. Still having trouble opening JPEGS though…but will have to work on that later. Thank you so very, very much!!!!!!!!!!!! Free
Good Job :thumbup:

Looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Do the following:
In Windows, on the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
On the View tab, check Hide file extensions for known file types.

Then, under the "Hidden files" folder, uncheck Show hidden files and folders.

Click Apply.
Click OK.


If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. In my signature below is also a tutorial on how to harden IE, a good read and very helpful to stop these things in the future. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on.

Safe Surfing. :D
It is running MUCH better. I don't have any specific issues at the moment. I downloaded all 3 of the anit-spy programs. Spyware Blaster is up and running. I had a little trouble with the SpywareGuard (saying it was causing an error - and was shutting down) so I uninstalled it for the moment. I downloaded IESPY AD, but still have to figure out how to install it. When I try to open the files in the folder I get the "what program do you want to open this file with" box. Thanks for the other links too! I am going out in the woods for a few days - so I won't be NEAR a computer :D - but I will follow up when I get back. Free
Thanks SO Much!!!! The computer is running GREAT now! I'm not getting Error Windows anymore. It's not freezing up. It's not changing my browser settings..or burying me in pop-ups. It is running pretty fast (for dial-up). Now when I do the Spybot scan it comes back completely clean! Ad-Aware only finds a few tracking cookies. Considering the fact that this is a shared computer - that's GREAT! :thumbup: Free :)
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI