This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

HELP!

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have the C:\WINDOWS> But when I type in system32 or \system32 or system 32 or \system 32 It keeps telling me I have used a bad command or file name
Hey! Now THERE'S an improvement! I found a file that says SYSTEM.INI - and it says the type of file is Configuration Settings.
go back to the MS Dos Prompt
C:\windows type in Edit System.ini tap enter

Add the following line to the [boot] section of the file:
drivers=mmsystem.dll

click File > Save then exit back to windows, reboot
Well…..it is better. I am no longer getting all the rundll errors or the errors in kernel 32 when I start the computer. (yet). I am still not able to change the display to anything but 16 colors. And now - for some reason - the McAffee Virus Scan (loaded through AOL) comes on when I start the computer - but disables itself when I open something. This started BEFORE I made that change to the boot section. I'm not quite sure what is causing it. I thought it might be the Window Washer that someone installed…because the Virus Scan disabled when it started loading, or when I shut it off. SO I uninstalled the Window Washer. But the Virus Scan just disabled when I clicked on the Dial Up connections to log on. It DOES seem to stay on when I manually re-enable it though. And am not having all the problems with pop-ups, the web browser changing, etc. anymore. Free Free

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI