This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

HELP!

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

RESOLUTION
To correct this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click Start> Run> type in Sysedit tap enter edit the System.ini file.
2. Add the following line to the [boot] section of the file:
drivers=mmsystem.dll


3. Save and then close the System.ini file.
4. Restart your computer.

Here's the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=138835
Is there another way to do this? When I type Sysedit into Start>Run - it tells me that Windows cannot find Sysedit - that I either typed it in wrong (I copied and pasted) - or another open program could not find a system file. I tried to do a search for sysedit - but it came back with no results. Free
Lets try this:

Start> Run> type in CMD tap enter
at the C:> (type) CD windows\system (tape enter)
C:\windows\system (type in) edit system.ini (tap enter)

You should see a list of items. If not: change it to C:\windows\system32

Add the following line to the [boot] section of the file:
drivers=mmsystem.dll

3. Save and then close the System.ini file.
4. Restart your computer
Print out my last instructions first. Restart PC, tap F8 key until you get a menu. Select C Prompt only. Then use the instructions. You can also boot from a bootable floppy if you have one. I'm heading to bed in about 15 mins.

Print out my last instructions first.
Restart PC, tap F8 key until you get a menu. Select C Prompt only.

Then use the instructions.

You can also boot from a bootable floppy if you have one.

I'm heading to bed in about 15 mins.

166040


Hi. I'm back again….hopefully with a little time to work on this. When you say to select C prompt only - where do I get to that prompt? When I tap F8 I get:
1. Normal
2. Logged (/BOOTLOG Txt)
3. Safe Mode
4. Step by Step confirmation.


Also - can this be edited from the system.ini file you get when you Click START>>RUN>>>type in msconfig ? I can get THAT.

Thanks,
Free
Select MS-DOS Prompt. That should open a window. at the C:> (type) CD windows\system (tape enter) C:\windows\system (type in) edit system.ini (tap enter) You should see a list of items. If not: change it to C:\windows\system32 Add the following line to the [boot] section of the file: drivers=mmsystem.dll 3. Save and then close the System.ini file. 4. Restart your computer
Just Making sure I am doing this right. When the window opens it does not have C:> It has C:>\WINDOWS> Do I put in the CD windows\system in at this prompt?

Just Making sure I am doing this right.

When the window opens it does not have C:>
It has C:>\WINDOWS>

Do I put in the CD windows\system in at this prompt?


Type in cd system enter
Then you should be at C:\windows\system
Then (type in) edit system.ini (tap enter)
Okay. That got me into the MS-DOS Prompt EDIT >>> C\WINDOWS\system\system.ini How do I find the boot section of the file? to add the drivers=mmsystem.dll ? Thanks, Free

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI