This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Cannot remove I Search Tech

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

Somehow I Search Tech entered my machine. I used Uninstall for "ISTsvc" and "Yoursitebar," but it still came back. I used Ad-Aware and Spybot a few times and sure enough, IST returned.

I am posting the logs for Ad-Aware, Spybot, and HijackThis.

I am a novice of all this. I noted that Ad-Aware listed three places in the Reg. (Spybot showed one) where IST resided, but saw nothing in HijackThis. If I did not find out about HijackThis [thank you PCWorld], I would have used Regedit to delete those three lines. Would that have been correct?

I also learned Spybot can run realtime [thank you again PCWorld], so I started doing that. I used to run Norton Internet Security, but I seemed to be causing problems so I deleted it. All I would get from their HELP folks was reinstall it. I just run Norton Corporate Antivirus, the minimal my company allows for telework situations. I was going to review PCWorld. I remember they had an article on firewalls. Any suggestions?

Also, does the Hijack This log show any other s/w running in the background? Some times the Disk Light flashes like the dickens when I am on the Internet (dial-up), but not doing anything on the computer.

Help and thanks for this service.

Allan

Here are the logs:

********************************************************************
From AD-AWARE:

Vendor:DyFuCA
Category:Malware
Object Type:Regkey
Size:8 Bytes
Location:.DEFAULT\software\ist\
Last Activity:05-07-2005
Risk Level:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:
Description:Also known as InternetOptimizer. Error page hijacker, malware. Installs unsolicited (Bundled with third party applications) runs stealth.

Vendor:DyFuCA
Category:Malware
Object Type:RegValue
Size:4 Bytes
Location:.DEFAULT\software\ist "NeverISTsvc"
Last Activity:05-07-2005
Risk Level:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:
Description:Also known as InternetOptimizer. Error page hijacker, malware. Installs unsolicited (Bundled with third party applications) runs stealth.

Vendor:DyFuCA
Category:Malware
Object Type:RegValue
Size:4 Bytes
Location:.DEFAULT\software\ist "NeverInstall"
Last Activity:05-07-2005
Risk Level:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:
Description:Also known as InternetOptimizer. Error page hijacker, malware. Installs unsolicited (Bundled with third party applications) runs stealth.

**********************************************************************
From SPYBOT:

ISearchTech.PowerScan: Settings (Registry key, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\IST

— Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 —
2005-04-26 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2005-04-15 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Malware.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Revision.sbi
2005-02-09 Includes\Security.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\Trojans.sbi
2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi
2005-04-27 Includes\PUPS.sbi

**********************************************************************
From HIJACKTHIS

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:40:34 PM, on 05-07-2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\WINWORD.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.mail2world.net/?domaincode=rpi
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;
R3 - URLSearchHook: URLSearchHook Class - {37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NZSEARCH\SEARCHENH1.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SAgent2ExePath] C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\DEFWATCH.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\RTVSCN95.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /A "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S7140.TMP"
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.fcc.gov
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://wireless2.fcc.gov
O15 - Trusted Zone: wtbjag1w.fcc.gov
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.bluehill.org
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.neopets.com
O15 - Trusted IP range: 192.104.54.26
O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/sj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?319
O16 - DPF: {610FB8B8-2427-4375-BCF9-2F7AE17173A6} (Snapfish File Upload ActiveX Control) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishUpload.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C4EB11A-2078-432E-92FE-0CB2ACD6D071} (m2wFTPClient.M2WFTPControl) - http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/mail/FTP/m2wFTPClient.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab


Thanks,
Allan
Hello DeBlasio , welcome to the TC.

Click HERE and download the Istsvc fix
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxIstbar.exe


Download DelDomains.inf
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf

Right-click and select….. Save Target As….Save

To use: Right-click and select……. Install (no need to restart)
**Note** This will remove all entries in the "Trusted Zone"


Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
:) Hello LDTate,

I was on travel for work so it took me a while to follow your instructions. Before I left, I found bb.exe and deleted it. I think either Ad-aware or Spybot named it. The I Search icon disappeared after a couple reboots.

My PC seems to be okay except at times it is slow while I am on the Internet. The reason may be that I have a dial-up connection. Sometimes I think a few of the phone numbers provide a poor connection. Sometimes the line drops within the first few minutes.

Question – what did "DelDomains.inf" besides wipe out my Trusted Sites list?

I truly appreciate your help. You folks are a hidden treasure.

Here's the new log file.

Thanks,
Allan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:13:22 AM, on 05-24-2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mail.mail2world.net/?domaincode=rpi
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;
R3 - URLSearchHook: URLSearchHook Class - {37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NZSEARCH\SEARCHENH1.DLL
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SAgent2ExePath] C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\DEFWATCH.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\RTVSCN95.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /A "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S7140.TMP"
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/sj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?319
O16 - DPF: {610FB8B8-2427-4375-BCF9-2F7AE17173A6} (Snapfish File Upload ActiveX Control) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishUpload.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C4EB11A-2078-432E-92FE-0CB2ACD6D071} (m2wFTPClient.M2WFTPControl) - http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/mail/FTP/m2wFTPClient.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
Question – what did "DelDomains.inf" besides wipe out my Trusted Sites list? It removed the 015's from startup.


I suggest you do this:

Click Start> Run> type in Msconfig
Look in Startup and see if KB891711 is listed. If so, uncheck it.
Select No to reboot:



Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;

R3 - URLSearchHook: URLSearchHook Class - {37D2CDBF-2AF4-44AA-8113-BD0D2DA3C2B8} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NZSEARCH\SEARCHENH1.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

O16 - DPF: {610FB8B8-2427-4375-BCF9-2F7AE17173A6} (Snapfish File Upload ActiveX Control) - http://www.snapfish.com/SnapfishUpload.cab

O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


To use it:
  • Download CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ and install.
  • Open CCleaner.
  • Place a check by everything in the Applications tab.
  • Place a check by Internet Explorer, Windows explorer, and System in the Windows tab.
  • Hit the button that says Run CCleaner
  • Reboot to remove index.dat files.
After reboot:

"copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
;) Hello again,

I followed your instructions. I did not find 04-HKLM … Run Services KB891711 although I found it in the register. What does this program do?

Question – Can I enter my trusted sites again?

Question – Curiosity gets the best of me. What happened when I removed the registry entries. It looked like a lot had to do with NetZero.

Thanks again,
Allan

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:10:03 AM, on 05-27-2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfigReminder] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe /reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SAgent2ExePath] C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\DEFWATCH.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\RTVSCN95.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /A "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S7140.TMP"
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/sj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?319
O16 - DPF: {5C4EB11A-2078-432E-92FE-0CB2ACD6D071} (m2wFTPClient.M2WFTPControl) - http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/mail/FTP/m2wFTPClient.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:10:03 AM, on 05-27-2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfigReminder] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe /reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SAgent2ExePath] C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\DEFWATCH.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\RTVSCN95.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /A "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S7140.TMP"
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/sj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?319
O16 - DPF: {5C4EB11A-2078-432E-92FE-0CB2ACD6D071} (m2wFTPClient.M2WFTPControl) - http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/mail/FTP/m2wFTPClient.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

I followed your instructions. I did not find 04-HKLM … Run Services KB891711 although I found it in the register. What does this program do?

KB891711 is from a windows update. It only needs to run once. Leave it in the registery. Do this:

Click Start> Run> type in Msconfig
Look in Startup and see if KB891711 is listed. If so, uncheck it.
No need to reboot.


Question – Can I enter my trusted sites again?

Yes.

Question – Curiosity gets the best of me. What happened when I removed the registry entries. It looked like a lot had to do with NetZero.

Those weren't really bad, but they weren't needed as your start page, search page, etc.


Good Job :thumbup:

Looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Do the following:
In Windows, on the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
On the View tab, check Hide file extensions for known file types.

Then, under the "Hidden files" folder, uncheck Show hidden files and folders.

Click Apply.
Click OK.

To disable Windows Me System Restore
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click the System icon.

——————————————————————————–
Note: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.
——————————————————————————–

On the Performance tab click File System.

Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore.

Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.


Now enable.

To enable Windows Me System Restore
Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
Double-click System.
On the Performance tab click File System.
On the Troubleshooting tab, uncheck Disable System Restore.
Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.


If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. In my signature below is also a tutorial on how to harden IE, a good read and very helpful to stop these things in the future. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on.

Safe Surfing. :D
B) Hello again LD,

I think I am okay now. But naturally, I still have a few quesions. Here goes.

"disable" Windows Me System Restore – then Now "enable."

:scratch: What did disabling and then enabling do?


RELATED QUESTION:
I have tried to do a system restore a few times. The system looked like it was doing it but then said that it could not. I recently learned that I had to run the DEFRAG utility in Safe Mode. Is this the same for RESTORE?


"Hide" file extensions for known file types and "uncheck" Show hidden files and folders

:scratch: What was the purpose? Can I show them again or at least the file extensions?

  I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD

DONE!

In my signature below is also a tutorial on how to harden IE, a good read and very helpful to stop these things in the future.

:( I could not find it.

:scratch: RELATED QUESTION:
What do you think of Firefox browser? I started using it and it seems okay for most sites. I found a few times when the graphics were not displayed correctly.

The biggest problem I had was when I was viewing a webcast, and Firefox did not display the frames needed to answer questions and see other info.

I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

:thumbdown: I used to use Norton Internet Security. It seemed to me that it caused me many problems. Whenever I contacted their customer assistance, the answer was reinstall it. That meant downloading the entire virus definition file – about a 1 to 2 hour job with my dial-up connection. I finally dumped it. :rant:

Luckily because I use my home computer for work at times (telework), my agency's license allows me to use Norton's Corporate Anti-Virus. Maybe it was the firewall or site filtering that caused the problems.

:scratch: Should I switch to your anti-virus software? How does it compare to Norton and the other major brands?

RELATED QUESTION
I have young children who are learning more about computers than their parents will ever know. :scratch: Can you recommend a good filtering program? I found out that NIS, even though tuned to the most restricitve setting, allowed many unwanted images come through Google. Also and unfortunately, Google's setting can be easily changed. :angry:


I downloaded your free firewall and will install it shortly though I am a little leary. I have one program that other users have said has problems with some firewalls. It is Echolink, a VoIP program.

:scratch: How easy is it to configure your firewall? Can this amateur do it?

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot

DEFINITELY WILL DO

Thanks again for all your help. I am amazed at all the free help and programs out in the world. What makes folks like you do it? I think if these "hidden treasures" received more notice, Norton et al. would either go out of business or provide much better customer service! I will definitely write to PCWorld and thank them for highlighting some of these areas. Even this cheap guy (no cell phone and still a dial-up) will dig deep and send in a donation.

I will spread the gospel. :lol:

Thanks again,
Allan

P.S. I am limited to what I can do at work, but I ran CCleaner. :o Wow! I had triple what I had on this PC. On the positive side, our IT folks have pushed Spybot and others, but not consistantly.


ONE LAST TIME:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:57:12 AM, on 05-28-2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATI2EVXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\DEFWATCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\RTVSCN95.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAXX.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS\VPTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F0F8ECBE-D460-4B34-B007-56A92E8F84A7} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETZERO\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C62 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C62"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiCwd32] Aticwd32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiQiPcl] AtiQiPcl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SAgent2ExePath] C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ATIPOLAB] ati2evxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [defwatch] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\DEFWATCH.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [rtvscn95] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\RTVSCN95.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C62 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S0BIC1.EXE /A "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S7140.TMP"
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {89D75D39-5531-47BA-9E4F-B346BA9C362C} (CWDL_DownLoadControl Class) - http://www.callwave.com/include/cab/CWDL_DownLoad.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.hp.com/sj/en/check/qdiagh.cab?319
O16 - DPF: {5C4EB11A-2078-432E-92FE-0CB2ACD6D071} (m2wFTPClient.M2WFTPControl) - http://mail.alum.rpi.edu/mail/FTP/m2wFTPClient.CAB
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid;=0x409
Hello LD,

Things were going good until today.

:scratch: Question – with all the anti-spyware, etc. I now have guarding my PC, why did I get exdl1.exe (and a sibling) installed on my machine? Luckily, Ad-aware found it.

Allan

What did disabling and then enabling do?


Cleaned out any bad guys that would be leftover from the clean. If you restored to a previous date, you'd be infected again


RELATED QUESTION:
I have tried to do a system restore a few times. The system looked like it was doing it but then said that it could not. I recently learned that I had to run the DEFRAG utility in Safe Mode. Is this the same for RESTORE?

No, defrag is different.




"Hide" file extensions for known file types and "uncheck" Show hidden files and folders

What was the purpose? Can I show them again or at least the file extensions?


Some bad guys will install as hidden files.
You want to keep these hidden files hidden, so they won't get deleted.




In my signature below is also a tutorial on how to harden IE, a good read and very helpful to stop these things in the future.

I could not find it.


http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051



RELATED QUESTION:
What do you think of Firefox browser? I started using it and it seems okay for most sites. I found a few times when the graphics were not displayed correctly

.

Alot of users have gone to FireFox. I think it's very good.



Should I switch to your anti-virus software? How does it compare to Norton and the other major brands?

I've had very good luck with Grisoft AVG. It doesn't seem to slow my PC down as much as Norton's does. But it's your choice.



RELATED QUESTION
I have young children who are learning more about computers than their parents will ever know.  Can you recommend a good filtering program? I found out that NIS, even though tuned to the most restricitve setting, allowed many unwanted images come through Google. Also and unfortunately, Google's setting can be easily changed.

If you haven't read this link yet, It should help answer your questions.
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051


How easy is it to configure your firewall? Can this amateur do it?


Read the information they have at the site.



Thanks again for all your help. I am amazed at all the free help and programs out in the world. What makes folks like you do it? I think if these "hidden treasures" received more notice, Norton et al. would either go out of business or provide much better customer service! I will definitely write to PCWorld and thank them for highlighting some of these areas. Even this cheap guy (no cell phone and still a dial-up) will dig deep and send in a donation.

I will spread the gospel. 


Speaking for myself, I have grand kids that are starting to use the internet
and I work as a computer tech at a local high school.




Question – with all the anti-spyware, etc. I now have guarding my PC, why did I get exdl1.exe (and a sibling) installed on my machine? Luckily, Ad-aware found it.

Keep in mind, not one program will do it all.

Also, install that Zone Alarm Firewall. If you have issues with that, then try this one:
http://smb.sygate.com/download_buy.htm
The Personal one is free. I use it also.


1) Run Spybot-S&D
2) Go to the Mode menu, and make sure "Advanced Mode" is selected
3) On the left hand side, choose Tools -> Resident
4) check "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts
5) Restart your computer.


I suggest you do this:

Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/2579296667c772…ip/RdxIE601.cab

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Hi LD,

Took three steps backwards. :angry:

I installed ZoneAlarm. It prevent me from running some programs, but I was able to get most of them going. When I go to NetZero, however, I get connected, I get the toolbar, then I get nothing but a blue screen. I have it in my trusted zone, but still nada. The logon should take me to my.netzero.net. When I try to get to www.netzero.net, I just get a gray screen. It stops while in the middle of Opening page . . .

Just checked it again, The home page finally appeared. It took about ten minutes.

Next, I tried to run HijackThis. It runs the scan and then freezes. There is a Red message at the top – 015-Trust zone enumeration . . . I have to to get out.

I deleted HJ.exe and then got a new exe from the zip file.

Finally, ZoneAlarm keeps saying that I have only so many days left for my trail. I thought it was free. Yes - no?

I have a few more questions, but I'll wait until things are working better.

Allan
Hello again, Thanks for the quick reply. :thumbup: I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, ran CCleaner, rebooted, ran CCleaner again, and ran HijackThis. The program still froze with the same error message. :thumbdown: The new firewall will take 20 or more minutes to download so I'll do that later tonight. Why do the instructions say to Open/Run rather than Save? :scratch: Today has not been a good day. Now I am off to another frustrating experience – trying to learn Morse Code. Not doing too good in that area either. Your help is appreciated. Allan
Hi LD, I am still on the air. I am doadloading the firewall. ETA down to 15 minutes. Any ideas why HijackThis keeps freezing? :rant2: Allan P.S. You are exactly one month older than I :o .

015-Trust zone enumeration


Try this:

Download THIS file to your desktop.

Right-click on the deldomains.inf file and select 'Install'

Once it is finished your Zones should be reset.

Note, if you use SpywareBlaster and/or IE/Spyads, it will be necessary to re-install the protection both afford. For SpywareBlaster, run the program and re-protect all items. For IE/Spyads, run the batch file and reinstall the protection.

Then reboot and post a new log please.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI