This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm usually not this urgent but I'm trying to clean this computer up (have been for days) so I can get it back to the owners who have school work to do on it. The computer starts up kind of slow and there are some odd looking things in the Hijackthis log including a NO NAME Toolbar. Please take a look. ________________________________________________________________ Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 7:04:27 PM, on 5/1/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSubtract.exe C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.msn.com R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.msn.com R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = www.msn.com R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.msn.com R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = www.msn.com O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - (no file) O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\\Unload\hpqcmon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRISMSVR.EXE] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\PRISMSVR.EXE" /APPLY O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\Pavilion\XPHNABS3EN\plugin\bin\PCHButton.exe O4 - Startup: spamsubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSubtract.exe O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = ? O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ? O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll O20 - Winlogon Notify: OPXPGina - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\opxpgina.dll O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe O23 - Service: Softex OmniPass Service (omniserv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
Is this a different one then we just fixed? You're not repairing pc's and charging users for it are you?
This is the same computer as you helped me with before. I am not and would not charge for my services because I don't actually do anything but follow your directions. I am just a tad more knowledgable about computers than the friend that I am helping so I told them I'd take a look and see what I could do. I and they really appreciate the help. Also, I should add that the cd-rom reads cd's but freezes when trying to burn.
Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - (no file)

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Lets look at what's in the startup.

click Start> Run> type in Msconfig tap enter key.
look in the Startup. List everything there and point out which ones have a check next to it.
Deleted the toolbar noname and here is what was in the startup and all were checkmarked: hpsysdrv hkcmd hpqcmon hphupd05 hphmon05 KBD sgtray RECGAURD NvCpl nwiz <——-I've read mixed reviews on this one….what do you think??? shwicon2K Remind_XP ps2 mmtask PRISMSVR 2PortalMon igfxtray avgcc avgemc backupnotify rundll32 PCHButton hp psc 1000 series hpoddt01.exe Quicken Scheduled Updates spamsubtract spywaregaurd
Ok did the cleanup. Want me to post another HJT log? Any ideas about the cd-rom not burning but reading fine? THANK YOU!
Yes, post a HJT log.

Any ideas about the cd-rom not burning but reading fine

Have you tried updating the driver for it?
Yes. there was no update I have the latest one installed. The device manager says that it is working fine….but it's not. It will read with no problem but definately not burn. I even have to restart the computer just to get it to eject the cd that I tried to burn.
RECORD NOW that came with the computer and the regular one from windows where you drag files and the balloon shows up saying "you have files waiting to be written to a cd"
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 9:14:09 PM, on 5/1/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\OPXPApp.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSubtract.exe C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.msn.com R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.msn.com R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = www.msn.com R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = www.msn.com R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = www.msn.com O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\\Unload\hpqcmon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon05.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet /keeploaded /nodetect O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sunkist2k] C:\Program Files\Multimedia Card Reader\shwicon2k.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRISMSVR.EXE] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\PRISMSVR.EXE" /APPLY O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIEW] rundll32.exe nview.dll,nViewLoadHook O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\Pavilion\XPHNABS3EN\plugin\bin\PCHButton.exe O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [CleanUp!] C:\PROGRA~1\CleanUp!\CleanUp.exe /WindowsRestart O4 - Startup: spamsubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpamSubtract\SpamSubtract.exe O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = ? O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ? O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll O20 - Winlogon Notify: OPXPGina - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\opxpgina.dll O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe O23 - Service: Softex OmniPass Service (omniserv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softex\OmniPass\Omniserv.exe
Run hijackthis. Hit None of the above, Click Do a System Scan Only. Put a Check in the box on the left side on these:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] "C:\Windows\Creator\Remind_XP.exe"

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

Reboot.

That's all I see.

As for the cd burner, make sure the CD is the correct type. Some want -R or +R cd's. Did you check for a software up?
OK, I'll delete that last file. As for if it's the right cd I'm not sure. All I know is when I try to burn 1 single song it starts to and you can hear it thinking and running but 20 minutes later it's still running and won't spit the cd out or anything. I will just let them know that I could not fix the burner or to try cd+r's instead. I will be returning their computer tomorrow. Thank you for the help, I'll let them know to donate through paypal if they can. Bye for now! :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI