This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Problems With Internet Explorer And Outlook Expres

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

On about April 4, 2005 I discovered that I could no longer use Internet Explorer…I was being redirected to a page that begins with "Why does MSN look like this? Your browser cannot find our style and presentation information." Now all I get is "The page cannot be displayed." On the 12th, Outlook Express began to display "MSINM caused an invalid page fault in module SHLWAPI.DLL at 0167:70bd899f." Then we started getting the message "MSOE.DLL could not load." Today we get "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." The details say "MSINM caused an invalid page fault in module COMCTL32.DLL at 0167:bfbd0964." I have been using Firefox instead to do any Internet work, and can access my two mail accounts via that, but cannot use the online versions of Panda or Trend Micro Housecall because of the Internet Explorer problem. We have had several general protection and invalid page fault messages during these last 11 days. I used System File Checker to see what I could see. I had to restore several (!) .dll and some .exe and .vxd files from my installation disk. I ran the Winsock 2 Fix, ran AdAware SE Personal, SpyBot, and CW Shredder. AdAware found and fixed Alexa-related stuff. SpyBot found nothing. The daily AVG Free test says there are no viruses. WinPatrol has indicated twice now when I ran File Check that a command had been added "NUL=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\GLB1AZB.EXE" and also "NUL=C:\WINDOWS\Temp\_iu1402N.tmp." I have been tinkering with this computer since this happened, hopefully not more than I should have. I do have a Hijack This log file from today (the 15th), but don't know how to post it. I will certainly appreciate any help at this point that you can give me.
Hello homeedmom, welcome to the TC.

If you download and double click on this small app, it will restore all the default search fuctions for IE.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/IEFIX.reg



This how to post your hjt log.

Open HijackThis and select: Do a system scan and save a log file.

When the scan is finished, Click Edit> Select All> Edit> Copy> and paste its contents here [Add Reply].
Got IEFIX.reg and merged it with the registry, but Internet Explorer still won't give anything but "Page cannot be displayed." I ran Hijack This for a fresh log. Here it is:
Got IEFIX.reg and merged it with the registry, but Internet Explorer still won't give anything but "Page cannot be displayed." I ran Hijack This for a fresh log. Here it is:
Got IEFIX.reg and merged it with the registry, but Internet Explorer still won't give anything but "Page cannot be displayed." I ran Hijack This for a fresh log. Okay, I'm having trouble getting beyond the copy stage. Let me try once more.
Still nothing :( I followed your instructions exactly, but no go. Short of copying it and manually typing the log in, I don't know what to do next. Please advise, and thank you ahead of time for your help!
Went to the site you told me to and tried to download using autozip to unzip notepad_98.zip. Download sticks in starting message. Saving it to disk yields the message "'NOTEPAD.EXE' is not a valid Win32 application." What should I try now? Thank you for your patience!
I am running Windows 98SE. By deleting notepad.exe do you mean delete what I just tried to download, which wouldn't run, from both the desktop and the download file, or from the entire system? How do I do that? Sorry I'm so computer illiterate!
It should be located in C:\WINDOWS Search for and delete notepad. You can keep the notepad zip you just downloaded. After deleting the Notepad in the C:\windows directory, unzip the Notepad.zip file to C:\Windows
Found the C:\WINDOWS\notepad file and deleted it. Zip_auto_file (default) doesn't seem to be working. Should I download NOTEPAD.EXE to disk instead?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI