This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Can't Remove Java/byteverify

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My AVG Resident Shield is giving me the following message: Virus Detected! While opening file: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\ and the specific constantly changing file name here Virus identified Java/ByteVerify I have scanned with my AVG, Norton, Ad-Aware SE Personal & Spybot and find nothing. Can you help with this?
There is no Java Icon in my control panel however when I go to my dos "command prompt" and type in "jview" it says Java 5.00.3810
I've downloaded/updated my Java. This also required some Active-X updates. I then restated. Java icon now shows in my "control panel" but there is still no "cache tab" when I open the Java icon. Virus still there. What next?
When I double click the Java Icon a new box does open and the tabs are: General, Update, Java, Security & Advanced. I also used the “Update Now” tab under the “Update” tab to make certain I was fully updated. The message I get when I went online and initiated “Update Now” is “You already have the latest Java™ Platform on this system”. Under the “General Tab” I initiated “About” and get this information: Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_02-b09) Copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc. I did however notice that by going to the DOS command prompt that I get two different Java version listings depending on the directory I am at when I type “jview” . Notice the difference when I am at “C:\Documents and Settings\Claude” and then at “C:\>” Here is that result, cut & pasted from my “Command Propmt” : Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] © Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Claude>jview Microsoft ® Command-line Loader for Java Version 5.00.3810 Copyright © Microsoft Corp 1996-2000. All rights reserved. Usage: JView [options] [arguments] Options: /? displays usage text /cp set class path /cp:p
Here is what I did: 1. Installed “Cumulative Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB887797)” 2. Cleared - Recycle Bin, all Cookies, Internet Temp files (online & offline) 3. Restarted 4. Java/Byte Verify found in AVG Resident Shield still there 5. Turned Off “System Restore” 6. Scanned with (all up to date & vaults all cleared) Ad-Aware, AVG & Spybot. Found no problem 7. Java/Byte Verify found in AVG Resident Shield still there 8. Restarted in Safe Mode 9. Cleared - Recycle Bin, all Cookies, Internet Temp files (online & offline) 10. Scanned with (all up to date & vaults all cleared) Ad-Aware, AVG & Spybot. Found no problem 11. Restarted 12. Scanned with (all up to date & vaults all cleared) Ad-Aware, AVG & Spybot. Found no problem 13. Java/Byte Verify found in AVG Resident Shield still there What next?
Siggyx, Could you remember a very relaxed and happy feeling you had on your last vacation? Good, because you deserved that for helping me clean my system! No more Java/ByteVerify . Went to safe mode, searched every “.tmp” file and deleted them all. Also deleted the Temp directory in C:\WINDOWS\Temp then recreated it. All is well. Now…remember that vacation. Thanks, Claude

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI