This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Explorer Error Shprrprt.dll

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I can't open My Computer, My Doc.'s, etc… It's all errors. I'm brand new – please forgive my ignorance!

Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:02:18 AM, on 4/5/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL COMPUTER CHECK-UP\ACCAGNT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MMAESTRO\BWHEEL35.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB03.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT MANAGER\VIEWMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLDIAL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\WASHER\WWDISP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL COMPANION\COMPANION.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\SHELLMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOLTPSPD.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - {A7327C09-B521-4EDB-8509-7D2660C9EC98} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT TOOLBAR\VIEWBARBHO.DLL
O2 - BHO: ShprRprts - {2A8A997F-BB9F-48F6-AA2B-2762D50F9289} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Viewpoint Toolbar - {F8AD5AA5-D966-4667-9DAF-2561D68B2012} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT TOOLBAR\VIEWBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\MMaestro\BWheel35.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb03.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AOLCC] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL COMPUTER CHECK-UP\ACCAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "ls"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Window Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SKYPE\PHONE\SKYPE.EXE" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOLCC] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL COMPUTER CHECK-UP\ACCAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Index Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "ls"
O4 - Startup: America Online Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT TOOLBAR\VIEWBAR.DLL/CXTSEARCH.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} (cpbrkpie Control) - http://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/4021/ftp…23/cpbrkpie.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiq001.webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net
Hello Lynley24, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. I am going to try to help you to see if we can clean you up a little and then we will see how the computer is running.

First I need to tell you about aol, while I guess I can't take all of aol off of your computer, this item is one they install without even asking you and here is what it looks like:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT MANAGER\VIEWMGR.EXE and here is some information about this aol junk.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/libra…yer/index.phtml
http://computercops.biz/startuplist-4102.html
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=13470

Now this is an optional removal but I really believe unless you use it that it should go. Having read a little about it you should be thinking like that also. I will remove it and would like to remove a lot of other aol junk, tool bars etc. Take a look at what you are using. If there is anything you want gone that aol put there, just let me know. We can clean it all out and install a nice http://toolbar.google.com/ that blocks popups too if you wish.

1) Please download CCleaner from this link: http://www.ccleaner.com/ Take the time to review the instructions on the download page so that when I ask you to run it you will know what you are doing.

2) Start, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, look for and uninstall this item:
VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT MANAGER\VIEWMGR.EXE…could be any of those names.

3) Open Hijack this and choose "Do a system scan only" then check the box in front of these line items:

O2 - BHO: Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - {A7327C09-B521-4EDB-8509-7D2660C9EC98} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT TOOLBAR\VIEWBARBHO.DLL
O2 - BHO: ShprRprts - {2A8A997F-BB9F-48F6-AA2B-2762D50F9289} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL
SmartShopper
O3 - Toolbar: Viewpoint Toolbar - {F8AD5AA5-D966-4667-9DAF-2561D68B2012} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT TOOLBAR\VIEWBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Viewpoint Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT TOOLBAR\VIEWBAR.DLL/CXTSEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL
O16 - DPF: {9522B3FB-7A2B-4646-8AF6-36E7F593073C} (cpbrkpie Control) - http://a19.g.akamai.net/7/19/7125/4021/ftp…23/cpbrkpie.cab

Close all programs but HJT and all browser window, then click on "Fix Checked"

RIGHT click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete this folder if it is there:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\ >>> Folder

Run CCleaner then restart the computer and post a new log in this same thread along with any feedback you have.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Slyware Warrior
Hi PSKelly,

Everything you said to do was so clear and easy – thank you very much!!

I am having problems with my video card, or something, because I can only see everything the way it looks in "Safety" – huge and most of all AOL items are blacked out. In fact AOL tells me to reinstall it everytime I log on. I ignore it and read e-mails in small parts at a time, since everything is so BIG.

I get the following Error messages everytime I use the computer:

Cthelper has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL (AND SAYS TO RESTART)

Cthelper has caused an error in PIAPROXYY.DLL.

I have a new log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:05:49 PM, on 4/6/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MMAESTRO\BWHEEL35.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB03.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLDIAL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\WASHER\WWDISP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\AOLTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\SHELLMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOLTPSPD.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\MMaestro\BWheel35.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb03.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Window Washer] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\SKYPE\PHONE\SKYPE.EXE" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - Startup: America Online Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiq001.webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

I still can't get into my programs like My Doc.'s, My Computer, etc. without getting the original message. I'm sorry for being such a problem. I'll get rid of any programs that I installed as extras, if it will help….

I LOVE carp** Cleaner and Hijackthis – what a pleasure!!

Thank you very much for everything.
Lynda
OK, good job so far, let's stay after it there are other things we can try. First I need to show you this information, because this is one of the messages you are getting:
http://castlecops.com/startuplist-4370.html Open that link and read about CTHelper.exe. You may need this information if you are not familiar with MSCONFIG: http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
Using that information you can disable the item and any other running program you can see that you do not use on a regular basis and they can be started via Start, Programs if you do need them. Some programs have to run or the computer won't work right (I also need to say that I jumped from Windows98SE to WindowsXp so I know nothing about Me except it is a lot like 98 so I will do my best to advise you)
Here are links you can use to discover what need to run and what does not. You may even discover soom programs you do not even need and you can uninstall those in Add Remove Programs:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
http://computercops.biz/StartupList.html
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

These two 09 items are still in your log and they were supposed to be removed. Look back to my last post and see if you could have missed them, if so use the HJT instructions from above to check these items and remove them:
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SHOPPERREPORTS\BIN\1.0.4.0\SHPRRPRT.DLL (file missing)
This may very well be where your error message is coming from.

When you talk about original messages, I need the exact working of these messages. Keep a tablet handy and write them down word for word and post them for me.

Have you thought about contacting aol for advice. They are afterall your ISP and since it is asking to reinstall like that it could be a software issue with aol. You do pay them.

Try right clicking a blank spot on your desktop and then click properties, click on the settings tab to see what your screen resolution is. Mark down where the setting in the slider is and try making it smaller and then apply. It will reset the desktop resolution. If it does not help, you can always put it back where it was.

I was going to have you run SystemFileChecker, but I found this information while looking for instructions:
There is no System File Checker for Windows ME since Microsoft claims that Windows ME constantly checks the system files to make sure they are correct.
See if you can complete the above instructions and give me information about any messages you get..exact words, feedback from what we try and a new log when you are finished. Thanks…pskelley
Hi!

Huge successes and a few tiny details left!

The original error messages are gone, with the extra buttons closed and the CPU back in power! CControl is wonderful! So was the several times I closed the extras, and began to see what went to what…. All that show on my desktop are
my antivirus and the stupid mouse I have that has extras I don't need….

The Cthelper articles were very good, and that solved the most.
I still get misc. error messages, but I think that's because my picture is still only 16 bit, and can't be reset. I've scoured many places looking for information and /or settings besides the Settings when I right click….

AOL is monsterous in this condition! I read important e-mails in sections, and delete the rest…. The toolbar is almost all black, but I remember most of the buttons and use them "blind". :-P

The 2 extra buttons for Shoppers (09) will NOT go away….

I feel very, very good about this experience, and I am learning so much from you! This is great for me to do on my own with you and feel more in control, you know?

Now, how can we get my screen back to normal on this Windows ME, "Pavillion level" thing – minus the HP programming….? (It was $175.00 for the works – what can I say?! I didn't even know how to turn one on, at the time….) :X

I have a N'Vidia card that was too much for it last year and I had to take it out. With all of the CPU back from removing the Cthelper sucking out the energy, rebooting to stop the ME memory leaks, etc, do you think it would add memory and help? Oh! I have more memory to install, too. I just need a friend to remind me how to get the compter to recognize it when I install it– it's been awhile.

THANK YOU!!!
Lynda

My much shorter Log!:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:38:05 PM, on 4/8/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\SHELLMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOLTPSPD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MMAESTRO\BWHEEL35.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiq001.webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net
OK Lynda, Sounds like we are making some good progress, a few questions:
All that show on my desktop are

my antivirus and the stupid mouse I have that has extras I don't need….
What are we talking about here?

A shortcut on the desktop you don't want? Please explain.

I still get misc. error messages, but I think that's because my picture is still only 16 bit, and can't be reset

I can't say enough how important the exact wording is with error message. You can type the exact wording into Google and almost always return information to help you fix the problem. While I am a little unsure about your operating system, if the monitor seems to be an issue, it could be that you need to update some drivers. I would drag out the old monitor manuel and look for troubleshooting information or search online for your monitor and model number looking for troubleshooting information and faq's.

AOL is monsterous in this condition! I read important e-mails in sections, and delete the rest…. The toolbar is almost all black, but I remember most of the buttons and use them "blind". :-P

I call it aohell…have you contacted them? If you are paying the $$ there is no reason to put up with that. I just booted up a bread new Dell 4700 for the first time, and the first thing I did was search for anything aohell and remove it from my new computer. Have you considered optional ISP's? Is this DSL? Tell me a litle more about this issue.

While I do not know if this will help, it is worth a try:
Click "Start", "Settings", and then click "Control Panel". Open the "Display" applet.
Click on "Desktop", "Customise Display…" and "Web".
In the box under "Web pages" look for a checkbox named "Security". If found select it and click "Delete".
I ran this through on my computer which is working correctly and the "Security" box was not there. If you do not see it, close the windows and save the information for future reference. A lot of folks are having desktop issues that this method seems to correct and the box is added by malware of some kind.

I don't think I have had you in safe mode? If you need information about accessing diagnostic "Safe mode": http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html
One day when you feel good about trying something new, try to remove those extra buttons in Safe Mode, and I hope I am not repeating myself, but you should search for items like this: ShopperReports, SHPRRPRT.DLL and if you locate any navigate to them and delete them. Often the removal tools can't get it all and it takes manual work to get it done.

Now, how can we get my screen back to normal on this Windows ME, "Pavillion level" thing – minus the HP programming….? (It was $175.00 for the works – what can I say?! I didn't even know how to turn one on, at the time….) :X

Another thing I would suggest is that you pester HP for help. Even if your warranty is no longer valid, a good technician will try to help if you give them the information they need to do so. Remember to say I have a example: 00400234cu57 error message. An error message alone does not do it as there are so many possible error messages. Look around the HP website in tech support areas, there may be an online chat that is free or at least there will be email contact. They do try to help as they want to sell you the next computer you buy.

do you think it would add memory and help? Oh! I have more memory to install, too. I just need a friend to remind me how to get the compter to recognize it when I install it– it's been awhile.

Not sure what you mean in the line highlited in red, but adding memory is always a good thing and the least expensive way to upgrade your computer. Search Google for "adding ram" without the quotes or search HP tech sites for how to do it on your computer. When I added ram to my first computer I was lost and I searched Compaq and actually found a color step by step tutorial showing me how to do it…lol.

Your log:
I see this: O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll but do not see a RealPlayer (I remove them from my computers also) If you no longer have a RealPlayer that item can be removed also. If you just have RealPlayer turned off in MSCONFIG and do use it sometimes, then leave the button.
Beside the aol junk and the O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports, and these items are probably no harm just clutter, you log looks great. I don't think I have provided you with this info yet, but these folks are some of the most knowledgeable in the malware removal business: Here is some great information from Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler to help you stay clean and safe online:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=14
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Thanks…Phil Skelley
Dear Phil,

I first of all want to thank you for helping me and for the links and information you have shared with me! I am not able to do very much with my computer at the moment due to a family emergency – my mother had to have a hip replacement, and is not doing very well. Since I am running around for her, and visiting her in the rehab. place, I'm not focused and available to work on things, as I would like to….

I didn't want you to think I just left you in a hit and run!

The best thing you have given to me is the confidense to explore new areas of this little thing, and that's a true gift. Now if I only had a decent picture – lol…. I did go into safe mode and try deleting more things, and I shut down more running items in "msconfig" as I began to see what goes with what…. And I added more fre downloads that are highly rated to block the hijackers, etc.

This is my current (happily shorter) log. If there is anything alarming or important here, let me know, okay? Until later, I thank you very much – I am sending a donation, and I'm calling AOL tomorrow about this picture and all their STUFF that is sucking up my energy and taking up space.

Hey, I do believe I'm proud of me! ;)
Take care, you're terrific at this!

Love from,
Lynda

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:49:57 AM, on 4/15/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MMAESTRO\BWHEEL35.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB03.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\MMaestro\BWheel35.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb03.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiq001.webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
Hi Lynda, I first want to say I am very sorry your Mother is not doing well. I would encourage you to spend all of the time you can with her. I know it is hard but my Mom is gone and you will cherish every moment of your time together even though it may seen a little tough right now. Don't worry about computers, a new one can be purchased, but she is one of a kind. My prayers are with you and you family and I do believe they work.

I will look at the log now and offer what I can. I can say that I started out troubleshooting before I starting focusing all of my attention on malware and I may have more suggestions, I just don't remember that I do…lol. :blink:

didn't want you to think I just left you in a hit and run!

I will leave this thread open, you post when you can. Don't worry about me, there are thousands of logs that no one can get to so I have lots to do.

Hey, I do believe I'm proud of me!

Lynda, you have come a long way since you typed the first line Apr 5 2005, 04:41 AM. Hey, you were up pretty early in the morning? Or is your time different than mine? I am in Clearwater, Florida.

The LOG: I have a little time this morning, so I will breakdown your log and give you some information. If I state something wrong, let me know. In looking at the top of the log, I see you have AVG and it is a great free program. Keep it updated and run it on a regular basis and it will do much towards keeping you safe from bad suff. I use this software for all my friends, family and clients. I myself use McAfee but the is because I have for years and they allow me to run it on three computers for the same low price.

Your mouse is a new one on me: bwheel35.exe. http://castlecops.com/startuplist-1945.html Keep it clean inside and if it is clean but still acts up look at updating the driver.

HP Printer: O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb03.exe A HP computer? I have a HP Photosmart 7660 but it is attached to a Dell 4550.

Explorer Error Shprrprt.dll
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
We need to get these leftover buttons removed. You may have to use safe mode if you get a message about not being able to remove the because they are running. Here is what I want you to try: RIGHT click on Start then click on Explore. Locate the C:\Windows folder and open it. Then locate the System folder and open it. Now locate this file and delete it: SHDOCVW.DLL You may also need to "Enable hidden file":
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

I see nothing else in the log that should be causing you issues. There is always the possibility something is there that HJT can not see. I can give you a tool (free trial version) that will do a deep scan looking for such an item if you wish.

Since I have to assume this is an older HP computer running Windows ME I have to believe your issue might have to do with old drivers for your monitor. I would go to the website of your monitor and using the model number, locate and download the newest driver for your monitor to see if that fixes the problem.

I also encourage you to keep a handy pad near the computer and write down word for word the exact spelling of any error message you receive. You can then enter that information into http://www.google.com/ or post it for me and I will search. I would also like you to (when time permits) go here: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo…ard.id=sw_winme You will need to register free to post, then describe your issue to the best of your ability. There are some knowledgeable folks there perhaps they will be able to help. My WinMe knowledge is weak as I said earlier.

Post when you can…Phil Skelley
Hi Phil, I tried to delete the DLL file you pointed out in perfect detail, but it won't go in regular or Safe Modes…. Windows keeps insisting it is running and it must be there. :-P What I can't get over is how easy it is to follow your directions! Take care and thanks, again! Lynda
Morning Lynda, Please always show me a log after you complete a process. It's like my xray…lol. Once I see that new log then I will have a better idea of how to proceed. Thanks…Phil
Hi Phil,

I finally got an error message that tells me what going on with my picture:

Rundll32 has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL
…. try restarting your computer.

I get this when I try to open the "options" box in my Windows/Properties/Settings
after I right click on my homepage. This must be why I can't change my settings to "16 bit high color", as usual….

My pc is a 2000 HP Pentium with Windows ME, but after the ActiveX portions get hijacked and it crashed, I couldn't reinstall the software that came with it, because it was faulty. Just like ME and a lot of other things!! I wiped out the harddrive, starved the memory to get rid of the bug, and then installed plain old ME and every other program, one at a time. So – there is no HP prioritary junk on here anymore. (BTW, the whole moniter, pc, awful printer package came for $175 plus a few years of MSN required to purchase, and we got this for my mother – in case you're wondering why the heck anyone would touch this!) I didn't know how to even turn one on, at the time, and lost all my stuff in two different "freebie" pc's that were given to me, so I'm here with hers now. Sadly, this is the best one I've ever had!!

Anyway, here's my log, and I will just add that I bought a videocard to give me more memory that had to be pc, but it was too powerful for this as it was. I have more memory to add, and I have turned off a lot of running processes, so I am wondering if it will work now….. It was great, but I could never close out my computer, until I removed it. I'm using an old moniter that is what I had – I know it is the lost dll's that is causing this problem, but I don't trust just any pc rescue programs off the internet to straighten it all out – there are plenty of errors, though.

If you want my system information, I can find it and show you….

Thanks!!
Lynda

PS: the mouse is a BTC that came with programming to click on the wheel to shortcut to stuff I never do. It just doesn't work without running the program – another "mistake" in the "buying things on sale" department of learning! But I couldn't use the rollerball one!!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:47:13 PM, on 4/17/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MMAESTRO\BWHEEL35.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB03.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\WAOL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0A\SHELLMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOLTPSPD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\MMaestro\BWheel35.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb03.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL TOOLBAR\TOOLBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare product prices - {E77EDA01-3C56-4a96-8D08-02B42891C169} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ShopperReports - Compare travel rates - {946B3E9E-E21A-49c8-9F63-900533FAFE14} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL
O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client) - http://webiq001.webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {37DF41B2-61DB-4CAC-A755-CFB3C7EE7F40} (AOL Content Update) - http://esupport.aol.com/help/acp2/engine/aolcoach_core_1.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.av.aol.com/molbin/shared/m…,20/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net
Let's talk about the two 09 items first. You have assured me that you tried to remove C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL in both regular mode and safe mode. Let's try this: Open HJT and choose Open the Misc Tools section. Then click on Delete a file on reboot. Use the look in box to navigate to the item, make sure you get the right one. When you have it in the Look in box then click on open. You will need to follow the instruction HJT gives you at that point. It is going to set up the file to be removed on reboot. Once you restart hopefully the item will be gone. Then give it another go at removing those line items with HJT. Post another log. If that does not do it we will try Killbox. Are you still receiving error messages from those item? I do not think they can hurt anything as the program they are buttons for is long gone, but I want them gone from your log if possible.

Rundll32 has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL

See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=138835
Some general information:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc…+MMSYSTEM%2EDLL

I do not think you have a lost .dll, that would be easier to fix as .dll's are available for download at several places free. Look at the information in the MKB article carefully.
After you have reviewed all the information, try this Resolution to see if it fixes your problem.
RESOLUTION
To correct this problem, follow these steps:
1. Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to edit the System.ini file.
2. Add the following line to the [boot] section of the file:

drivers=mmsystem.dll

3. Save and then close the System.ini file.
4. Restart your computer.

And as a final thought, I have located a fix for your problems:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/c…s=19&l;=en&s;=dhs

Phil :wavey:
Dear Phil, Well…. I had already added the code to the Boot section, and it didn't fix anything, but it's still there today. (I had read that on Google on my own – two points!) I tried to do the procedure in HJT, but I couldn't figure out how to get the file to open to put the specific extra buttons in there. I feel pretty dunb about that! The Dell link won't open for me, probably because I don't have an account there. I'm ready for anything to repair this picture!! Are the pc programs that tell you what errors are found and fixes them a bad idea? Probably, or you would have had me download and run one by now. The idea of a "quick fix" is SO tempting after all this time! Thanks for sticking with me, Phil! Lynda
Hi Lynda, You should have no problem with this Dell link:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo…ard.id=sw_winme This will take you to a Windows ME Dell forum. Even though it says "Dell Forum" The folks who help there are not Dell employees and they will help anyone. There are some really knowledgeable volunteers there. You will have to register but that is free, My limited knowledge about the ME Operating System puts you at a disadvantage here. The second Dell link:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.as…s=19&l=en&s=dhs
was my idea of a joke, and should take you to were you can look at nice new Dells…lol.

Are the pc programs that tell you what errors are found and fixes them a bad idea?

I am not sure what programs you are referring to. Mention a name and I will research it. Here is one I use on my computers thay may help. PCPitStop also has a nice free forum, so after you see the results, if you have questions you can register free and post questions there. http://www.pcpitstop.com/ Follow the instruction and the scan may spot something as they do a diagnostic of the monitor as part of the scan. I wish to mention that when this issue is resolved, I would like to hear how it was done, that may help others in the future…Thanks.

Since you could not remove the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL item with HJT, I will give you Pocket Killbox to do the job. Please review the instructions so you will know what you are doing.
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=320

I am also giving you the link to the Public Library, this is available to anyone who knows where it is and something there may help you one day.
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewforum.php?f=4

I am fairly sure this item is not causing the issues you are having, but if it is gone we can be 100% sure.

Good luck…Phil
Dear Phil, I got your hint on the Dell page, but that's not an option right now! I just went there and logged in with my question, so now I'll see what happens. (Same name, etc. under the ME topic.) Last night I installed RegistryFix to just clean up my crazy registry errors, etc. – I had a zillion of them and at least now I know all is in an up to date program that will be comsistent in keeping my registry in shape. It didn't fix my resolution problem, but I don't get any error warnings at all, and I'm down to just one problem – the onset of of visual disorders! (and the possibility of losing it and smashing my moniter – the poor thing!) I'm getting a computer on Saturday given to me – all details unknown, except the owner. I'm not holding my breath, but if it has XP in it, I'm going to be very happy! (and parts is parts, right?) Actually, this Pentium can be upgraded to a decent little thing – it's the ME that is the main problem – and the motherboard limitations, the need for AGP slots, the box, the size of the harddrive, the age…. :-P) BTW, I built my own Athelon 1800, but I think I may have killed the motherboard needing a less than $10 fan – in Arizona. Oh, my head! My heart!! It won't start, and I've had to put off the work for a year due to family matters. I just need XP and that fan, as far as I can remember. Maybe a new motherboead and chip set…. I'm off to figure out this Killbug (?) program I just downloaded per your request…. Thanks! Lynda

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI