This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Where Is Whenusave?

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ha! Leprechauns doing the Macerena! Good Visual :D Weird that MWAV craps outs on you all the time. I would think about emailing the author(s) and letting them know about the bug. If its happening to you… chances are it happens to others as well. As for that broswing issue while doing the scan…. :blink: I have no idea what could have happened there. Have a good one… sposed to be about +20 here today… YAY! :wavey:
Hi Kota! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, we had some major excitement this past weekend. Not only was it gorgeous 20+ weather, but my best friend won that Cash for Life scratch contest ($2000 a week for life, not too hard to take). We spent the weekend house shopping, naturally. So I got a reply back from MicroWorld about their Toolkit. They recommended that I uninstall Mcafee to run their program. Not too comfortable doing that, though I could probably uninstall theirs and reinstall mine later. Just seems like a lot of work just to get their scan to run. I've downloaded the latest version of their Toolkit, still have the same problem. I think I'm going to go a different route, I have a sneaking suspicion that my current Access Manager may not use those keys and that they're leftover from a previous version of Sympatico that my Dad used to run. I think I'll contact Bell Tech Services and ask them what they think. I may be able to delete those keys or rename them, who knows! Or I may go out and buy a lottery ticket…….then I could just get a brand new work mule! :D Take care and have a great day! Amanda
Wow! I hate your friend! :D Seriously though, that is excellent. I could definately handle that. Congrats to your friend! The thing about Mcafee doesn't surprise me, just had an experience where Mcafee was detecting HJT as a virus and wouldn't let the poster use it… had to disable Mcafee :P Let me know what you figure out.
I know, <_< I have to hate the fact she won and I didn't too….but truly it couldn't have been a more deserving couple that won. She really needed that, they've had a rough go of it so far and this win will take a lot of their stress away. I'll just have to buy more scratch tickets! :D Well, that registry key seems to be from an older version of Access Manager. I contacted Bell, then deleted it when I got confirmation. Everything seems to be running fine, so I haven't felt the need to restore it. So how about MicroWorld's scan? You won't believe it, but after deleting that particular key and restarting the computer it STILL stops at 82 files scanned. Not only that, when you check to see where it's stopped it says it was in the middle of scanning the key I have deleted. It can't be scanning the key in the backup file, can it? I wouldn't think so….. :huh: And, just in case anyone's wondering, Panda still detects WhenUSave no matter what I do. I don't think I'm ever going to figure that one out for sure. Oh well, sunny and 15 here today. Think I'm going to take the dog for a drag and try to figure the MW thing out. Take care! Amanda
Bizzarre that Mwav is doing that to you. Even more so now that you've trashed the Key it is hanging on. Again, you may want to let the Mwav authors know about this bug. I don't think it has anything to do with scanning backups… never know though. As far as Panda goes… isn't there a log you can examine after an ActiveScan? If so, could you maybe post whatever Panda is finding? Might be able to pinpoint something for ya.
Hi! I've sent a mail back to MW about the problem with their toolkit, I'll wait to see what they have to say about it. It is truly bizarre, isn't it? Oh well, guess that's what I get for living in the Land of Weird. As for Panda, I wish it would say something. When the report comes up all it says is "Windows Registry" where it's supposed to give a file name. There's no telling where they're detecting it, which is why I wondered if it was a ploy of some sort. Not that I'm accusing anyone of anything. Ahem. :blink: Has to be a false positive. Well, guess I'll wait until MW gets back to me on that one. No problems with my internet access otherwise, so I guess I'm safe as far as I know for the moment. I'll let you know what they say! Take care, Amanda
Ok, I'm going to need some help on this one. The advice from MW was to remove their Toolkit and restart the mule, then download the program and try scanning again. I did all of that, but when I downloaded the Toolkit for the second time and opened it I found that only the "Services" section was checked. And of course, while scanning the Services section it stopped at 82 files and the missing key. MW's theory was that their program takes a quick inventory of anything in my registry before it gets scanned. It only happens once the first time you run their program. If MW doesn't remove it, it doesn't count it as actually gone. So not only have I stumped their scanner, I've completely baffled it because I've removed that key. So now the challenge is to completely remove all traces of the MicroWorld Toolkit from this machine so that the next time I download it it starts off like it's running in uncharted territory. If, after all that, the ghost of VxD comes back to haunt me, then I truly don't know. I'll have to look at the problem from another angle because I refuse to believe that this machine is smarter than I am. No matter how convincing the evidence! Note from Amanda's machine: :dumb: Have a great day! Amanda

MW's theory was that their program takes a quick inventory of anything in my registry before it gets scanned. It only happens once the first time you run their program. If MW doesn't remove it, it doesn't count it as actually gone. So not only have I stumped their scanner, I've completely baffled it because I've removed that key.


…. :blink: :scratch: :blink: :scratch:

WTF??

Why would they code it like that? With all the programs that make changes to registry and what not… :blink:

That just doesn't make sense.
I didnt read this entire thread, but I take it you are shopping around for a reliable AV The messiest logs I have ever cleaned, had Panda anti virus installed. In Panda's defense, the posters may have installed it after the problems started, but this is merely my experience. I know people who swear by Panda also. I just wanted to give an unbiased users opinion. I can't give an opinion on McAfee, because it would be biased! ;)
Hi 'Terminal! I seem to be having the weirdest problems with this mule. I just don't know, Panda doesn't like me at all I don't think. And to top it all off I CAN'T GET RID OF MICROWORLD! It's worse than getting rid of sticky spyware. I followed the directions I had and deleted the zipped file on my desktop. Then I searched for any files named MicroWorld or MWAV and deleted them. Then I went in to the registry (following the instructions in their Knowledge Base) and looked for a key that said MicroWorld or something (at the moment can't remember what it was exactly) but it wasn't there. Ran a search through the registry and deleted anything that said MWAV. Rebooted and downloaded Toolkit again. And, TADA! It remembered me. It opened up with only the Services section checked and stopped at 82 files. I must not have removed all traces of it's previous existence, though I can't figure out where it could be hiding. I sent an email back to the original Support Tech Guy/Gal from MW that responded the first time and asked how to remove ALL traces of their scanner. We'll try it again and I'll let y'all know. I'm thinking they must code the freeware version of their scanner like that, it may be different if you licence it. Though you're right Kota, it makes no sense to me either. I'm almost tempted to buy their licence to see, but as I need all the cash I can get to buy lottery tickets lately I think I'll wait until I win the big one. :D Hey Terminal, would that be a good biased opinion on Macafee or bad? I have to love my Macafee, I had so many problems with Norton it made me gnash my teeth. Like chewing on tinfoil, that was. Though I too have seen people swear by something I couldn't stand. To each his own, or her own, I guess! And by the way, that is some cute baby you've got there! Didn't notice the piercings right away, too busy ooohing and ahhing. Too funny! Take care guys! Amanda
I tried installing Panda once… lasted all of about 3 hours. Messed up my connection seriously. Think it had something to do with their Protocol filter. Whatever it was… I was glad to be rid of it… so was my machine. Mmmm…. tinfoil :P
Apparently tinfoil only tastes good if it was once encasing chocolate. Friend's four year old ate all the little chocolate eggs at Easter with the tinfoil on them. Sparkly toilet moments soon followed. When I had Norton there was no chocolate involved, unfortunately! Still haven't heard back from MW, maybe because it's the weekend. I don't blame them for not being in front of their computers, it's gorgeous out here today! Talk to you later! Amanda
WHOA, I think I just found a whole list of bad sites in my registry! I was doodling around in regedit and found a whole whack of sites under the following string: HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\Zonemap\Domains Some of the sites listed are, well, not for sensitive eyes. We're talking stuff like hardcoreporn.com. I KNOW I WAS NEVER THERE. Don't laugh, I wasn't….really I wasn't. And not only are there sites with nasty words in them…..I also found…..(drumroll please)…..WHENUSAVE!!!! Yay! Hooray! All that other stuff! Anyways, I want to delete all the sites listed under that string BUT I want to be sure that I'm not messing with some anti-spyware program's list of restricted sites. I suppose I could back up the registry and delete all those values, then try and update all my stuff to see if anything downloads an update. That is, I should make sure everything is up to date first, then back it up, then delete the nasties, then try to update. That's what I'm trying to say. I don't think these values are related to any program, at least they don't look like they're related to anything, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone have any thoughts? Amanda
Hi Amanda… copy/paste the following quote box into a new text document,

; DelDomains.inf
; Created by: Mike Burgess  Microsoft MVP
; http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/
;
; Warning: Deletes all entries in the Restricted & Trusted Zone list
;
; To execute this file: in Explorer - right-click (this file)
; Select Install from the Menu.

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=DelTemps
AddReg=AddTemps

[DelTemps]
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"

; Recreate the keys to avoid a restart

[AddTemps]
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges"


Save it as "DelDomains.inf". Save as "All" File Types. Right click on it after you've saved it, and select install from the drop down menu. It should clean all those entries up for you.
Rats, my wrist wishes I had seen your post before I deleted them all manually! Oh well, guess I'll have to learn to be more patient next time! I'll do the above as well, just in case I missed something. Thanks Kota! Amanda

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI