Well, the good news is that Google returned as the default home page when I rebooted (first time since our initial fix). Unfortunately, about:blank came up the second time I opened IE.
Also, I had a problem getting through this fix that may have introduced additional processes that needed to be killed but I could not identify. As I neared the end and began to run AboutBuster, my "Security Manager" provided by my ISP (Comcast) shut it down and rebooted the system. When I went back into HJT there were additional processes that came up that I don't believe were there before. In any case, I'm just guessing, but it seems as if I muddled through this and failed to fix or remove necessary processes, thanks to the reboot.
Prior to the unplanned reboot, on the initial (re-)try, RPC and the short name were never successfully identified through HJT misc tools.
Also, the following were not found:
HJT:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1DF6F759-A37F-233E-D7C5-4616756486A6} - C:\WINNT\sdkqo32.dll
O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\atlnr.exe (file missing)
Win Exp:
C:\WINNT\atlnr.exe
C:\WINNT\sdkqo32.dll
other file extensions of any of the 4 filenames
no such folder:
c:\windows\prefetch
Everything else was successfully identified/fixed/removed.
Maybe this approach can work if I can dodge the reboot, which I s/b able to prevent. (It did not shut down AB at the end of the next pass through your instructions, but on that pass the only item I found in HJT from the original list was R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing)
Thanks,
Mark
+++++
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:09:22 AM, on 4/7/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\program files\comcast\security manager\app\CurtainsSysSvcNt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Comcast\Security Manager\app\Prism.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\TridTray.Exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\MySoftware\NewsFlsh.exe
C:\WINNT\wincx32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\atluf.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Security Downloads\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINNT\dptoq.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINNT\dptoq.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINNT\dptoq.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINNT\dptoq.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINNT\dptoq.dll/sp.html#28129
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINNT\dptoq.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINNT\system32\AUserInit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {874FD285-C47C-21B9-74B1-5FF2295BC3DD} - C:\WINNT\system32\javaue.dll
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe" /server
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PBReboot] c:\windows\rundll.exe c:\windows\system\setupx.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 2 c:\windows\reboot.inf
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TridTray] TridTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atluf.exe] C:\WINNT\system32\atluf.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [wincx32.exe] C:\WINNT\wincx32.exe
O4 - Startup: MySoftware NewsFlash.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\MySoftware\NewsFlsh.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check.lnk = C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV03.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SpySubtract.lnk = C:\Program Files\interMute\SpySubtract\SpySub.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: ComcastHSI - {669B269B-0D4E-41FB-A3D8-FD67CA94F646} - http://www.comcast.net/ (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Support - {8828075D-D097-4055-AA02-2DBFA9D85E8A} -
http://www.comcastsupport.com/ (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Help - {97809617-3937-4F84-B335-9BB05EF1A8D4} -
http://online.comcast.net/help/ (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: ComcastHSI - {55115FE6-33AE-4F7D-A2D2-162E1C6AA4F5} - http://www.comcast.net/ (file missing) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: Support - {876E60E4-B886-4E2D-A2A8-99BB468BA4BD} -
http://www.comcastsupport.com/ (file missing) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra button: Help - {CF855F93-166F-45E4-8FFF-E6692C62B738} -
http://online.comcast.net/help/ (file missing) (HKCU)
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.comcast.net/
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {A8683C98-5341-421B-B23C-8514C05354F1} (FujifilmUploader Class) - http://photo.walmart.com/photo/uploads/Fuj…ploadClient.cab
O23 - Service: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Helper ( 11Fßä#·ºÄÖ`I) - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\atlnr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Curtains for Windows System Service (CurtainsSysSvc) - Authentium, Inc. - c:\program files\comcast\security manager\app\CurtainsSysSvcNt.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe