Place a check by everything in the Applications tab.
Place a check by Internet Explorer, Windows explorer, and System in the Windows tab.
Hit the button that says Run CCleaner
Reboot to remove index.dat files.
CCleaner also has some other useful features:
Cookies: In CCleaner, you can customize which cookies to delete and which to keep, so you won't lose valuble logon information. To do so, open CCleaner, then go to Options>Cookies. Select the name of a website you logon to often (For example, forums.tomcoyote.org). Then, click the '–>' button so it's in the 'Cookies to keep' list. Repeat this for any other cookie you wish to keep. To place a cookie back on the 'Cookies to Remove' list, simply select the cookie and hit the '<–' button.
Uninstall manager: It's a tool to let you uninstall programs, and rename and delete uninstall entries.
Cookies: In CCleaner, you can customize which cookies to delete and which to keep, so you won't lose valuble logon information. To do so, open CCleaner, then go to Options>Cookies. Select the name of a website you logon to often (For example, forums.tomcoyote.org). Then, click the '–>' button so it's in the 'Cookies to keep' list. Repeat this for any other cookie you wish to keep. To place a cookie back on the 'Cookies to Remove' list, simply select the cookie and hit the '<–' button.
143934
I have Webroot's Window Washer program, which has a Cookie Wizard which does something similar. Will doing this with CCleaner cause a conflict?
I probably should have run that before I hit the clean button, as it has now erased all of the cookies I'd previously saved.
It says it removed 46 MB of stuff, but I didn't see anything that said "StartPage" on it.
On reboot, the System Performance is at 64%, and those programs still aren't listed in the Add/Remove application in the control panel (although, I should be able to use the unistall manager in CCleaner instead, right?)
Are they really not there or is there a blank area. Be sure to look ALL they way down to the bottom.
There is no blank area. It lists everything that I've installed in the last few days (MS Office, the Lexmark printer, and all of the Cleaning programs we've been putting in). There should be stuff listed there for MusicMatch, AOL, games, burner software, etc.
Now, there's a new problem. Programs are freezing in mid-load: MusicMatch played the intro sound, but got stuck before opening the program. AOL froze before the start up screen could complete. One of the things I installed today must be doing this, right? Maybe the AVG scan thing?
Just to let you know, when I got online and typed in the address to come to the forum, the page opened and closed very quickly. It only stayed open the second time I did it. This isn't the first time this has happened since I got infected by this thing.
Okay, the result from the find.bat thing:
Volume in drive C has no label
Volume Serial Number is 2A5F-12E5
Directory of C:\
16,559.67 MB free
Download StartDreck from HERE. Unzip to its own folder and start the program:
UnZip the startdreck.zip file first. DoubleClick: 'StartDreck.exe'
First click on the config button.
Now click the Unmark all button
Put a check by these boxes only:
*Registry->run keys
*Registry->Browser helper objects
*System/drivers> Running processes
hit >ok.
Now click the Save button to save that log. Go to the StartDreck folder and find the Startdreck.log file.
Copy and Paste the contents of that log back here and await further instructions.
This is the file that keeps loading the hijack:
C:\WINDOWS\CONFOG.TXT
We will have to boot to DOS to delete the file.
Restart your computer
Press the F8 key until the startup menu appears.
Choose the Command Prompt only option then press Enter.
From c:> cd\windows
C:\windows> del CONFOG.TXT
Reboot.
Okay, when I rebooted, I got this message:
RUNDLL
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\CONFOG.TXT
The system cannot find the file specified.
I assume this is a good thing?
What do I do next? How do I know for sure that it's really gone?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI