This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Spyware/trojan Issue, Pleeease Can You Help

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I am new to forum but have been trying since Dec 29th to correct a problem that fixed itself to my PC. Worked with Microsoft by phone a couple times because it started when I tried to update from ME to XP. Initially I was assuming it was just an upgrade problem but after having much trouble going online was told it was probably Spyware or a Trojan.

Purchased & installed Mcafee Internet Suite & did also run Stinger - detected & removed the W32 Sdbot worm & virus b & y, (which by the way has come back a few times). Have ran Ad Aware & Spy Bot again today (which has been finding new objects, some critical ) & have let them remove or quarantine them. Went to forums from Mcafee & after reading was directed to this forum for possible help.
I have plenty of Hard Drive space, have run Hijack this (log below) & did also run About Buster. I did, however, run the About Buster before Hijack This & not in safe mode so hope it did not make things worse by not following instructions properly. Usually this would not have happened but after a gazillion hours trying to fix this - well you know. I followed the HSAssistant directions up thru #4 & would appreciate if someone has time to review my log & help me. I ran a startup log as well if needed.
My PC does not have many programs (3 Photo editing) & the basic few prgrams from when I purchased in 2000. I have removed Roxio 6 for the time being & some other programs that I didn't need & some came back in my programs list (thought this might be a spyware issue too). I have disabled System Restore & opened hidden files as directed & feel ready to accept your instructions.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:55:14 PM, on 1/12/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServAd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServSuit.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFAGENT.EXE
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\notepad.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\hjack\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.intergate.com/startpage
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus…/search/ie.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus…//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Intergate
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows ServeAd] C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServAd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security Agent Manager] mssams.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Win32 Classes -
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.co…t/c381/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ACAA414-FCF1-468F-9442-71A7B6D2079E} (CitrixActivator Control) - https://www.myswa.com/maestroap/CitrixActivator.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/…pdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c…b?1104366761596
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server - Networks Associates Technology. Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe

Some of the entries I am not sure of are: WinServAd &Yahoo but I need the Maestroap Citrix activator. I have Intergate as an ISP provider, even though I don't use it on this computer & would like to remove the Intergate name that always appears at the end of all locations at the top of my screen when I am online. Thank You, Thank you Cloud ( I have also posted same on Short-Media
Hello Cloud , welcome to the TC.

This is what I suggest you do.

Download CWShredder from my signature below. Unzip it on the desktop.
Open CWShredder and with ALL other windows closed, click fix.


Go here and run online scans (all), allow them to delete whatever they find:

TrendMicro HouseCall
eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner
Panda ActiveScan
Note any thing that can't be fixed
Reboot when done.

Next:

Even if you've already run these, make SURE they're up-to-date and run per instructions.

Make sure you have the up-to-date versions of Spybot V 1.3 and Ad-aware SE Build 1.05 . All are free and available below.

Download Spybot, install and update. Then download Ad-aware, install, and update.

Spybot:

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
Next click the button "Check for Problems"
When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

Ad-Aware FULL SCAN:

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window :Click Start then under Select a scan Mode check Perform full system scan.
Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Hello & Thank you so much for your reply. I tried to run the scan from Panda ActiveScan but it was over an hour of scan time & nothing seemed to be actually working so I ctrl-alt-del & quit the scan. My computer icon at the bottom right wasn't showing any activity. I reconnected & am trying to do the scan again but it doesn't seem to be actually running even thought there is an hourglass when I have the mouse over the window. I do have Mcafee firewall and there is one program showing blocked Application Gateway Services so didn't know if I should unblock this or if that is the problem. I saw you were still online, so, if I just did not wait long enough plz let me know. When I ran Trend Micro the last time (which was yesterday) it only took about half an hour, as did Spybot. I did do the CW Shredder as instructed but it showed me clean of Cool Web. I was also able to rid myself of 5 DSO's yesterday by updating my Spybot with the fix. I have not updated to XP2 yet, wanted to take care of these problems 1st.I will l do the Trend Icro agin & try the dTrust before I post my log info. Cloud
If you're having trouble with the online scans you can skip those for now. Do the CWShredder, spybot and Ad-Aware. Then: Empty Recycle Bin Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread. Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
New HJT log after advice:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:58:01 PM, on 1/16/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServAd.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServSuit.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\hjack\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.intergate.com/startpage
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…/search/ie.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.myswa.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Intergate
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows ServeAd] C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServAd.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…t/c381/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ACAA414-FCF1-468F-9442-71A7B6D2079E} (CitrixActivator Control) - https://www.myswa.com/maestroap/CitrixActivator.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/1,0,0,7…pdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1104366761596
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server - Networks Associates Technology. Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe

Ran updates & scans as instructed. (Reason the Panda scan wasn't running was because there is a pop up ad for purchasing their product that has to be closed before it continues & I had just moved the pop up out of the way instead of closing it therefore it was waiting for a response from me which I was unaware of- go figure).

Problems are:

I have the Hijack Log folder on my desktop as instructed. When double clicking to open it my picture program, Zoom Browser, loads up instead. I figured out if I left click the folder & click Open it will open the folder normally. This also happens with the Super.dat log on my desktop & I'm not sure about the other programs yet.

When trying to open IE before from the desktop icon it would open incorrectly & show not connected to my ISP & often had the about blank page, I tried opening from the bottom taskbar by left clicking the IE icon there & clicking open which would open it correctly. I tried the desktop icon just now & it worked correctly. One other note, when checking the properties in IE it has this in the shortcut : %Homedrive %%HomePath . It had read last time it was checked a couple days ago: %%Home%%Home

Have not been able to do much other discovery since I wanted to go ahead & post this new log & will try some other programs to see what other problems there may be yet. Before this clean up, when running Ad aware & Spybot, the problems seemed to be gone for a few hours but after being online for some time my mouse would flicker as if there was something else running in the background even when no programs were opened.

I would like to get rid of Intergate that appears in my Title bar (ISP that I don't use on my home PC) it is at the top of every page that I view.

When running Ad Aware, it shows there are 800+ quarantined files. I emptied recycle bin but they were not there when looking at contents before emptying but got rid of the other stuff there. Is there something I need to do to get them out of quarantine or just leave them. Should the temporary internet files be deleted yet or wait till I hear from you.

My System Restore has been off for a week or so, should it be turned off? One more thing, I had my hidden files & extensions available but not the Hide protected operating system during the scans. Sorry if this is overload of questions but trying to cover what I can in case it's a while before you have a chance to respond.
Will keep you up to date & am grateful to you.

Cloud
I suggest you do this:

Run HijackThis again and put a check by these.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.intergate.com/startpage

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…/search/ie.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Intergate

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows ServeAd] C:\Program Files\Windows ServeAd\WinServAd.exe


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


Use Add/Remove Programs and remove:

Windows ServeAd


Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.




Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot


My System Restore has been off for a week or so, should it be turned off?


Lets turn it back on now. If you have system restore off and your system crashes, you don't have any restore points to go back to. In most cases you'll have to re-install windows. With system restore on, even if has problems, at least you can restore. When we get all clean, we'll turn it off then back on and create a new restore point.

Sorry if this is overload of questions


You can ask whatever you want :D I might not have the answer though.



I have the Hijack Log folder on my desktop


Lets do this with HijackThis:

Please put your HijackThis in it's own folder, (I create a new folder in C:\ named HJT).
You can do a Right Click on any open area on the desktop, New> Folder, then rename the folder HJT.

Go to where your HijackThis is and Right Click on HijackThis.exe, select Cut, then open the new folder you just created (HJT) Right Click in the folder and select paste.



"copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Hello Have run HJT & fixed checked. When I removed Windows ServAd , 2 separate boxes came up asking if I was sure that I wanted to loose all the value of this & I checked yes. After removing it from the programs list my dial up connection box appeared with a blank IE page behind it but I closed it. Re: " Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS. Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder." The temp folder has over 200 MB's of files & I hate to seem like I am not following thru with your instructions but just wanted to verify this before I continued. RE: "Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY LISTED USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder." There is no delete option , do I just hit the delete button on my keyboard? Thank you for your earlier quick response. :) There are 9 folders in the Doc & settings: Administrator, default user, network serv, etc am I to go into each folder separately & delete the temp folders in each one?

The temp folder has over 200 MB's of files & I hate to seem like I am not following thru with your instructions but just wanted to verify this before I continued.

Yes, remove them. The temp area is used to store lets say a new program you are installing. Once installed, that temp file isn't needed anymore but will hang out there taking up space on your hard drive. Another area is temp internet files. Whenever you visit a web site, you get cookies and a temp file. The purpose of this type of cookie / temp is the next time you visit that site, the site will load faster. At least that's what they say. So those aren't needed either. They just clog up your system and take up space.


There is no delete option , do I just hit the delete button on my keyboard? Thank you for your earlier quick response. 

You'll need to hightlight all the files in the temp directory. Make sure you are in a temp directory.
Edit> Select All> Right Click> select delete.

Did you turn on system restore?

Reboot

"copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
One more quick question please, I have 9 folders in my Document & Settings folder: Administrator, Default, Default users, Network service, etc. For clarification, do I need to open "each" folder then Local Settings/Temp & delete them I will Turn System Restore back on now.

One more quick question please, I have 9 folders in my Document & Settings folder: Administrator, Default, Default users, Network service, etc. For clarification, do I need to open "each" folder then Local Settings/Temp & delete them

Yes., for those that have a Local Settings/Temp folder. Not all will have one.
Emptied all temp folders, turned on system restore & here is my HJT new log:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 1:33:11 PM, on 1/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFAGENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.myswa.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…t/c381/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ACAA414-FCF1-468F-9442-71A7B6D2079E} (CitrixActivator Control) - https://www.myswa.com/maestroap/CitrixActivator.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/1,0,0,7…pdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1104366761596
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server - Networks Associates Technology. Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe

There are some entries above for yahoo messenger. I have not used this service for awhile & was sure at one time in the last couple weeks I deleted it from the programs list. Does this reset itself even though it had been deleted?

My computer is working faster right now & seems to be doing great so far. While you are here, I have a new laptop that I have not been using until I got these problems corrected (I had used it a few days before I realized this desktop was so screwed up). Should I be concerned about it having same problem since I used the same ISP for connecting? I am getting frequent hits at my connection according to the firewall log.

On my Firewall Internet Applications should I allow Application Gateway Service (alg.exe) or are you familiar with this?

There are some entries above for yahoo messenger. I have not used this service for awhile & was sure at one time in the last couple weeks I deleted it from the programs list. Does this reset itself even though it had been deleted?

Lets see if we can get rid of it.


I suggest you do this:

Run HijackThis again and put a check by these.

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0819.DLL



Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"




Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.


On my Firewall Internet Applications should I allow Application Gateway Service


Yes, I would allow it.

Process File: alg or alg.exe
Process Name: Application Layer Gateway Service

Description:
alg.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system. It is a core process for Microsoft Windows Internet Connection sharing and Internet connection firewall. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated


I have a new laptop that I have not been using until I got these problems corrected (I had used it a few days before I realized this desktop was so screwed up). Should I be concerned about it having same problem since I used the same ISP for connecting? I am getting frequent hits at my connection according to the firewall log.

I don't think your ISP had anything to do with the issues you had here. When we are finished with this one, you can always come back and Start a New thread, with the laptop.
New HJT log
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 3:08:27 PM, on 1/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFAGENT.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wpabaln.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Desktop\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.myswa.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskDetct.exe /startup
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…t/c381/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {5ACAA414-FCF1-468F-9442-71A7B6D2079E} (CitrixActivator Control) - https://www.myswa.com/maestroap/CitrixActivator.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/1,0,0,7…pdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co…b?1104366761596
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield - Unknown - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server - Networks Associates Technology. Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe

Do I fix -016 DPF Yahoo Chat?

When I shut down I got a window pop up that said end Program- EXPLORER.EXE This program not responding…. cancel or end now so I hit end now to restart.

I checked my msconfig , it has been set to selective start up for a few days now , & there are several entries there that are unchecked but I thought they would be gone:

msmsgs C:program files
mssams.exe
SysTray.exe
WinServAd. C:program Files \Wind…
ypager C:program Files\yahoo…
microsoft works cal

The only startups I have checked are the McAfee security suite. Is there a way to eliminate the others & do I need to change back to normal start from selective start? Thanks

Everything seems to be working very fast & no problems yet

Do I fix -016 DPF Yahoo Chat?



Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat -
http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…t/c381/chat.cab

Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

SysTray.exe You need this one, so put a check back on it.

Process File: systray or systray.exe
Process Name: Microsoft System Tray Services

Description:
systray.exe is a background process which displays information such as date and time. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.






Now you need to do this:

You need to update both Windows XP and Internet Explorere as they are both well behind in updates. They are both missing Service Pack 1 which is leaving you open to all kinds of problems.



Service Pack 1 for XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa…p1/default.mspx

Service Pack 1 for Internet Explorer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downlo…p1/default.mspx

Install then Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Hi again & thank you sooo much. I went to XP updates & it says I am current except for SP2, I thought I had already downloaded SP1. I did update to IE6 & will shut down & reboot a little bit later & send a logfile.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI