Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Spyware Carried In An Email?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wapiti

Wapiti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:41 PM

I was just told that a message sent was carrying spyware... ??? Can spyware actually be carried in an email message without attachments? This email message was sent intentionally by the sender, not sent by a virus. Just seems like someone's a little overly paranoid? Or that their spy-checking software, PestPatrol, is a little over anxious? He said that Pest Patrol found this particular email message to be the culpret. Can you set me straight on this?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Wapiti

Wapiti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:51 PM

No takers? If there's another forum that I should post this to, please let me know. Its a question thats been nagging at me for a while, and I'm just curious. Thanks. Mike

#3 snapdragin

snapdragin

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Computer security, Graphics/Art, Music

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:54 PM

Hi Wapiti, It would be difficult to answer your question without knowing exactly what Pest Patrol flagged as 'spyware' in the email. Many spyware today is also being detected as a virus or trojan by the anti-virus/anti-trojan programs now. i do not use PestPatrol myself, but any security program that brings up an alert on my computer, i look at it very carefully...whether it's through a web page, an email, or something i've downloaded. HTH, snap :)

#4 Wapiti

Wapiti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:53 PM

Yeah, I agree with you. There happens to be someone claiming that someone else sent them spyware that was appended (not attached) to a message from Yahoo Groups. I'm trying to explain to them that yahoo attaches ads to the bottom of most messages sent in those groups -- but they are arguing that PestPatrol is saying its spyware or adware. I'm just trying to get the jest of whether or not spy/adware can be included in a message that has no attachments. It just doesn't seem possible to me. Mike

#5 Coyote

Coyote

Emeritus-Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:07 AM

if the user allows html messages in OE then it is possible if the security settings are low (as in default) to allow an install on demand to happen with coding in the email by way of html beef up your settings, no problem then
Go forth and conquer your goals with the renewed spirit of Coyote and do not let small setbacks stop you from Your Dreams

Microsoft MVP 2006-2007

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#6 Wapiti

Wapiti

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:53 PM

Okay. That explains that it can be implemented by email (setting me straight). But then, how would the message get 'infected' with the spyware on the originating computer in the first place? Is there a known spyware product that attaches/implementes itself to/into outgoing html email? From what I understand, the originating message is from an AOL system. Does that give something? -m