I was just told that a message sent was carrying spyware… ??? Can spyware actually be carried in an email message without attachments? This email message was sent intentionally by the sender, not sent by a virus.
Just seems like someone's a little overly paranoid? Or that their spy-checking software, PestPatrol, is a little over anxious? He said that Pest Patrol found this particular email message to be the culpret.
Can you set me straight on this?
No takers? If there's another forum that I should post this to, please let me know.
Its a question thats been nagging at me for a while, and I'm just curious.
Thanks.
Mike
Hi Wapiti,
It would be difficult to answer your question without knowing exactly what Pest Patrol flagged as 'spyware' in the email. Many spyware today is also being detected as a virus or trojan by the anti-virus/anti-trojan programs now.
i do not use PestPatrol myself, but any security program that brings up an alert on my computer, i look at it very carefully…whether it's through a web page, an email, or something i've downloaded.
HTH,
snap
Yeah, I agree with you. There happens to be someone claiming that someone else sent them spyware that was appended (not attached) to a message from Yahoo Groups. I'm trying to explain to them that yahoo attaches ads to the bottom of most messages sent in those groups – but they are arguing that PestPatrol is saying its spyware or adware.
I'm just trying to get the jest of whether or not spy/adware can be included in a message that has no attachments. It just doesn't seem possible to me.
Mike
if the user allows html messages in OE then it is possible if the security settings are low (as in default) to allow an install on demand to happen with coding in the email by way of html
beef up your settings, no problem then
Okay. That explains that it can be implemented by email (setting me straight).
But then, how would the message get 'infected' with the spyware on the originating computer in the first place? Is there a known spyware product that attaches/implementes itself to/into outgoing html email?
From what I understand, the originating message is from an AOL system. Does that give something?
-m