This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help Me Get Rid Of These Infections

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have had an ad that covers my entire desktop that warns me that my computer may be at risk. It has a link that takes me to a site that is supposed to remove the spyware on my computer but I dare not download it. It has also added an icon to the desktop for the same site.

Additionally, I'm getting a lot of pop-ups for everything imaginable. I have sbc yahoo dsl but before I can start it, Internet Explorer already has already opened at start up. After getting hijacked, I've purchased and/or downloaded Norton 2005, Spyware Dr., Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware. I keep getting error messages that Norton 2005 "Does not support the repair feature" and until recently, I wasn't allowed to visit the Symantec sit for support.

I humbly seek your assistance after reading a privacy watch article on PC WORLD. Please help. I'm feeling so violated. Below is my Hijack log. It is actually the third time that I've run it. I tried deleting some items myself following Merijn's rudimentary log, but I need expert help. I hope that I didn't make things worse.

Anyway, enough background. My log is below:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:11:58 PM, on 12/9/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\gsdfxtn.exe
C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\odcfg.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\getdns.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YPAGER.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,(Default) = http://fastsearchweb.com/srh.php?q=%s
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Search_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINNT\about.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://yahoo.sbc.com/dsl
O3 - Toolbar: &EliteBar - {825CF5BD-8862-4430-B771-0C15C5CA8DEF} - C:\WINNT\EliteToolBar\EliteToolBar version 58.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Ink Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kalvsys] C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [rspol] C:\WINNT\rspol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DaZbKD6C] C:\WINNT\gsdfxtn.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.63.219.181.7
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -
O16 - DPF: {9F6D8A59-DD92-499D-944A-38FDB2CE46FF} -
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate it.
Hello tacamada, welcome to the forum. You might want to print this out.

With Internet Explorer open: Click Tools> Internet Options> Security> Trusted Sites> Sites> Remove this 63.219.181.7


I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,(Default) = http://fastsearchweb.com/srh.php?q=%s

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Search_URL = about:blank

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/…//www.yahoo.com

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINNT\about.htm

O3 - Toolbar: &EliteBar - {825CF5BD-8862-4430-B771-0C15C5CA8DEF} - C:\WINNT\EliteToolBar\EliteToolBar version 58.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kalvsys] C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [rspol] C:\WINNT\rspol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DaZbKD6C] C:\WINNT\gsdfxtn.exe

O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.63.219.181.7

O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -
O16 - DPF: {9F6D8A59-DD92-499D-944A-38FDB2CE46FF} -


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Use Add/Remove Programs and uninstall:
EliteToolBar

Delete these files in bold if they're still listed:

Open C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe
Open C:\WINNT\rspol.exe
Open C:\WINNT\gsdfxtn.exe
Open C:\WINNT\system32\odcfg.exe
open C:\WINNT\system32\getdns.exe


Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Hi LDTate, Thanks for replying. Forgive me for being a bit slow, but I want to make sure that I follow your instructions to the letter. I opened Internet Explorer to try to remove the site you suggested, but I was unable to do it. I never use IE, I always use the SBC Yahoo! browser that was installed with my DSL. But I know that about:blank should not be my home page. Anyway, after getting to trusted sites, I couldn't select the "sites" button. I haven't rerun HijackThis to deleted the files you suggested. Should I do this even though I couldn't perform the first step? Also, I never used safe mode before. I running XP Media Center edition and I don't have shut down options. I only have "turn off", "restart" and "stand by". Am I supposed to select restart and hold the F8 button to restart in safe mode? Thanks for your patience. :blink: T.

Anyway, after getting to trusted sites, I couldn't select the "sites" button. I haven't rerun HijackThis to deleted the files you suggested. Should I do this even though I couldn't perform the first step?

Yes


Also, I never used safe mode before. I running XP Media Center edition and I don't have shut down options. I only have "turn off", "restart" and "stand by". Am I supposed to select restart and hold the F8 button to restart in safe mode?
Yes
B)
Things are definitely better. I'm not getting the pop-ups anymore, but that ad that covers my desktop is still there. Also when I run Norton AntiVirus 2005, it finds a lot of adware that it can't delete. I don't know it this is all bad, but I'd like to get rid of them if I can. Here is my latest Hijack Log. I see that some of the stuff that I tried to eliminate is back. Continued thanks for your help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 2:45:21 PM, on 12/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\alg.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Ink Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kalvsys] C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.63.219.181.7
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -
O16 - DPF: {9F6D8A59-DD92-499D-944A-38FDB2CE46FF} -
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab
Please download rem.zip from here

http://forums.skads.org/index.php?showtopic=80

unzip the files to C:\Windows\system32

Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.

Now run the Rem.bat file. Should be in C:\Windows\system32

If it produces a log.txt file please copy/paste it here along with a new HijackThis log.
Attached is the bat log and a new hijack log. Please advise. Thanks.

Bat:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
C:\WINNT\system32
"Files found"
———————————————————————
clfmon.exe

Zipping files…………
———————————————————

deleting files……..
———————————————————

"Files Not Deleted"
———————————————————————

Checking for version 2 files……….
Files Found
————————————————————
rsn.exe
pingnet.exe
netssh.exe
syspack.dll
netcfg.dll
odbcfg32.dll
p2pserv.dll

Zipping files…………
———————————————————

deleting files……..
———————————————————

Files Not deleted
————————————————————

Merging registry entries
—————————————————————–
The Registry Entries Found…
—————————————————————–

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ms4Hd]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ms4Hd\Files]
"taskrun.exe"=""
"trayinfo.exe"=""
"subsys.exe"=""
"spoolsvc.exe"=""
"smlogvcc.exe"=""
"sessngr.exe"=""
"rsvxp.exe"=""
"rsn.exe"=""
"rexecs.exe"=""
"resrvc32.exe"=""
"rcip.exe"=""
"proxyconf.exe"=""
"powerconf.exe"=""
"pingnet.exe"=""
"dnsping.exe"=""
"odcfg.exe"=""
"netstart.exe"=""
"netdns.exe"=""
"getdns.exe"=""
"msswchxp.exe"=""
"msng.exe"=""
"msinfo.exe"=""
"netssl.exe"=""
"netdetect.exe"=""
"sfcver.exe"=""
"netcfg.dll"=""
"odbcfg32.dll"=""
"p2pserv.dll"=""
"clfmon.exe"=""
"netssh.exe"=""
"syspack.dll"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ms4Hd\Processes]
"taskrun.exe"=""
"trayinfo.exe"=""
"subsys.exe"=""
"spoolsvc.exe"=""
"smlogvcc.exe"=""
"sessngr.exe"=""
"rsvxp.exe"=""
"rsn.exe"=""
"rexecs.exe"=""
"resrvc32.exe"=""
"rcip.exe"=""
"proxyconf.exe"=""
"powerconf.exe"=""
"pingnet.exe"=""
"dnsping.exe"=""
"odcfg.exe"=""
"netstart.exe"=""
"netdns.exe"=""
"getdns.exe"=""
"msswchxp.exe"=""
"msng.exe"=""
"msinfo.exe"=""
"netssl.exe"=""
"netdetect.exe"=""
"sfcver.exe"=""
"clfmon.exe"=""
"netssh.exe"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ms4Hd\RegKeys]
"{98DBBF16-CA43-4c33-BE80-99E6694468A4}"=""
"{E9590744-812B-46C3-96EB-33212855927D}"=""
"Files"=""
"Ms4Hd"=""
"Processes"=""
"RegKeys"=""
"RegValues"=""
"Vendor"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ms4Hd\RegValues]
"clfmon.exe"=""
"netssh.exe"=""
"sessngr.exe"=""
"spoolsvc.exe"=""

—————————————————————–

Done

Hijack:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:53:58 PM, on 12/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E9590744-812B-46C3-96EB-33212855927D} - C:\WINNT\system32\netcfg.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Ink Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [clfmon.exe] clfmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kalvsys] C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -
O16 - DPF: {9F6D8A59-DD92-499D-944A-38FDB2CE46FF} -
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab
I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E9590744-812B-46C3-96EB-33212855927D} - C:\WINNT\system32\netcfg.dll (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [clfmon.exe] clfmon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IST Service] C:\Program Files\ISTsvc\istsvc.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kalvsys] C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe

O16 - DPF: {9F6D8A59-DD92-499D-944A-38FDB2CE46FF} -


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"



Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Use Add/Remove Programs and remove ISTsvc

Open C:\clfmon.exe <–Delete File
Open C:\winnt\system32\kalvwfy32.exe <–Delete File

Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
I followed your instructions, here is the new log. The desktop ad still remains, but the autostart of Internet Explorer and the pop-up's seem to have stopped.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:46:45 PM, on 12/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Ink Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab

It has also added an icon to the desktop for the same site.

Can you do a Right Click on the ICON and select delete?

I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these. Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Ink Monitor] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\Gateway Ink Monitor\GWInkMonitor.exe"

O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class)



Before restart, Empty Recycle Bin.

Restart your computer.

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Here is a new log. I was able to just delete the desktop icons, but the warning ad with the weblink still covers the desktop.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:16:28 PM, on 12/13/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab
Click the link and see if this will work. Remove Unwanted Shortcuts. Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?…kb;en-us;306542

I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these. Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

O16 - DPF: {205FF73B-CA67-11D5-99DD-444553540006} -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} -

Before restart, Empty Recycle Bin.

Restart your computer.

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:D :D :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check out this log!!!!

I ran the desk top wizard but it only got rid of old shortcuts that I have never used. However, I explored the "desktop items" in "display properties" of the control panel and found a tab for "web" after hitting the "customize" button. This is apparently used to display webpages on your desktop. I deleted the only item that was there ("security"), clicked apply and my desktop is back. That was so sneaky! Thanks so much for that suggestion. I had gone to the control panel before to try to select a different background but I never thought to hit the "customize desktop" button.

If this log looks OK now, can you suggest ways to protect myself from this happening again? I'm still a little shell shocked to surf the internet again and I haven't turned on any of the other three computers that I have on my wireless home network except my Mac. Do you think any of them got infected too?

Also, last time I think I got rid of my printer ink monitoring program, but it is an acceptable loss.


Thank you so much! I'll try to contain my excitement until you check out the log. Please let me know if you have other suggestions.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 9:18:42 PM, on 12/14/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINNT\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YPAGER.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINNT\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gateway Extended Warranty] "C:\Program Files\Gateway\GWCares\GWCares.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\SBC Yahoo!\Connection Manager\IP InSight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [2wSysTray] C:\Program Files\2Wire\2PortalMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "c:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {D18F962A-3722-4B59-B08D-28BB9EB2281E} (PhotosCtrl Class) - http://photos.yahoo.com/ocx/us/yexplorer1_9us.cab
GREAT job :thumbup:

Log looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D

GREAT job :thumbup:

Log looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D

I will make sure that I install everything you suggested. Thanks again.

This is a great service that you provide. I am definitely going to make a contribution to keep it going.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI