This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Major Problems With Spyware

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I started having problem when my son downloaded Ariel and didn't read the terms of agreement. I have spent many, many hours going into the registry to remove items that NAV cannot seem to remove. I thought Adaware was doing a sufficient job but still was misdirected when on the internet. Recently began getting icons on desktop and in favorites that are from adsrve. None of the above are finding and removing it. Now I find I can get to secure websites (like my bank, etc.) but I can't do anything on those sites once I enter my account id and password. That's pretty scarey to think that spyware is watching me put my personal info in there but then I can't get to anything after I've logged in. I also have noticed that I am having to re-enter my user id and password multiple times on what should be secure sites and just keep going round and round in that loop. Here's my HiJackThis log that I just ran. Help!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 4:38:54 PM, on 12/5/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\binpoyg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\confmsp9.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autodisc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\usestr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?ass.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMAPP.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Application Data\elat.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchBar.htm
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{965A592F-8EFA-4250-8630-7960230792F1} - (no file)
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe,
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {37FC6608-BF4F-70EE-8756-64550DF2734D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgfq.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {65F76352-ED17-2EE5-8756-64550DF47E44} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\rfoslcmr.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {6A6E50DC-BFA8-4B40-AB1B-159E03E829FD} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lmf32v.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1629.0\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5400] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zrbrcg] C:\WINDOWS\System32\binpoyg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows SA] C:\Program Files\WindowsSA\omniscient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcv] C:\WINDOWS\tcv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jqr] C:\WINDOWS\jqr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ad77d8a96b5e] C:\WINDOWS\system32\confmsp9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ac60985fba7c] C:\WINDOWS\system32\autodisc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4S2NSLA3QS#366] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pywf2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /startmonitor
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Forbes] C:\Program Files\Forbes\ForbesAlerts.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [h0oERWYsS] usestr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Pecvr] C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?ass.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Lerm] C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Application Data\elat.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: OZ-290_ZQ-290II Synchronization Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=ZP
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0335A685-ED24-4F7B-A08E-3BD15D84E668} - http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/128985-NZIL/PhPSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_file.php…056772fcbfaa030
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://active.macromedia.com/director/cabs/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {79849612-A98F-45B8-95E9-4D13C7B6B35C} (Loader2 Control) - http://static.topconverting.com/activex/loader2.ocx
O16 - DPF: {A8658086-E6AC-4957-BC8E-8D54A7E8A790} (GDIChk Object) - http://www.microsoft.com/security/controls/GDI/0/GDIChk.CAB
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…swflash5r42.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IMDownloader Class) - http://www2.incredimail.com/contents/setup…er/imloader.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0F96BD03-F0D5-437E-8D60-CF4797AB8D1A}: NameServer = 207.158.92.10 209.196.76.10
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{0F96BD03-F0D5-437E-8D60-CF4797AB8D1A}: NameServer = 207.158.92.10 209.196.76.10
Hello tonilo, welcome to the forum

Go to here and download the fix:
http://downloads.subratam.org/PeperFix.exe

To use it:
Start PeperFix.exe.
Click Find and Fix button.
It will ask you to restart computer, accept that.
After rebooting run PeperFix.exe again and let it fix again.


Before restart, Empty Recycle Bin.

Restart your computer.

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
You need to update your version of HijackThis. Open HJT> Config> Misc Tools> Check for update online. If that doesn't work, download it from my signature and remove the hijackThis.exe you have now.



Download CWShredder from my signature below. Unzip it on the desktop.
Open CWShredder and with ALL other windows closed, click fix.


Go here and run online scans (all), allow them to delete whatever they find:

TrendMicro HouseCall
eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner
Panda ActiveScan
Note any thing that can't be fixed
Reboot when done.

Next:

Make sure you have the up-to-date versions of Spybot V 1.3 and Ad-aware SE Build 1.05 . All are free and available below.

Download Spybot, install and update. Then download Ad-aware, install, and update.

Spybot:

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
Next click the button "Check for Problems"
When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" (RED) entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
Put a check mark beside the RED (RED) entries ONLY.
Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

Ad-Aware FULL SCAN:

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window :Click Start then under Select a scan Mode check Perform full system scan.
Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.
Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Empty Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
LD, Thanks for your reply. I sure can't figure out the clock in this forum. I'm at work but should be home within an hour and will follow your steps as soon as I'm able. I had just downloaded HJT from your site yesterday but will make sure it's updated. I also checked for updates for Spybot last night and there were none but I ran it. It keeps finding something like DSO Exploit. I haven't run Adaware since installing Spybot as a warning message comes up that Adaware often detects Spybot as scam and could remove part of it. Later!

I haven't run Adaware since installing Spybot as a warning message comes up that Adaware often detects Spybot as scam and could remove part of it. Later!

That's a new one on me :scratch: I'd answer NO to that. Just follow the post when you get home. :thumbup:
Everything has been done except eTrust AntiVirus which I was not able to get downloaded and run. Computer seems to be running a little faster but I still am unable to do anything with my online banking. Sober.I Trojan was found by TrendMicro and about 192 items by Adaware. All Spybot is coming up with is the previously mentioned DSO Exploit. I'll look that up on Google tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.Here's the latest HJT.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:12:11 PM, on 12/6/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\confmsp9.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autodisc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?ass.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Application Data\elat.exe
C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchBar.htm
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{965A592F-8EFA-4250-8630-7960230792F1} - (no file)
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {37FC6608-BF4F-70EE-8756-64550DF2734D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgfq.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1629.0\en-us\msntb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5400] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcv] C:\WINDOWS\tcv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jqr] C:\WINDOWS\jqr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ad77d8a96b5e] C:\WINDOWS\system32\confmsp9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ac60985fba7c] C:\WINDOWS\system32\autodisc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4S2NSLA3QS#366] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pywf2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /startmonitor
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Forbes] C:\Program Files\Forbes\ForbesAlerts.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [h0oERWYsS] usestr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Pecvr] C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?ass.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Lerm] C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Application Data\elat.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: OZ-290_ZQ-290II Synchronization Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\maxspeed.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\maxspeed.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0335A685-ED24-4F7B-A08E-3BD15D84E668} - http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/128985-NZIL/PhPSetup.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {79849612-A98F-45B8-95E9-4D13C7B6B35C} (Loader2 Control) - http://static.topconverting.com/activex/loader2.ocx
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IMDownloader Class) - http://www2.incredimail.com/contents/setup…er/imloader.cab
P.S.-I think it may have been the Adaware6 that I had that was making Spybot come up w/that message as it didn't do it once I installed the SE1.05. Adaware found like 192 but I didn't remove all as I was afraid it may have been some Spybot registry keys or even some of your stuff. There were several that started with "Hijack". I'll go back and rerun Adaware now and just remove all. I tried again to get on one financial site and still can't perform anything once I put my acct number and password. Also noticed several times last night that I couldn't even get the "My Assistant" on your site to come up but it did just fine this morning. So there definitely is an improvement.
C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe

You still have HijackThis in a temp folder.

Please put your HijackThis in it's own folder, (I create a new folder in
C:\ named HJT).

You can do a Right Click on any open area on the desktop, New> Folder,
then rename the folder HJT. Go to where your HijackThis is and Right Click on
HijackThis.exe, select Cut, then open the new folder you just created (HJT)
Right Click in the folder and select paste.

The reason we do this is Hijackthis creates
backup files just in case you'd need to restore one and we'll be cleaning
out the temp files.


I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchBar.htm

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{965A592F-8EFA-4250-8630-7960230792F1} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcv] C:\WINDOWS\tcv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [jqr] C:\WINDOWS\jqr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ad77d8a96b5e] C:\WINDOWS\system32\confmsp9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ac60985fba7c] C:\WINDOWS\system32\autodisc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4S2NSLA3QS#366] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pywf2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [h0oERWYsS] usestr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Pecvr] C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?ass.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Lerm] C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Application Data\elat.exe

O16 - DPF: {0335A685-ED24-4F7B-A08E-3BD15D84E668} - http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/128985-NZIL/PhPSetup.cab

O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab

O16 - DPF: {79849612-A98F-45B8-95E9-4D13C7B6B35C} (Loader2 Control) - http://static.topconverting.com/activex/loader2.ocx

O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…ta/SymAData.cab

O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/ac…/ActiveData.cab

O16 - DPF: {F00F4763-7355-4725-82F7-0DA94A256D46} (IMDownloader Class) - http://www2.incredimail.com/contents/setup…er/imloader.cab


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

Restart in Safe Mode:
Restart your computer.

Press F8 after the Power-On Self Test (POST) is done. If the Windows Advanced Options Menu does not appear, try restarting and then pressing F8 several times after the POST screen.
Choose the Safe Mode option from the Windows Advanced Options Menu then press Enter.


Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders."
Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.


Delete these files if still listed.

usestr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\tcv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\jqr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\confmsp9.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\autodisc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pywf2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\l?ass.exe Be careful with this one. Make sure you delete l?ass.exe, it has the ? in it.
C:\Documents and Settings\Toni\Application Data\elat.exe

Do this also if these Temp Folders are part of your OS.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.


Next navigate to the C:\Documents and Settings\(EVERY USER)\Local Settings\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.


Empty the Recycle Bin

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.
Sorry about the HJT temp folder. I had forgotten how to unzip a file but got that done and put in the folder I had made the previous day. My bank reset my password with a temporary one but it's still not working. I haven't done anything else online tonight except take care of your latest advice so don't really know if things are running better yet. I did try to get on the bank website since following these steps but it's still a no go. Some of the files you told me to remove weren't there when I reran HJT before going into safemode. Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at 10:08:01 PM, on 12/7/2004 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMAPP.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe O2 - BHO: (no name) - {37FC6608-BF4F-70EE-8756-64550DF2734D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgfq.dll (file missing) O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1629.0\en-us\msntb.dll O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5400] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /startmonitor O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Forbes] C:\Program Files\Forbes\ForbesAlerts.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe /c O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE O4 - Global Startup: OZ-290_ZQ-290II Synchronization Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000 O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\maxspeed.exe (file missing) O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\maxspeed.exe (file missing) O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
I suggest you do this:

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these. Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {37FC6608-BF4F-70EE-8756-64550DF2734D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pgfq.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\maxspeed.exe (file missing)


Before restart, Empty Recycle Bin.

Restart your computer.

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.

Can you tell me exactly what happens when you try your online bank?
I know when I use my bank I have to hold the Ctrl key down after I enter my account # and password to gain access. Once on, everything works fine.
LD, I can get into my accounts by typing in my acct# and password but then I can't do anything when I'm in it and everything I click on switches to a screen that says "This transaction cannot be processed" "Restart session". The bank reset it and gave me a temp password but the exact same thing happens. Their tech is saying it's probably some sw I've installed but there hasn't been much of anything except XP SP2 which I did a few months ago and the most recent is Spybot which was just installed within the past 2 weeks. I'm not sure if this inability to get into the banking site coincides with that. I've been getting on it for years so it's not like they've changed procedures. I ran Adaware last night after I sent you the HJT log and there were tons of items again. I had only gone to 2 other websites other than yours other than my home page which is MSN. I've been wondering what that Forbes Alert is that shows up in the log and I've also noticed it when trying to clean out this mess. I don't get any alerts from Forbes and have never been to their website. Anyway, here's the log. Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at 9:34:00 PM, on 12/8/2004 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\CDAC11BA.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IMAPP.EXE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\01.01.1629.0\en-us\msntb.dll O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5400] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I2G1.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5400" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5400" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [McAfee.InstantUpdate.Monitor] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe" /startmonitor O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Forbes] C:\Program Files\Forbes\ForbesAlerts.exe O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe /c O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE O4 - Global Startup: OZ-290_ZQ-290II Synchronization Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000 O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
ForbesAlerts.exe Forbes Business News Alerts - displays business news headlines in a little window on the screen We can get rid of it. Looks like News Alerts. Do you use IncMail? Do you know what this is? C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe
I can get rid of Forbes, thanks. Yes, I have the free version of IncrediMail but I don't really like it and they never would respond to me to tell me how to remove it without losing everything. That Sharp might be a pda that we no longer have. I 'll check and remove that on my own also. I heard from the tech at the bank and they said maybe Spybot has a firewall that prevents me from going to a secure website. I did have problems w/a foreign secured website a few weeks ago before even getting Spybot but just Tuesday, I went to another financial website and it worked just fine. Whatcha think?
XP 2 also has a Firewall. Do you have it turned on?

I suggest you do this:

Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall these
Forbes
IncrediMail
SHARP


Run Hijack This again and put a check by these.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Forbes] C:\Program Files\Forbes\ForbesAlerts.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IncrediMail] C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\IncMail.exe /c
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: OZ-290_ZQ-290II Synchronization Software.lnk = C:\Program Files\SHARP\OZ-290_ZQ-290II\sync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Add animation to IncrediMail Style Box - C:\PROGRA~1\INCRED~1\bin\resources\WebMenuImg.htm


Close ALL windows and browsers except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"


1. Open My Computer
2. Right click on your hard drive that you wish to clean (C drive, for example)
3. In the context menu that opens, select properties
4. Under the general tab you should select Disk Cleanup
5. Windows will scan your drive which will take a few seconds/minutes
6. A box will display the various files you can remove.
Check all boxes except compress old files
7. Click OK and windows will comply.


Restart your computer.

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI