This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Coolwwwsearch

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I also posted this in the SpywareInfo forum. Hopefully that's OK.

I am helping a friend with their computer and it seemed like it was all clean using a current version of Ad-Aware, SpyBot, CWShredder and then we protected it using SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, and IESpyAd. I also turned off most of the services that they had running. A week later they called me and said they were having problems again. During that week they had run Spybot and Ad-Aware themselves so the number of files that I found the second time around seems very excessive. These tests were all done in safe mode:

Ad-Aware found 75 critical problems. Mostly IBIS Toolbar and DSSAgent which I removed before.
Spybot found CoolWWWSearch.MsConfig
CWShredder found nothing until I logged in as a different user and then it found CWS.JKSearch and CWS.HiddenDLL. After researching, it seems that this is a bug with the new CWShredder, however I am not sure why it would find this only under one user. The second user is not an administrator if that makes any difference. Also, I can run it over and over and it always comes back with those 2 files, even though it supposedly fixed them.
NAV found HuntBar, WebSearch and ISTBar. I got rid of HuntBar and WebSearch previously also, so it appears to have reinstalled itself.
VX2 Finder did not find anything

The log I am posting was taken before NAV ran because I had to leave before it completed.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 1:30:41 PM, on 11/3/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\EarthLink 5.0\ConMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hposol08.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://start.earthlink.net/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.earthlink.net/partner/more/msie…ton/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = http://localhost;
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = http://start.earthlink.net/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ConMgr.exe] "C:\Program Files\EarthLink 5.0\ConMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\PrintMaster\PMremind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: officejet 6100.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedC…n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab

Thanks,
Kim

I also posted this in the SpywareInfo forum. Hopefully that's OK.


If you still require help and have not post at another forum listed here ASAP members forums
As some of us work here and in the other forums. Posting two forums slows the help needed for others.
Now please make sure that you have the followed instructions on how to :


Set up a HijackThis folder properly to post a log click here.
And you have the newer of HijackThis1.98.2 Download it here

Make sure that you have Scan with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware correctly click here

Have run at least one online scan, allowed them to delete whatever they find:
TrendMicro HouseCall eTrust AntiVirus Web Scanner Panda ActiveScan
And Note any thing that can't be fixed in your next post

Also Make sure you have the latest critical updates from windows update.

And finely run System Security Suite click here to download
Extract it from the zip file into a folder. Under "items to clear" click all. Then click "clear selected items"


Rescan with HJT and post a new log here using add reply.

If you would like for us to help and have posted at another forum please have them close your thread.
If you no longer need your assistance please post a reply here.


however I am not sure why it would find this only under one user.

I belive that it is because of the older version. Download the newer version.

however I am not sure why it would find this only under one user.


I belive that it is because of the older version. Download the newer version.


I am already running have the latest version.


If you would like for us to help and have posted at another forum please have them close your thread.
If you no longer need your assistance please post a reply here.


Since I started this whole thing in the SpywareInfo forum first I will follow it through there. Sorry I posted in both places, it will not happen again.

Thanks for your input.

Kim

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7


Must have scaned with the older version.

Since I started this whole thing in the SpywareInfo forum first I will follow it through there. Sorry I posted in both places, it will not happen again.


Then I guess we can close this thread.
Hope you get it fixed and thanks for stoping by.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.


To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI