End of Support for AVG 6.0
Grisoft announces the end of support for AVG version 6.0 effective on December 31, 2004 for technical reasons. This version has been available since 1999. Its structure does not allow for further improvements planned for version 7 nor improvements in detection techniques expected to come in the future.
End of support means we will no longer provide program updates or Virus Database updates for version 6.0 and therefore, within days, this version will not protect against new virus outbreaks!
AVG are LAUNCHING its new version AVG7 Free at the same time - it is currently in beta.
Should launch mid to end of November well before the 31st December stop for AVG6.
Please also be advised, that as of December 31st, 2004, database updates and support for older versions of AVG Free Edition will no longer be available. If you are currently using an older version of AVG Free Edition, we encourage you to download the new version of AVG Free Edition by the end of 2004. GRISOFT will notify AVG Free Edition users about the availability of the new AVG Free Edition via the regular update process.
Click and upgrade your current AVG Free to the New AVG Free Edition! Your current AVG Free Edition will be uninstalled during the installation process of the New AVG Free Edition.
[URL=http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5]click to upgrade[/URL]
[URL=http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5]click for new download[/URL]
AVG 7.0 FREE is AWESOME! Ive been using it for a couple weeks. Just reformatted XP Home and installed via CD, SP2.
The formatting was simple, I had some horror stories from those in the "know"….found out reformatting was easier than some had expressed. After downlaoding the bootable XP to floppys…I later found out the 333DDR 128bit configuration for OS is bootable from CD. I dont know if it was that way PRIOR to formatting or after. the only info I saved to CD was our address books from our email client and our stored pictures.
Went to MSI and got all new drivers plus a BIOS reboot/flash floppy. I must admit, Iam very pleased with the MSI/KT4V-L mother board. The configuaration compatibility of the board with the addl. bolted on RAM of 786 is superb.
I did have to reinstall the sound drivers from the boards CD. The driver update via MSI was quite expansive.
AVG 7 is most compatible with OutPost by Agnitum, in my judgemental opinion. The upgrade to SP2 has been a great improvement, too. I left out most all the addons I had for "fiddling" with. Such as SpyBot, SpyWare Buster, SpyWare Gaurd, SpySubTract..the 30 day trial..Registry Mechanic and some others I dont remember.
I will run the MS defragger. I didnt use it in the standard XP as it did seem to leave alot of fragged up stuff. I ran the SP2 defragger for the first time last nite and it appeared do the job better than before. I defragg every 48 hours by schedule as I always have done.
But, I wont loose Mailwasher Pro or Benign, those have proved to be worth their weight in gold as far as never being hit by crap via email>>>Knock On Woody<<……….. since Ive owned a version of each in the past 2 years.
So, all in all Iam a Very happy camper. My wife is amazed I didnt have to take PC into the shop and have someone else do the upgrades.
I hope this may have been some light for anyone who may be frustrated in wondering whats "wrong with my PC???"
I recently updated to the AVG 7 free edition. I am, how you say, impressed. For those of you who are hesitant, I suggest that you update as soon as you can.
NEWS FLASH!
Iam using Agnitums' OutPost Pro f/w. I didnt realize Elemetnt 5 of whom, is the producer of OutPost, is also the producer of BitDefender.
Thus, Ive un-installed AVG 7 and trying out BitDefender for the first time.
Iam looking for the compatibility differences. Just a reasoning of mine being how both progs. are produced by the same people, I would guess them to be very "sister to sister"..i.e…program-stability interaction.
Its been a week, so far so good. Mailware progs working as usual. That was a major test.
NOT that AVG 7 had any issues with OutPost at all. Just something I wanted to try.
So far, very good and stabil. As I had expected. My expectations are high. And, should be. Bit Defender is rated #1 AV is the AV globe comparrisons.
I'll check it out at the end of the 30 days with purchasing intentions.
Best Regurds
getsteppin