This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

My Computer Has A Disease Of Some Kind.

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok.. I get the same error when I tried to download winfile.zip :(

I'm going to check into that, and get back with you. We might be able to maneuver without it.

Quite honestly, I'm still a little new at fixing this type of hijack. But I have other a "guardian angel" (or two) looking over my shoulder. ;)

"About:blank" will continue to be your home page until we get the Hijack broken.

Let me explain a little.

There are at least 4 kinds of "about:blank" infections. You have the one that has hooked itself into your registry with a hidden DLL.

We need to do several things. Make the DLL visible, and gently unhook it from your registry.

The two files you saved:

Winkey.reg
Winkey.hiv

Will be required later to mege back into your registry.

Your doing great!

Please hang in there.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for all your time and patience with me. Take all the time you need to figure it out. I'm just greatful for all the help you've been giving me. I don't need my computer for anything essential right now (other than Spider Solitaire) so I'm in no hurry at all. Peace. :)
Okay, here is the latest. I did everything you said and I hope I did it all correctly. When I pushed the final "go" a dialog box came up that said the following: Confirm File Move This is a system, hidden, or read only file. Move file: C:WINDOWS\System32\kbdcnaj.dll? 'Yes to all' affects all files, including system, hidden, read only. Yes Yes to all No Cancel The 'Yes to all' option in the box at the bottom was very light so it wasn't an option to click on it. Before I do anything that I might later regret, was I supposed to get this box and, if so, should I click on 'yes' and continue?
Hello again. In the C:\Hijack\Junk folder is kbdcnaj.dll. When I tried to open it to show you what was inside I got a few "cautions" that it was a "read only" file. I opened it anyway and this is what I got for you. I don't know if you need all this, but it's here if you need it. Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file. File Type: Dynamically Loaded Library File Extension: .dll Description: This file is part of an application or Microsoft Windows. This file will be used by the application or Microsoft Windows. You can find who created this file by right clicking on the file, choosing Properties, and selecting the Version tab. Have questions? See these Frequently Asked Questions. ——————————————————————————– Copyright ©2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Disability/accessibility | Privacy Statement
Please use windows explorer to navigate to C:\Hijack\Backups and double click on the winkey.reg file and merge the information into the registry. It will prompt you for conformation. Please click "Yes".

Run RegLite and go to File > import and import Winkey.hiv.

"Copy/paste" the following next line into the address bar of Reglite

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs

Delete the entry in the AppInit_DLLs Value key which will look like: C:\Windows\System32\kbdcnaj.dll and then close RegLite.

Now, please Download the most recent version of CWShredder.exe

Download into it's own folder. Click "Check for Updates", then click "Fix", and let it anything that it finds.

Please download and run Spybot-Search&Destroy and Ad-Aware; they are the standard programs for finding and cleaning malware off your system. Here are links to both programs, and instructions for their use.

Get Spybot - Search & Destroy from http://security.kolla.de (This is the NEW Version 1.3)
Get AdAware SE Personal from http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download

Download and install these programs if you don't already have them. If you do have them, make sure they are UPDATED AND CONFIGURED AS DESCRIBED here:

http://www.cjwd.demon.co.uk/spybot-adaware.html

Reboot after running each program.

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This!
Click "Scan".
Then "check" the box to the left of these item(s):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\SALLYH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\SALLYH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.xitcffjqbkbpqmhevvtln.net/0FROs…RSnOqZJes6.html

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {30192F8D-0958-44E6-B54D-331FD39AC959} - no file)

Then click "Fix checked".

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread. :)
Hi. I did everything up until the very end. The items you wanted me to check in the last Hijack This scan did not appear in the scan at all so I could not "fix" them. I have included the log of the scan that I did do:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:13:06 PM, on 10/15/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brss01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\Zeroads.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Bin\hpoojd07.exe
C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard\MiniMavis.exe
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPSHAR~1\hpgs2wnf.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mrtMngr.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\AiO\Shared\Bin\hpoevm07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hpoipm07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOSTS07.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOFXM07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis[1]\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com/
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZeroAdsLAS] C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\LAS0Ads.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SPN2] C:\Program Files\Spyware Nuker 2004\SWN2.exe /Scan
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ZeroAds] C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\Zeroads.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HPAiODevice(hp officejet d series) - 1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Bin\hpoojd07.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: MiniMavis.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard\MiniMavis.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Delivery Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'fbm.dll' missing
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

One more thing. Can I delete completely everything that has been quarantined on ad-aware and just get it off my computer? There was a ton of "crap" in there that I would just love to permanently ZAP. I await further instructions and thank you VERY much. :D
I'm not surprised some of the things weren't in the log. The last log you posted was several days ago. The log can change because of reboots.

I would advise to create a clean "system restore point".

Go to:Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Create Restore Point

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This!
Click "Scan".
Then "check" the box to the left of these item(s):

R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing

Then click "Fix checked".

Reboot and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread. :)

Go ahead and delete the quarantined Adaware stuff. The first time I ran it on my daughters PC, it deleted 5 MB (megabytes) of garbage!

Run RegLite.

"Copy/paste" the following next line into the address bar of Reglite

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs

If the entry in the AppInit_DLLs Value key looks like:

C:\Windows\System32\kbdcnaj.dll

then delete that entry (NOT THE KEY, JUST THE VALUE IN THE KEY!), then close RegLite.

We're almost finished…. One (or two) posts left. Just a little cleanup work to perform.

Your PC should be "back to normal", now.

You've done a great job! :thumbup:
Hello again. Here is the new HJT file. I did delete the URL search hook thing. I also ran ad-aware and it got TONS of stuff from all over the place again (about 180!). And I ran spy-bot S&D and that got rid of 5 entries of DSO Exploit Here's the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 10:01:06 PM, on 10/16/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brss01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\Zeroads.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Bin\hpoojd07.exe
C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard\MiniMavis.exe
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPSHAR~1\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mrtMngr.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\AiO\Shared\Bin\hpoevm07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hpoipm07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOSTS07.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOFXM07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sally Halcovage\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com/
O3 - Toolbar: Games toolbar - {02ffc86e-283e-4faa-95d6-addca024f30a} - C:\Program Files\Games\tbGame.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZeroAdsLAS] C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\LAS0Ads.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SPN2] C:\Program Files\Spyware Nuker 2004\SWN2.exe /Scan
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Games toolbar] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\Games\tbGame.dll" DllShowTB
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ZeroAds] C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\Zeroads.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HPAiODevice(hp officejet d series) - 1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Bin\hpoojd07.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: MiniMavis.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard\MiniMavis.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Delivery Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'fbm.dll' missing
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab


Oh yes, I almost forgot…now when dellnet comes up on my browser page, there is this very colorful box up there in the toolbar that says "games" with a little scroll arrow pointing down (I guess so I can see what new 'games' are available that I don't want). Any clue as to what this is?

Thanks again. ;)
To get rid of the games toolbar do this:

Please download the latest version of Hijack This!

Links to Hijack This! v 1.98.2:

http://tools.radiosplace.com/HijackThis.exe
http://spywarewarrior.com/files/HijackThis.exe
http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/HijackThis.exe

Please make a PERMANANT folder for Hijack This!

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
Download HijackThis into this folder.

If required a tutorial is here = Hijackthis Folder Tutorial

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This!
Click "Scan".
Then "check" the box to the left of these item(s):

O3 - Toolbar: Games toolbar - {02ffc86e-283e-4faa-95d6-addca024f30a} - C:\Program Files\Games\tbGame.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Games toolbar] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\Games\tbGame.dll" DllShowTB

Then click "Fix checked".

Reboot in "safe" mode.

Find and delete:

c:\program files\games <— FOLDER

Some malware files may be "hidden".
Be sure to show hidden files when looking for these file(s) and/or folder(s).

Reboot in normal mode and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread. :)

You should also delete this folder now:

C:\Hijack\Junk

Then empty it out of your recycle bin.

Here are my tips for preventing future infections.

You should strongly consider installing IE-Spyad, and most definitely do the "browser" check.

You visited a malicious web site at some point in the past, and they dropped that nasty DLL on your machine. Installing IE-Spyad, and changing your browser settings are the two easiest and best ways to help prevent this from happening again.

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
(Personally, I'm NOT recommending SP2 for XP at this time)

Good evening, Micah. I've done everything with only one glitch. When I tried to delete the C:\Hijack\Junk folder a message popped up that said this:

Error Deleting File or Folder

Cannot delete kbcdnaj.dll: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

OK


So, I skipped that but I did do everything else. Here is the log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:09:20 PM, on 10/18/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\brss01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\Zeroads.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Bin\hpoojd07.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\HPSHAR~1\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard\MiniMavis.exe
C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\mrtMngr.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\AiO\Shared\Bin\hpoevm07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hpoipm07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOSTS07.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\bin\hpOFXM07.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis[1]\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZeroAdsLAS] C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\LAS0Ads.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SPN2] C:\Program Files\Spyware Nuker 2004\SWN2.exe /Scan
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ZeroAds] C:\Program Files\FBM Software\ZeroAds\Zeroads.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: HPAiODevice(hp officejet d series) - 1.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Bin\hpoojd07.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: MiniMavis.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard\MiniMavis.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Delivery Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\Components\QBAgent\QBDAgent.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'fbm.dll' missing
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab

Thanks again :)
Boot in "safe" mode.

Right-click on the file "C:\Junk\kbcdnaj.dll", go to the Security tab > Advanced and take ownership giving yourself 'Full control' (preferably to Administrators 'group').

Right-click the C:\Junk folder and hit properties. Click on Security tab then the Advanced button. Check the box that says Reset permissions on all child objects. Hit Apply.

You should now be able to delete the file and folder.

If that works for you, then you're all set to go.

The log was clean. :)

Please post back one more time to let me know you deleted the folder successfully.
Hi Micah. Good news! All is :thumbup: I am so enormously thankful to you for taking me, the completely technologically challenged person, through this long 'disinfection' process to a clean bill of health for my machine. I only have one more question and then I promise not to bother you any more. This weekend I was trying to delete any unwanted files and programs from my computer. I opened the My Music folder that is on the first page. There are only two music videos I ever downloaded to that folder because, I'm embarasses to admit, once I downloaded them, I didn't know where they went for me to retrieve them so I just quit downloading music. Duh. Well, what I found in the folder was over 300 absolutely filthy, vile, disgusting video clips advertising their prospective web sites from hell. Most of these files just had numbers for names. Once I reassured myself that I wasn't going to go blind or throw up (which remains a real possibility at the mere recollection of these videos) I started deleting them one by one. After about 150 my husband introduced me to the "select all" button…duh again! Thank God!!! Anyway, since I never go to these sites and my husband never does either and never uses my computer even if he did, how did they get there? Could they have come in with these trojans and viruses?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI