This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Is This A Problem (virus Or Trojan?)

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi everyone. Hoping somebody can help me. I have a brand new laptop. I've only had it a week and have been running the trial version of Norton. Today Norton ran is automatic update and then scanned the computer and found a trojan backdoor.berbew.I I pretty sure I completely removed the trojan. However afterwards Microsoft Media Player started popping up at startup unbidden. I went into system configuration utility and unchecked wmplayer. problem solved. Now my question, while in the config utility I noticed I have two startup items marked "windows.exe" I thought it was odd that I'd have two. Is this normal? Now I'm worried that the computer is still infected? Can anybody help me or am I just being paranoid? Thanks.
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

Here is Norton's page on that virus you had:

Backdoor.Berbew.I

If you'd like to have your machine checked for malware, please do this:

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:\HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
Download HijackThis into this folder.

If required a tutorial is here = Hijackthis Folder Tutorial

Links to Hijack This! v 1.98.2:

http://tools.radiosplace.com/HijackThis.exe
http://tools.radiosplace.com/hijackthis.zip
http://www.downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip
http://tools.zerosrealm.com/hjt.zip
http://spywarewarrior.com/files/hijackthis.zip
http://spywarewarrior.com/files/HijackThis.exe

Run it from that folder.

Click "Scan".

DO NOT "FIX" ANYTHING WITH IT YET!!!
FIXING THE WRONG THING COULD RENDER YOUR SYSTEM INOPERABLE!!!

Click "Save log".

Reply to this thread, and post the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the log file into this thread. :)
Wow. Thank you for the prompt reply. It is appreciated. I followed your instructions and here is my log. Again thanks for your help.


C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxext.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskman.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tftp.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFujitsuQuickTouch] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadBtnHnd] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cryptographic Service] C:\WINDOWS\System32\stjtmkm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows System] windows.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows System] windows.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Media Player] wmplayer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows System] windows.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{983F6A20-B8CF-4FF0-A4D6-BC73E06DD67D}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186
O21 - SSODL: Web Event Logger - {79FEACFF-FFCE-815E-A900-316290B5B738} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Fpjjkmeg.dll (file missing)
Please make a PERMANANT folder for Hijack This!

Important: Create a folder on the C: drive called C:HJT.
You can do this by going to My Computer (Windows key+e) then double click on C: then right click and select New then Folder and name it HJT.
MOVE HijackThis into this folder.

If required a tutorial is here = Hijackthis Folder Tutorial

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cryptographic Service] C:\WINDOWS\System32\stjtmkm.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows System] windows.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows System] windows.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows System] windows.exe

O21 - SSODL: Web Event Logger - {79FEACFF-FFCE-815E-A900-316290B5B738} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Fpjjkmeg.dll (file missing)


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

c:\windows\system32\stjtmkm.exe <— file

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)

Please include the ENTIRE log file in future posts. This log is missing the header info that tells what version of windows you have, and other important info.
Thanks again for you help. Sorry about the confusion. I did create the folder per your instructions however when I went back in the file was still zipped. I didn't realize I ran it online. I unzipped it and it's all set (I think).

While I was following your instructions Norton dectect "Trojan Horse". So im guessing my log won't be clean. Here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:48:12 PM, on 9/10/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\xwinrpc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxext.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFujitsuQuickTouch] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\App :( lication Panel\QuickTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadBtnHnd] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [asdx] xwinrpc32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Media Player] wmplayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [asdx] xwinrpc32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
Excellent work!!! :thumbup:

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [asdx] xwinrpc32.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [asdx] xwinrpc32.exe


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

c:\windows\system32\xwinrpc32.exe <— file

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode.

Since that worm (explained here) is new to the log, maybe you need some outside anti-virus help.

Please try these free online virus scans of your system:

Trend-Micro:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Panda:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Etrust:
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

Choose fix or clean.

Let them remove any infections found. Reboot inbetween each scan.

After the last scan, reboot and post a new log file in this thread. :)
Hi Micah_6:8


Thanks for all your help. I'm not sure how much headway I'm made. I followed your instructions last night and ran all three online scans, rebooting after each one. I only have dial up internet so it took awhile. Norton was going nuts the whole time identifying viruses on my computer.

I reperformed the online scans this morning.

I then ran a new hijack this scan. Here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 10:16:44 AM, on 9/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxext.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msie.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\EXPLORER32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFujitsuQuickTouch] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadBtnHnd] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows secure] setver32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft upnp Update] msie.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows Updates] EXPLORER32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Media Player] wmplayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows secure] setver32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft upnp Update] msie.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Windows Updates] EXPLORER32.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows secure] setver32.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{983F6A20-B8CF-4FF0-A4D6-BC73E06DD67D}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186

Norton was going nuts the whole time identifying viruses on my computer

I can see why… :(

I wonder where they're coming from????

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows secure] setver32.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft upnp Update] msie.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows Updates] EXPLORER32.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Media Player] wmplayer.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows secure] setver32.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft upnp Update] msie.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Windows Updates] EXPLORER32.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Windows secure] setver32.exe


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

c:\windows\system32\explorer32.exe <— file

c:\windows\system32\msie.exe <— file

setver32.exe <— file
(use windows explorer to find)

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)

I'd like you to also search you machine for all instances of:

wmplayer.exe

Then go here:

Kaspersky Online Scan

And submit them for a virus scan.

Post back with the results.
I followed your instructions in the last post, but here are a couple things first that may help you diagnose the problem.

1. Last night when Norton was going nuts two problems kept reappearing "spybot" and "w32.korgus.v" Searching on symantec's website a located a special tool desinged to remove korgus. i used this tool last night before bed and today things have been much better. norton's only detected one problem and nothing the last 3 hours.

2. On the c: drive on menu right below where I installed the HJT folder is an application called 35er. It was created yesterday and I can't figure out what it is or what's it is for.

3. I ran the scans of wmplayer and it came back normal. After removing the first virus, wmplayer started loading at bootup unbidden. I unchecked it at in startup listing.



Here is my last HJT log:


Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:45:44 AM, on 9/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxext.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\winmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFujitsuQuickTouch] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadBtnHnd] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Monitor] winmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Monitor] winmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{983F6A20-B8CF-4FF0-A4D6-BC73E06DD67D}: NameServer = 207.69.188.187 207.69.188.186
Well.. Looking much better!!! :thumbup:

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This! and fix these items:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Monitor] winmon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Monitor] winmon.exe


Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

c:\windows\system32\winmon.exe <— file
(Read about it here.)

Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.

Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)

Application "35er.exe" is not listed on any searches, and is most likely malware.
LOL. That's funny. I needed that and I'm feeling better because it seems we're making progress.

For the record, I've been booting up in selective mode because windows media player is loading at startup when I boot in normal. I just tried it again and it happened. I ran HJT and saw wmplayer in the Run directory. I fixed it and rebooted in normal and its gone. Plus Norton is still been quiet all day.

Here is my new log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:41:17 PM, on 9/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxext.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndicatorUtility] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Fujitsu Hotkey Utility\IndicatorUty.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadFujitsuQuickTouch] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\Application Panel\QuickTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadBtnHnd] C:\Program Files\Fujitsu\BtnHnd\BtnHnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
Excellent work!!!! :thumbup:

As far as I can see, you've defeated all the malware!!!!

Final Score

Dante 17

Malware 0

I'm going to post my "Suggested things to prevent future infections" speel, but I won't ask this topic be closed for a few more days.

If you have more problems, please post back.

GOD bless!!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
(Personally, I'm NOT recommending SP2 for XP at this time)

Oh. Oh. It seems like we have a premature victory. I rebooted the computer to make sure everything was all right and both the winmon.exe. and msie.exe were back. I removed them as before and reran HJK. They are both gone. However, when I go to msconfig and click on the startup tab there is winmon with the box unchecked as if it waiting. According to the location column it is in the Run directory. It is not showing up there when I run HJT. I did an explorer search and it doesn't show up. I'm booted up in selective mode and am certain if I boot in normal mode it'll be back. I searched in regedit to see if the file could be seen, but it doesn't show up there either. Now I'm totally lost as to what to do.
Don't disable anything on startup.

Reboot.

This is my plan:

Post another log.

We'll turn system restore OFF.

Fix all the malware & reboot.

Turn system restore back ON & reboot & post another log.

Read this link on how to turn system restore ON/OFF:

System Restore

Ok… Post a new log, and I'll give you the "fixes". :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI