This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Is It A Virus Or Sypware

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Don't know if I posted this in the wrong place the 1st time but haven't has any replies and thought I would try it here.


Had a friend send me to this site to get some help. I have some spyware that has messed up my computer. It would not let me into the regedit mode so i reinstalled the o/s which is windows 98 2nd. I am using IE 6.0 for the browser.

The problem now is it keeps putting the things back in my register that I fix. I clean them off and reboot and they are gone for a while less than an hour and they are back.

I have run the latest of Adware. CWS Shredder, Spybot, Pest Control and HiJack this and Norton virus which is always updated. I have read and tried the many different sequences that have been suggested and they don't seem to work. I have also downloaded Smart Killer for coolsearch and it's on the computer but it won't let me run it, says it not there yet it shows the file size as 98kb. Also tried a on line scan but it wouldn't let me use it either.

Things that are happening are: Puts in 6 sites in my Favorites ( shopping, pharmacy, online betting, health site and adult site and some other ones with smiley faces. I have deleted these with Sure Delete and they still keep comming back. The screen saver goes to blank and it is set to be a text with the time. The screen saver works in the safe mode but not in the normal mode. I will post the HJT copy too. I delete all the R0 & R1 and they still come back. If some of the C:\ files need to be deleted please tell me how. I am comfortable working thru stuff like that.

Have run all these programs in the Safe Mode to with no results. Have way to many hours in trying to kill this thing on my own.

http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc This is what always replaces my home page in IE.

Thanks for the help

Bob



Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\POINT32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSWHEEL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPPE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POPROXY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPCONTROL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPMEMCHECK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\COOKIEPATROL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINMM64.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\BIN\JUNO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\QSACC\X1EXEC.EXE
C:\ATTACHMENTS\NEW FOLDER FOR HOLDING\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://countere.com/?b=hc
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b=hc
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:7900
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 64.136.29.30;64.136.21.30;64.136.29.34;searchap.untd.com;127.0.0.1;localhost;*windowsupdate.microsoft.com;*windowsupdate.com;*wustat.windows.com;*profiles.yahoo.com;*.pogo.com;*test-speed.com;
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV DefAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SPPE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPPE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bpcpost.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\bpcpost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton eMail Protect] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrol Control Center] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [untd_recovery] C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\QSACC\X1EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpywareGuard] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINMM64.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SPPE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPPE.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [spc_w] "C:\Program Files\JUSearch\hcm.exe" -w
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display All Images with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\QSACC\appres.dll/228
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display Image with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\QSACC\appres.dll/227
Close all windows and programs.

Fix these items with Hijack This!:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://countere.com/?b=hc

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,SearchURL = http://countere.com/?a=2&b;=hc

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SPPE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPPE.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpywareGuard] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINMM64.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SPPE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPPE.EXE

Boot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.

Find and delete:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPPE.EXE <— file

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINMM64.EXE <— file

Boot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)
Thank You for the information. Did all you mentioned and it seems to have cleaned it up. Found a couple of zip files by accident by digging around in the program files in Windows. They were in Qmgr which was always trying to run an exe program but I set it to be denied by Zonealarm. Here's the new log. Will see what happens once I've been in this fresh boot. thanks again

One other question. In the haste of deleteing the 6 unwanted favorite web sites it posted on my Favorites bar it jumped to one I did not want to delete with a lot of good stuff I need. Is there any software to recover that folder with the address in it. When I delete stuff it bypasses the recycle bin so that opition is out.]

thanks again
bob

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
Scan saved at 3:42:54 PM, on 7/28/2004
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\POINT32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSWHEEL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POPROXY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPCONTROL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPMEMCHECK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\COOKIEPATROL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\ATTACHMENTS\NEW FOLDER FOR HOLDING\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV DefAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bpcpost.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\bpcpost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton eMail Protect] C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrol Control Center] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display All Images with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\QSACC\appres.dll/228
O8 - Extra context menu item: Display Image with Full Quality - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\JUNO\QSACC\appres.dll/227
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
I'd say the log is looking real good!!! :thumbup:

I'm not aware of any programs to recover deleted files. I'm sure there is some, and I'm also sure it's most effective when used as soon as possible. Your system may have already used the disk space that used to be assigned to what you're trying to recover.

I'd say you're "good to go".

I'd like to leave you with my list of things to consider to prevent future infections.

Other software not listed would be Spywareguard, and Spywareblaster (I don't have the links to them).

GOD bless!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.

Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI