This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

password manager

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have read a lot about these and would like the forums opinion as to whether or not they are advisable, which to use, and if any free ones are trustworthy.

Also, if things don't  work out, can you go back to the password list typed out in your possession you used for each site, and stop the password manager?

Thank you

I've been using Bitwarden for close to a year.  I've been fairly happy with it, but I don't know enough about them to truly recommend.

 

At this point I can't remember what it was I liked better about Bitwarden than Lastpass.  I think it mostly came down to that Bitwarden is completely free, and it is open source - which I like.  And probably just a little bit because I don't like to always just follow the crowd.

 

I started using it because I found myself reusing the same handful of passwords on more and more sites and apps (I have 35 logins being managed).  Once I set up Bitwarden, I just went to the majority of sites and apps that I use regularly, and then I had it generate me a new password.  The only password I know now is my masterpassword for bitwarden.  It knows the rest of them.  It works at home, on my laptop, at work, and on my phone.  I guess I could actually access them from any computer with my masterpassword.  I could go in and list them all again, but if I chose to not use a manager, I'd probably change them to something I had a chance to remember because right now they are gobbledygook.

 

I got the idea from Blair, the owner of this site.  He mentioned a few years ago that he was using one - probably lastpass .  I also learned that my local computer shop nerd that I trust nearly as much as Ztrucker and Digerati uses one (he uses KeePassPro.  He carries a thumb drive that has everything on it so he just plugs it into any computer to access his passwords), I decided to "take the risk" and give it a try.

Thank you all for the very helpful ideas.. You know me and my mind I likely need a password manager for my daily living, now. lol

 

I am skittish about one site with all my p-words but  you have to have faith in something.

Under advisement till I read more. TY

I've never felt the need to use one, but like you TK I have maybe 5 passwords I use everywhere and they are all ones I can remember.

 

Maybe it's time to move up to a more secure method.

 

I'll take a look at LastPass and BitWarden and give one (or both) a try and see what I think.

 

Peter, thanks for raising this question. I think it's one that needs to be looked at by everyone.

When I look at BitWarden it says Start your free trial? Is it no longer free?

 

Okay, still free.

 

No use to me though as there is no support for Seamonkey which is my preferred Browser. Not fro LastPass either.

 

Eventually I'll be forced to change but not yet. Too bad, I would have liked to try it.

The word method is the operative word. 

The current password  system, I feel, is risky because they say there is end to end encryption but  who knows that to be true. It is like the cloud, who is peeking?

 

Currently I would use a password manager but NOT for banks.

I have about 150 passwords b/c I have never ditched one over the years just in case. I have them on a printed sheet I amend bow and then until I have to reprint. I also have them on two flash drives in case one fails.

Around the corner someone will come up with an idea as to how to accomplish this but for now, this current method, is iffy.

Soon you will Google alternative to password manger and there it will be. I think it will be an entirely different way of looking at this. Perhaps there will not be passwords but another means of accessing a site. A new method is just waiting to be discovered.

Who is the next lottery winner?

Is there a password manager built in to SeaMonkey?

 

It looks like Sticky Password works with SeaMonkey.

 

Mucho Gracias! It installed and detected Seamonkey and completed perfectly. Also installed for Edge. I opted out of IE as I don't use it. If I ever do I'll add it there as well. So far so good. Now to figure out how to use it.

Shot myself in the foot as usual. Installed it, thought it was all working, tried it and nothing … After futzing around and screwing up my Amazon account twice I finally noticed I had the 64 bit version of Seamonkey installed. Sticky Password only supports the 32 bit version, so I uninstalled 64 bit and installed 32 bit and spent another half hour trying to get things back in sync. Finally rebooted and it all seems to be working. Also working in Edge.

 

The keys are a hell of a lot better than any I could come up with.

 

I chose the cloud sync option as I'm not really concerned about cloud security. Anything stored out there is well encrypted.

 

The only thing I don't like about it so far is the Sticky Password icon overlays the little Birdseye in password fields so I can't see the current password.

Could it be structured that way so no one can see it at all?  If it functions, it des its job or did I not read it correctly..?

>

You have a good one as some were cracked. See below;

 

Password managers allow users to generate strong passwords and store them in a "secure" vault with one master password or PIN. Five of those password managers – Dashlane, Keeper, LastPass, 1Password and RoboForm – were analyzed in an investigation conducted by Michael Carr and Siamak F. Shashandashti of England's University of York. 

 

Unfortunately, as Tom's Guide reported, the research duo found that all five password managers had security vulnerabilities that could allow hackers to swipe users' passwords from Android phones and Chrome extensions.

Pete, you are super security conscious, much more so than I am I guess. I'm comfortable using the cloud and willing to take the risk of a breech since, as I said, my data there would be heavily encrypted. I don't use it on my Android phone and I don't use Chrome so no problem there.

 

No longer of interest to me anyway as I uninstalled it. It was not working for me, caused tenforums to log me out continuously. All can think of it is was due to the long, complicated password though I don't know why that would matter. I uninstalled it, changed the password back to what I normally use on that (and two other) site and everything is okay again.

 

Shame because it did work well, handling user and password entry smoothly and correctly. Maybe if the John, owner of tenforums can figure out what was causing the problem I'll give it another go.

I think you are referring to Sticky Password. That's too bad b/c you did try. But I'll bet you enjoyed tinkering with it.

After living with my first wife I became suspicious! LOL

I loved my Galaxy but it only patched and updated a few times then stopped. Google pays attention to Pixel but thee are so many Android phones manufacturers to deal with they cannot keep updating. There's the security again. The camera etc. were great.

I went to Apple a couple of years ago and receive patches all the time. Before they are installed you are told what they are for. It is automatic as is the backup to the cloud. You get firmware as well as security patches. My wife's Chromebook is secure as is Apple. My son is a Pixel man and loves it. It is updated often as I said.

I will go to the iPhone 12 in November and trade in my  iPhone 10R then.

Sorry about Sticky Password but you will settle on some manner of handling passwords.

If I were more confident of my on the spot managing skills I may use a manager Like Tom, but I am not. So It is the paper and flash drive for now.

I read p about Bit Warden that Tom uses and it reads well; if I could I would use it.

Sea Monkey is your choice but isn't it quite old? I read that being open source it is sluggish but never tried it.

Seamonkey is basically where Mozilla went when it became Firefox. It's old and there are only a few developers still working on it but it still works and I love it. I will really, really miss it when I have to switch.

 

I just got a tip from a friend that if I turn off Auto login that may resolve the problem I was seeing as he had the same problem with LastPass a while back. May give that a try another day.

 

Right now I'm celebrating that I finally got some batch/powershell code to work together to pull chkdsk info out of Event Viewer. Been beating my head against the wall for a week and the wall finally caved in today (with the help of some friends).

It's too bad it cant be refined rather than disposed of. Good tip for many issues about Auto Login. 

 

I cannot comment on Event Viewer except to say coincidentally I am in the process of finding some Defender logs in it.

 

I would like ask a question.    I bought Windows Pro retail when this machine was built. I have forgotten, if I have to upgrade in the Fall and Spring before I can clean install the new version when it is issued. or can I just clean install using a stick made with MCT. That upgrade is not far a way.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI