This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

browsers and links

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When Chrome is  the default browser and I click a link I receive in windows mail, the browser icon in the task bar blinks. After clicking upon this blinking icon I am take to the site.

 

However, when Edge is the default browser and the same scenario occurs I am taken directly to the site without having to click  the browser icon first.

 

it appears Chrome is malfunctioning. I have reinstalled it.

Is there anything else I can do or is this typical for Chrome?

Below is the type of reply I have received from other users In the MS community etc. I did as you say and after the reboot the problem persisted. Chrome is defective.

Would I sacrifice security if I were to install the old Chrome browser and if not where would I get the link?

Thanks Rich

 

 

>>Thanks for responding, but Edge is my default browser. Like the others above, I uninstalled it. I did reinstall it to see if that would fix the problem-it didn't, so I have uninstalled it, again. I have wasted enough time on this. I will use the old browser or Chrome.

Why not switch to the new Edge Chromium browser. It's a lot like Chrome. I like it though I still use Seamonkey as my primary browser. Edge Chromium is my backup. It's the default browser in Win 10 20H2, replacing the original Edge.

I'll try making Chrome my default browser and see how it works for me.

 

Edit: Nah, can't do that and test from E-mail as my E-mail program is Seamonkey and it always launches Seamonkey browser, even if Chrome is set as default. I'm not about to try Windows mail.

Another person in the MS Community just wrote with the same issue. They too are wondering if they are an isolate case like me.

I love Window Mail; do you suspect that has something to do with it? 

Is Sea Monkey easy for an average user?   I have  3 email apps?

Hello Peter, and I hope that both you and Rich (Ztruker) will forgive my interruption to your topic… but I could not help noticing in your opening post your reference to clicking on a link in a Windows Mail email…

 

I know Peter that you are "security conscious" and hopefully therefore you think long and hard before clicking on links in emails….. lots of nasty stuff come with links in emails so it pays to give each one a second or even third look before even thinking of clicking on them.

All best

paws

Hi Paws and Rich too

Always good to hear from you, anytime.

I was just signing in to the forum to tell Rich something when you posted.

I will keep the info in this thread.

 

The other person who is having a similar problem that I have also has Windows Mail. It is common to this issue and I suspect the culprit.

She writes that when she uses Edge the icon blinks to open a link and when she clicks on that icon the link opens. When using Chrome it opens directly.

I have the same issue but with Chrome and Edge works fine.

The common factor is Windows Mail. I have information in the Mail folders so it would be hard to leave Mail and find another app that supports 3 clients and is easy to use for duffers like me.

I guess I could paste the info to desktop and shut down mail then acquire a new app. Off to YouTube to see some in action.

 

Rich, is Sea Monkey hard or easy? Thunderbird was over my head years ago.

Why not switch to the new Edge Chromium browser. It's a lot like Chrome. I like it though I still use Seamonkey as my primary browser. Edge Chromium is my backup. It's the default browser in Win 10 20H2, replacing the original Edge.

 

>>I have that browser,thanks.

Seamonkey mail is very much like Thunderbird. If you didn't like that you won't like Seamonkey mail.

 

I've been using it or it's predecessors Mozilla and Netscape for many, many years so it's what I'm comfortable with.

I can see where you would like a program where one can tinker and you have the ability to handle it correctly. It's not for those who are less complicated :)

 

I am using the new Edge and acclimating. I do keep Chrome on the taskbar for those times when one needs a second browser.

 

Besides Mail being defective. I find that Chrome often times denies access to sites it should not like Medicare and other common sites.

In all the programs have their faults as well as the user but I am still getting the job done.

I may try Sea Monkey in the new sandbox.   C U

 

P.S.     BTW, do you use the mail only or the browser?

I checked out both and it definitely is for someone your level not mine.
It must be nice to be able to play with all those features properly.

??? What features? It's just a browser, no fancy features I'm aware of.

 

It's a suite actually, Browser, E-mail, Composer and Address-book. You would use Browser, E-mail and Address book, nothing else. That's all I use. It has it's problems though, due to browser sniffing on many sites they are always saying its not supported so yo uhave top lie to the site. That requires adding entries to the about:config settings. I currently have these:

 

📎useragent.jpg

For what it's worth:

 

I've used Outlook for mail for a couple of decades.  I have used Thunderbird and don't recall it being "tricky".  I've also used the Gmail app - and prefer outlook.  I suspect that is because of familiarity.  No matter which one I use - I'm too lazy to mess with settings, etc.  All of them will do things that the programmers spent alot of time and effort to develop - but are wasted on me.  I just want to send and read mail.  If it takes fiddling to do that…I use a different one.  Same with my phone.  I just want to make and receive calls.  Everything else is mostly a waste of energy.  If someone would make a reliable phone that had exceptional reception and clarity…I wouldn't touch a "smart" phone. 

 

I also have no use for Chrome.  Or Chromium.  I realize the majority of the world loves it.  I find it annoying.  This opinion probably comes from malware removal.  Cleaning malware from a Chrome browser is difficult at best.  To me, it just doesn't "feel" right to use.  I even like Opera better.  My browser of choice is Firefox.  I used to use Pale Moon, but didn't bother to install it when I upgraded my system to Windows 7 a few years ago.  I realize it has it's problems also, but I'm comfortable with it.  Back in the day I used Netscape so I suppose I'm somewhat consistent.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI