My PC is giving problems again. When I turn on the PC, nothing happens. The PC does not start. But if I press the switch repeatedly about ten times or so, after a while the PC starts!
What could be the problem? I have changed all the cables including the hard drive cable, DVD cable and even replaced the battery but to no avail. It cannot possibly be a Windows 10 problem and neither a conflict in the hardware as I have not installed anything new. Can someone please help?
Flaky case switch or a power problem are two possible causes.
Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the case, CPU, MB, the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable folk to better assist you.
It is a custom built PC with a Wibtek H61 motherboard, 500GB Seagate hard drive, Pioneer DVD writer, 4GB Ram, running Windows 10 and there is no graphics card.
Previously the PC was working fine and the problem only started about a month ago. In addition to all the cables, I also replaced the hard drive but in vain. I cannot figure out why the PC takes such a long time to start and not immediately when the start switch is pressed. Do you think it could be the power supply after all?
The power supply is a Lestec 500W unit (which I have also replaced with anew one) and the case is simply an Ocean DeLux case but I doubt the case itself could be causing the problem.
Sorry MikeSA but you have post asking for assistance with computer troubles and I am merely advising you as to possible causes of what you describe, if you take a second look at my reply #2 you will see that the feedback specifically says "Flaky case switch or a power problem are two possible causes" I have a test for you to do but will only post the info if you are going to try it, the info wasn`t easy to come by but there is no point in uploading it if you don`t wish to do the test.
The power supply is a Lestec 500W unit (which I have also replaced with anew one)
Are you saying that you originally had a Lestec 500W PSU and you have replaced it with an out of the box new same model Lestec 500W.
Unable to find a 450W Lestec PSU but if it is as bad as the 500W version I would not worry about any testing until you have a good quality brand PSU, see the attachment below;
You can use the links in my sig for help with PSUs but short version for you, trusted brands include Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic and if you can aim for a Bronze efficiency rated unit, with not having any add on GPU you only need a true 300W or above unit.
NB: You may find that the case switch is faulty but until you have a decent power supply there is no way of testing it without risking damaging the hardware.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI