Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PC not starting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:00 PM

My PC is giving problems again. When I turn on the PC, nothing happens.  The PC does not start.  But if I press the switch repeatedly about ten times or so, after a while the PC starts!

What could be the problem?  I have changed all the cables including the hard drive cable, DVD cable and even replaced the battery but to no avail.   It cannot possibly be a Windows 10 problem and neither a conflict in the hardware as I have not installed anything new.  Can someone please help?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:16 AM

Flaky case switch or a power problem are two possible causes.

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the case, CPU, MB, the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable folk to better assist you. 

#3 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

It is a custom built PC with a Wibtek H61 motherboard, 500GB Seagate hard drive, Pioneer DVD writer, 4GB Ram, running Windows 10 and there is no graphics card.  

Previously the PC was working fine and the problem only started about a month ago.  In addition to all the cables, I also replaced the hard drive but in vain.  I cannot figure out why the PC takes such a long time to start and not immediately when the start switch is pressed.  Do you think it could be the power supply after all?

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:11 AM

Need to do a bit of work to get info on the MB, can you meanwhile post the requested computer case and PSU information for for us.

#5 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

The power supply is a Lestec 500W unit (which I have also replaced with anew one) and the case is simply an Ocean DeLux case but I doubt the case itself could be causing the problem.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:57 AM

Sorry MikeSA but you have post asking for assistance with computer troubles and I am merely advising you as to possible causes of what you describe, if you take a second look at my reply #2 you will see that the feedback specifically says "Flaky case switch or a power problem are two possible causes" I have a test for you to do but will only post the info if you are going to try it, the info wasn`t easy to come by but there is no point in uploading it if you don`t wish to do the test.

The power supply is a Lestec 500W unit (which I have also replaced with anew one)

Are you saying that you originally had a Lestec 500W PSU and you have replaced it with an out of the box new same model Lestec 500W.

#7 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Yes I will try the test. Please let me have it.  And yes I did replace the power supply with the same brand and 450Watts.

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:08 PM

Unable to find a 450W Lestec PSU but if it is as bad as the 500W version I would not worry about any testing until you have a good quality brand PSU, see the attachment below;

Attached Thumbnails

• Bad brand of PSU.jpg

#9 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:36 PM

Thanks will try and get a decent power supply and hope the problem will be solved.  Can you recommend a few brands?

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:06 PM

You can use the links in my sig for help with PSUs but short version for you, trusted brands include Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic and if you can aim for a Bronze efficiency rated unit, with not having any add on GPU you only need a true 300W or above unit.

#11 MikeSA

MikeSA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for the information

#12 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:47 AM

You are welcome  :)

NB: You may find that the case switch is faulty but until you have a decent power supply there is no way of testing it without risking damaging the hardware.