Hello. My Windows 7 32 but laptop is infected. I received a suspicious email and decided to check. The PC is behaving properly, no slowness or redirecting, etc, but I want to be sure. I've attached the logs for aswMBR and the FarBar recover scan tools. I noticed that aswMBR found some infected files and while i was running the scan, Windows 7 said that it found some malicious software and asked me to remove it, so I did. However, aswMBR found additonal stuff. Please have a look at them if there is anything else you want me to do.
My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.
Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:
please follow all instructions in the order posted
please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!
IMPORTANT:
Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested
You have no active antivirus on your computer. You are already using an out-of-date, vulnerable operating system which is probably the major reason for so many infections.
We’ll deal with that when your computer is in better shape but meanwhile, please don’t use the Internet except to deal with this issue or visit sites that you are 100% certain are safe.
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
press Scan button
it will produce a log called Frst.txt in the same directory the tool is run from
please copy and paste log back here.
the first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the Frst.txt into your reply.
Logs to include with next post:
Frst.txt
Addition.txt
Thanks
I'm in the UK and it's 30 minutes past midnight here so I won't get back tonight but will check the logs and reply as soon as I can
NOTE: this script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
save the files as fixlist.txt in the same folder as FRST – NOTE: It's important that both files, FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work
run FRST then click Fix just once and wait
it will create a log (Fixlog.txt); please post it to your reply.
Good morning, or afternoon since you're in the UK. I did everything and attached the fix log. I disabled the Firefox extensions and Windows defender, but when I went into Google Chrome and typed chrome://extensions, I didn't see an entry for Googe Search, I saw four extensions which were:
Adobe Acrobat
Google Docs Offline
Skype
Docs
I didn't see anything for Google Search. Did I miss something? Is there anything else that you want me to do?
I've attached the results from Rogue Killer. It found some things and then I had it fix them. Fro the Chrome Extensions, I didn't see anything for Google Update Helper or Intel Security True Key. I only see the four extensions that I mentioned previously.
Ok, I found two instances of Google Update Helper in the control panel and I removed both of them. I found an entry for Intel Security True Key in control panel and tried to remove it, but it said that it couldn't remove it because must have already been removed. It asked me if I wanted to remove it from the list of applications in the control panel, and I had it do that.
No, I uninstalled the applications from control panel first, and then ran FRST. Like I said, it uninstalled the two Google Update applications without any issues. Perhaps from the previous times I ran FRST, Ad Aware cleaner, and Rogue Killer the Intel Security True Key application was removed, but it still showed up in control panel. I don't know.
Let me know what my next steps are and thank you very much for all of your help!
Well, I just ran Makwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and it found nothing. It said that no cleanup is required and didn't produce a log file, so that's a good thing.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI