Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

how do I clean install windows 10 on new drive?

windows10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 calebcrawford

calebcrawford

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

Hi

Hardware is a Dell Precision 5520. I started getting a TPM error every boot. Then after a Dell update, I got blue screen after login (normal startup, but once I'm in my user blue screen after a minute of normal startup.

I reset the bios to factory - got rid of TPM error (I tried a lot of other suggestions - none worked. I tried repair and restore. Nope).

Reset of bios required restore of Windows (still had outlook files or I would have wiped the disk). But still the blue screen after startup.

I got a replacement drive. A Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD 500 GB (same size as the Toshiba it is replacing).

I have a recovery USB drive. How should I best install windows onto the new drive?

Do I have to worry about partitions? Size of partition?

Once windows is installed, what do I do then? Update bios first? or windows?

Recommendations on what apps to install in what order? (if it matters)

Thank you!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

What do you mean by Reset of BIOS?

Why did this require a restore of Windows? Was this a System Restore?

Are you talking about flashing BIOS to a new version?

What version of Windows 10 are you at now. Enter winver from a Run box.

For instance, I'm at Windows 10 Pro X64 1903 18362.449.

Follow this tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10

Edited by Ztruker, 13 November 2019 - 08:18 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 calebcrawford

calebcrawford

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:01 PM

Hi

Thank you for replying. I really don't know what "flashing" the BIOS means.

I read a lot of comments on the Dell website. It seems the TPM error was pretty common, but no clear consensus on how to resolve it. One suggestion I tried was disconnecting the battery, removing RAM, holding the power button 30 seconds, then putting it all back together. and the TPM error persisted.

Another post on the same set of threads indicated to remove the power cord, then hold down (I think) the control button (IDK, it might have been shift) and replug, which gave me the bios options. These were all commands that the computer ran (unlike the hardware solution with the battery, etc.) There were 3 options, which I can't remember exactly, of different magnitudes. I think it was repair, restore, and reset. Repair and restore both resulted in the the TPM error persisting. Reset finally got rid of the TPM error. I'm pretty sure what I did was a factory restore of the BIOS (I think, I'm no pro). With the reset, however, I had to restore windows.

With the restore of windows, however, whatever was causing the blue screen continued. The next step is to do a factory reset of the drive, but I didn't want to go there because even with cloud backup there are things on the hard drive not backed up.

I got a replacement drive, but unsure how to properly format, what actions to take first.

If you say, however, I should put the original drive back in and you have a way to do a factory restore that doesn't involve me logging in, I'm total open. I just need to get the machine back running.

thank you,

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

When you did the Reset, you must have chosen the option to keep your files, right? That is part of resetting the Operating System (Windows 10), what you are calling the drive.

Removing the CMOS battery, unplugging the power cord then pressing and holding the power button for 30 seconds drains the capacitors on the motherboard so the CMOS (Bios) gets scrambled, it doesn't get reset. When you put the battery back, plug in the power cord and power on you should have gotten an error message about the CMOS or NVRAM or BIOS being scrambled and to press F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup. At that point you should have entered Setup, pressed the Fn key to load BIOS defaults, set the clock then continued.

The best thing for you to do is a Clean Install to the new hard drive which the instructions at the link I gave you will explain how to do in explicit detail. All your data will still be on the other drive for retrieval later.

Once the install is complete, you will need a USB Universal HDD adapter, something like this

USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable for 2.5 Inch SSD & HDD $7.88 Amazon Prime

It will allow you to connect your old drive to your laptop to retrieve any data from it you need. The above only works with SATA drives but that is okay since that is all you have. Doing it this way, you should not lose any data. You will have to reinstall all software though.

Advantage is you will get the latest Windows 10 which is now 1909 18363,446.

Rich

#5 calebcrawford

calebcrawford

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

hi

Thank you again.

1. Is the Dell recovery drive i created a year ago basically worthless? Or will I need it?

2. I assume that the windows 10 i'm downloading is universal, that there's nothing particular to the Dell hardware.

3. Step 2 "Temporarily disconnect all non OS hard drives until Windows installation has finished." I have turned on the laptop and it is pretty clear that there's not a bootable drive. There's only one drive, so far as I can tell... 

I'm just getting the new recovery usb made. I'll tackle the install Saturday.

thank you again

#6 calebcrawford

calebcrawford

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

hi

I reinstalled windows. Everything is up and running. Bluescreen is gone (I would hope so!) I make the assumption (perhaps erroneous) that I should update the firmware for the dell, and download drivers for things like the graphics card. I start with updating the bios. And the "TPM device not detected" alert comes right back. Old bios 1.15.0, update 1.16.0. (Thanks Dell.) Do I reset to 1.15 and wait for them to get their act together? or are they trying to sell me a new laptop?

thank you

#7 calebcrawford

calebcrawford

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

Update.

I reinstalled the previous bios and the TPM alert is gone. I'll wait for the next bios release before I try installing again, unless there is something else that needed to be updated or installed before this bios version? or is it just badly built for my system?

Anyway, road to recovery. Thank you for the directions to the clean install.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

Now you need to restore your data. either from the cloud or as I mentioned using the Universal USB HDD adapter to copy from the other HDD.

Good luck.

Rich