So I've been stuck with this problem for the last couple of weeks. I've tried everything i could get my hands around and spend so much effort and time to figure it out but I really can't. I've attached the window that pops up when I try to open a program (not all of them but some like Microsoft Office and Skype). Thanks for your effort and time in advance I appreciate your help! ![]()
Windows can not find the programme's path.
4 min read
Have you tried using a System Restore Point created before the problem started?
Regards
paws
Yes, I have tried to restore the system but didn't work, unfortunately!
Do you mean that System Restore failed to operate? or that it operated but failed to solve the problem?
Regards
paws
Failed to solve the problem, the restoration was completed normally!
You state that you get that pop up when you attempt to open a program. What program are you attempting to open?
That pop up is telling you it can't find a specific file to open. Does that file actually exist in a folder on your desktop called 'USB'?
So, this message pops up only when i try to open certain programs, such as skype and all microsoft office documents (words, excels etc). Yes the folder USB with the word document in it exist on my desktop.
Should I just give up on it then? If you don't have any more ideas, I really tried whatever I could possibly think.
What happens when you go to that .doc and double click on it, without starting word first?
Well, I get the message I attached above. But it's not like I can not open that specific .doc document. The problem is that I can't open any microsoft office program at all (and skype, spotify or CAD) and everytime i double click to open them I get the same error.
I have no idea what could be causing this. At first I thought, perhaps it was an error in Microsoft office, but AutoCAD has no such startup routine. I guess you didn't actually say AutoCAD but I don't know of and CAD program that would try to open a doc file.
Fair enough. Thanks a lot for your time thought mate, much appreciated!
What do you get if you open a Command Prompt and enter assoc docx?
On my system, I get the following for assoc and ftype:
>assoc .docx
.docx=Word.Document.12
>ftype Word.Document.12
Word.Document.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
>assoc.docx
.docx=Word.Document.12
>ftype Word.Document.12
Word.Document.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE" /n "%1" /o "%u"
Sorry for the late response.
Try changing it to match mine. From a Command Prompt, enter:
ftype Word.Document.12="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
then enter
ftype Word.Document.12
and make sure you get the same response you entered.
Now try double clicking on the docx file.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI