Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

BlackSOD or failing video card/monitor?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Denise_M1

Denise_M1

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:23 PM

Lately, my computer keeps running but my monitor loses picture, sometimes when I'm in the middle of something, other times when I've been afk for a while.  I turned off power saver to my monitor in Windows so it shouldn't shut down after not being used for a while.  I don't know if my video card is failing or Windows/my computer is failing.  Maybe its my monitor? 

I have:

-ASUS VS228H-P 21.5" Full-HD 5ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor
-Windows 10 (bought and installed Sept 2018)
-MSI Gaming GeForce GT 710 2GB GDRR3 64-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 OpenGL 4.5 Single Fan Low Profile Graphics Card (GT 710 2GD3 LP)  (bought Sept 2018)
-GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 (Award Bios v F13a) (bought 2009)
-Crucial CT848124 8Gb (4x2Gb) DDR2-800 UDIMM (bought Sept 2018)
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield, Socket 775 LGA (bought 2009)

- WD Caviar Black Hdd 2Tb (bought Sept 2018)

I know that some of my pc parts are old but other than losing video, I'm not having any other problems.

Are there tests to see if a video card or monitor is failing?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

Hello Denise_M1,

Checked the specs of your MB here and it shows that there is no onboard graphics so unless you have another card that you could swap in for testing you are pretty limited with troubleshooting I`m afraid.

-ASUS VS228H-P 21.5" Full-HD 5ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor

Do you have a notebook type computer that you could hook up to the ASUS monitor, if the video from the notebook displays without issue on the ASUS screen you have at least ruled that out as the cause and should look elsewhere, the GT 710 and the PSU being the first two items to check.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the PSU for us.