This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HP PC won't completely boot up

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I have an older HP desktop that suddenly won't boot up. It came with Win7 but was upgraded to Win10. When I turn it on, it starts to boot but freezes at a screen that asks what language to select for the keyboard!

I tried using the onboard HP utility to restore the PC and also repair the system with no luck. The diagnostic shows that all is ok (memory, HDD, etc) but says it can't find an OS. Is it possible that the OS became corrupted? What steps do I need to do if that is the case?

 

TIA,

 

Taz

Hello tasman27,

 

 When I turn it on, it starts to boot but freezes at a screen that asks what language to select for the keyboard!

 

 

Is that a Windows screen to which you refer, if yes, to see if you can get Windows 10 to start in the recovery environment (RE) use the power button to start up and shut down the computer a couple of times, it may take 3 or 4 attempts and you should make sure that you shutdown and start up the computer just before it gets to the point where it has recently been stopping.

Hi Phill..

 

Thanks for your comment. It was my sister's PC and she's decided since it's abt 7 years old to just go ahead and replace it with something updated. I didn't get to try your procedure however so I can't verify if it would have worked.

 

Thanks for your help tho!

 

Regards,

 

Taz

Just a quick FU….she took it to the "Geek" Squad where she bought her new PC. According to them, the MB wasn't measuring up to snuff. Found that hard to believe since I've had a few MB's go in my time and they didn't act like this. Not sure they knew what they were doing….if anything I would have suspected the HDD or RAM.

 

Taz

Thanks for the follow up Taz  :thumbup:

 

Not sure they knew what they were doing.

 

 

 

I am in 100% agreement with you and the easiest way to have checked would have been to try booting from something like Puppy Linux which uses the RAM to boot from, if the system boots you know that the MB and RAM are ok and that the problem was Windows or HDD related, I suspect Windows tbh.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI