This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound problems, networking problems

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

I have a couple of persisting, rather irritating problems.

 

The first one concerns the sound. Half the time, I start my computer, there is no sound.

I have checked the settings for the audio, and it's set to the default speakers. I can't find anythihng wrong there.

In the device manager, I have an "unknown device" - there are no info whatsoever on it. Once I disabled it, and

then I didn't have any sound problems for a good while. Now, the problem is back, though.

 

The other problem is, that sometimes - not very often - active networks don't show in my list, making it impossible to connect to them. I have absolutely no clue about that, and as it happens only rather infrequently doesn't make it easier..

 

I attach screenshots from Unknown device/Properties.

 

Thank you very much

Jens

 

Hmm.. not allowed to attach the file..

No screenshot, no information on your operating system or your hardware.
Can't help you if you don't give us anything to work with, sorry.

What kind of file were you trying to attach? Make sure you clicked on Use Full Editor then use the Browse and Attach buttons below the input area, max file size is 100MB.

Sorry, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on an Asus K54C.

 

I can't find the "Use full editor", where would it be

 

I wanted to attach screenshots of properties for the "Unknown device" that figures in the device manager..

I think, I already tried this..

 

Yes, and I get the same error message:

 

Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

 

- it's a Word document.

Hi

until Rich has an opportunity to come back to you try attaching the file as a jpeg rather than as a Microsoft Word Document.

 

Take a sceen dump as you have done before paste it into mspaint save it to your desktop as a (jpeg or jpg) or somewhere handy and then try to attach it

Regards

paws

Right - downloaded it.

 

USB3_Asmedia_Win7_64_Z11440

 

I tried Update Driver on Unknown Device, but Windows doesn't seem to find it, all though it's on the Desktop.

I get through the first step of installing Ok, but the next (Host Controller Driver) fails - says the installation was interrupted.

However, now the ASMedia XHCI Controller is on the list in Device Manager, and should be working properly. And gone is the "Unknown Device".

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI