This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

oldman960

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

We are okay at the moment. Williams Lake is under an alert. Nothing is expected to happen until Wednesday if the predicted wind change occurs. The threat is from a large fire about 20 km away and on the other side of the river.

 

Got my wife's voice when I phoned home so I still have a home for the time being. I don't know what that fire is doing or which direction it is going.

 

I'll keep this thread updated regularly or if anything significant happens.

11:30 am

 

Wind has shifted to a sw wind which is our direction. A more favorable wind is expected about 2:00 pm. They are expected to hold until midnight. We'll see what happens after that'

Got in and picked up a few more things. Everything looked good out there.

The threat to Williams Lake is coming from the west. Currently there is a east wind which should hold until around midnight. Crews have been on the fire all day and may have made progress with fireguards to prevent it from jumping the river.
West wind expected around 11:00pm, about 5-6kmh.smoke starting to settle in for the night. Temp is 23C with low or 13C. No rain in sight.

93 Mile given unofficial warning for high winds over night.

A recap on what I saw on the way out from Williams Lake to home. I would have taken pictures if I wasn't alone.

First sign of a fire was by Chief William gasbar. It came down the hill in between the gasbar and the house that is on the curve near the top of the hill. Missed both and continued around the curve. The fire burnt the entire yard at the house that is quite aways of the road but left the house intact. It followed the edge of the highway for about 1/4 mile then crossed the highway. It burned down both sides until the big billboard on the right were that side seemed to stop. On the left it burned down the highway to just before the auto wreckers. The fire went into Frontier Place right up to the first row of houses. From the road it looked like one may have been slightly scorched along the bottom. Likely, Ferguson and Jefferson Roads were untouched, not even any scorch marks. Once inside the only evidence was a very slight smoke smell in the computer room were a window had been left open.

We are now in for about 10 hours of a west breeze. Hope whatever fireguards they got into place will keep the fire on the west side of the river.

Calm and smokey this morning. Breeze from the west to continue for the next 2 days. The rain predicted for Sunday may not happen until Tuesday. They are planning to do some burn offs today weather permitting. There is optimism that the fire won't jump the river.

150 Mile House fire 50% contained. Spokin Lake fire 75% contained.

 

Hanceville fire 0% contained. Wind unchanged and possibility of dry lightning this afternoon.

 

Still on alert.

I can't imagine what you are going through…

Our thoughts and prayers are winging their way to you as we "speak"

 

Let us hope that the wind and rain provide the outcomes for you all that you desire.

It got pretty smoky for awhile but I'm sure it was from the burn off. Wind picked up a bit. The lightning that was feared may have moved off the north.

 

Still on alert but everything seems stable for the moment.

It's pretty calm right now. Hope it stays that way. Just after sunset it looked much like a nice summer evening. Pale blue skies with a scattering of clouds. There was some smoke above the surrounding hills. Just now I looked up and could make out a few star.

 

The fire containment % hasn't been updated yet but judging from the smoke in the air I think it has gone up.

 

Still on alert and will be until the fire to the NW is either contained or controlled.

 

Wind SW 6-10kmh, 14C. Tomorrow the wind may change to a south wind for awhile which should help us here.

No official updates yet this morning. Blue sky with lots of clouds.

 

A little smokier today. Conflicting weather reports. 23kmh windows and 30% chance of rain with thunder showers. Weather Network reports 10kmh wind with no rain until Wednesday.

 

 

Please note that the topic is now 2 pages long. Click the 2 at the lower left.