This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Cannot Install Anti-Virus [Solved]

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

 

I got a new HP laptop with windows 10. After 3 months, the net browsing became very slow. After some search on net i found out "svchost.exe" is automatically runs on my system and takes up all the internet bandwidth.

 

I used to open my "resource manager" and in network tabs I would end the svchost.exe program. Then the browsing speed would become fast as before. This was done every time I switched on my laptop. The svchost.exe would start automatically and I had to end the process every time.

 

Once, my laptop would connect to WiFi network but there would be no internet connection. All my other devices connected to the same network were having internet access. On doing some research on internet, I found a solution - "delete all files in TEMP folder. Disconnect the WiFi network and reconnect". This solution worked.

 

Last week, same problem occurred. My laptop would not have internet access even though it was connected to WiFi network. I tried the same solution. This time few files related to McAfee antivirus were not getting delete. So, I uninstalled Mcfee Antivirus and deleted the files in TEMP folder. The solution worked and I could access the internet.

 

Problem: Now I cannot open taskmanager, resource manager or install an antivirus. I tried avast, avira and eset. The resolution in google chrome browser has also changed automatically. It has become big. Rest all other resolutions are same as before.

I also tried running the utilities posted under this section - aswMBR and  Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. They do not run and I get the same error for each of these programs - "The service cannot accept control message at this time"

 

 

I have attached a screenshot as well. Please let me know in case more information is required.

 

Please help asap :(

Hello maddy04 and welcome to WTT.

Apologies for the delay in replying.

The problem you describe sounds like a networking issue, not malware.

Also, why are you trying to install an antivirus when Windows 10 has a perfectly good one, (Windows Defender)?

Please give me an update on your situation.

Thanks

Satchfan

Hello Satchfan

 

Thanks for getting back.

 

3 main issues which I am facing:-

 

1. Internet bandwidth being eaten up by svchost.exe. Hence, net speed becomes slow.

2. Cannot open Task Manager or Resource Manager to stop the svchost.exe

3. My usage consist of lot of file transfer from pen drives. Hence, I feel the need of an antivirus. Windows defender never give a notification for scan when I insert a pen drive.

 

Some websites say that svchost.exe is a malware while some say its a windows file. This also made me install a good antivirus, in case its a malware and needs to be removed.

 

Hope this helps in solving the issues.

 

Thanks

Windows defender never give a notification for scan when I insert a pen drive.

 

You can tell it to scan the pen drive.

 

Some websites say that svchost.exe is a malware while some say its a windows file. This also made me install a good antivirus, in case its a malware and needs to be removed.

 

svchost is a windows file and other antiviruses won't find anything that Windows Defender can't.

 

OK let’s run some scans and see if there’s a problem.

Run Farbar Service Scanner

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:


Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender
Other Services

  • press "Scan".
  • it will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • please copy and paste the log to your reply.

 

The Faber Service scanner tool is not running. I am getting the same error when opening Task Manager, Resource Manager. I have mentioned this is my 1st post. The screen shot is also attached there.

:(

Let’s try something.

Please copy all text in the code box below and paste it into Notepad:

net stop w3svc
net stop iisadmin
net start iisadmin
net start w3svc
  • save the Notepad file to your desktop and name it RestartIIS.bat
  • save type as ‘All Files’
  • on your desktop, double-click on RestartIIS.bat to run it, (a black CMD window will flash, then disappear - this is normal).

Can you try running Farbar Service Scanner again.

Satchfan

You may have disabled an important service.

Please copy all text in the code box below and paste it into Notepad:
 

@echo off
sc config Appinfo start= demand
exit
  • save the Notepad file to your desktop and name it Appinfo.bat
  • save type as ‘All Files’
  • on your desktop, double-click on Appinfo.bat to run it, (a black CMD window will flash, then disappear - this is normal).

Please reboot and let me know what happens.

 

Awesome… the service has started. Even the task manager and resource manager is opening now !!

 

Wonderful !! 1 problem solved. :) :)

 

Can you please tell me what mistake did I do? Which service did I disabled? 

This is the log from the FSS.txt file

 

 

 

 

 

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 27-01-2016
Ran by [removed] (administrator) on 25-10-2016 at 19:39:22
Running from "C:\Users\Madhav Gupta\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal
****************************************************************
 
Internet Services:
============
 
Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.
 
 
Windows Firewall:
=============
 
Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================
 
 
System Restore:
============
 
System Restore Policy: 
========================
 
 
Security Center:
============
 
 
Windows Update:
============
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of wuauserv service is set to Disabled. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of wuauserv service is OK.
The ServiceDll of wuauserv service is OK.
 
BITS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of BITS service is set to Disabled. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of BITS service is OK.
The ServiceDll of BITS service is OK.
 
 
Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================
 
 
Windows Defender:
==============
 
Other Services:
==============
 
 
File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed
 
 
**** End of log ****

Glad that solved one problem.

 

Can you please tell me what mistake did I do? Which service did I disabled?

 

You should not have stopped any svchost processes as they are necessary for the running of vital Windows services.

 

Each of those processes is responsible for more than one service so stopping one svchost process could have stopped other services also.

 

============================================

 

There are a few things that need to be dealt with before looking at your computer to check for malware.

 

The resolution in google chrome browser has also changed automatically. It has become big.

 

It may be possible for you to make it smaller by holding down Ctrl and pressing the '-', (minus), key.

 

============================================

 

You also have NO security running so you need to enable Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. Whatever you choose to do later, you should not be using the Internet unprotected.

 

Turn Windows Defender on or off

Turn Windows 10 Firewall on or off

============================================

You also need to change the state of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Updates which are both set to ‘Disabled’.

  • type services.msc in Start Screen search and press Enter
  • double-click on it to open up its ‘Properties’ window
  • double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and change the ‘Startup type’ to Automatic
  • also, under ‘Service status’ check that the service is currently running, (Start will be greyed out)
  • scroll down to Windows Updates and change the ‘Startup type’ to Automatic (Delayed Start
  • under ‘Service status’ check that this service is also currently running
  • close the window and restart your computer.

 

Let me know when you've done that and if you had any problems.

Dear Satchfan

 

1. If I do not turn off svchost.exe my internet becomes slow. I have attached a screenshot of my Resource manager. It eats up all the bandwidth.

 

2. The windows defender and windows firewall were already on. I ran a quick scan too using windows defender. It says everything is clean. It is up to date too.

 

3. Please advice, do I need to install an antivirus now or Windows defender and Windows Firewall will be sufficient.

 

4. Regarding, Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update - I myself disabled them as they are the 2 files which run in svchost.exe. After viewing the attached screenshot, If you still suggest to enable them, I will do it. Request you to please suggest a solution for improving the net speed then.

 

 

Thanks

Attachments:

Please also refer to this attachment. Even though the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update are disabled, still svchost.exe is running and taking up all internet bandwidth.

I have selected the activities in Task manager running under same PID as svchost.exe

Attachments:

do I need to install an antivirus now or Windows defender and Windows Firewall will be sufficient.

Windows defender and Windows Firewall, (as well as some other security programs), are all that I have on my Windows 10 machine so that will be fine.

========================================

Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update must   be enabled.

Windows Update should be enabled for obvious reasons and Background Intelligent Transfer Service is used for Windows and driver updates so therefore shouldn't be disabled.

I'd like another check and then I'd advise you to start a topic in the Windows 10 forum where they have more knowledge than I do about your operating system and what 'should' and 'shouldn't' be running as I don't believe this is a malware problem.

Run Security Check

Download Security Check by screen317 from here.

  • save it to your Desktop.
  • double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • a Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE: If you get the following message: UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED!, try rebooting the system and then run SecurityCheck again.

Satchfan

Hi Satchfan

 

I would like to give 1 more update. I ran a full scan with windows defender and 2 virus were detected. Please refer attached screenshot. I have removed them and running full scan again now.

Once completed, I will download and run security check.

Thanks

Attachments:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI