This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unable to open paypal homepage

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So when i go to paypal.com (i tried also tying it into google search, and then opening it) i get a "page not found" error.

That happens on both my computer and my laptop. It's only on PayPal.

Works fine for me. Just tried opening the link and it loaded fine.

 

Have you tried changing your dns server address? Seems maybe something is wrong with dos resolution

Works for me too. Try again. It may have been down when you tried. If not, try a different browser. If it works, clean out all your cookies and try your regular browser again. I would not mess with your DNS server unless you start having problems accessing a bunch of sites.

It's not down, other people can access it when i can't.

Doesn't load on Microsoft Edge either.

It's still only PayPal. Very weird indeed.

To be sure, you used to be able to access PayPal with both your PC and notebook through this same network before, right?
 
Have you made any changes to your network? Have you changed your DNS settings?
 
When you say "other people" can access PayPal, are their computers connected to this same network?
 
Do you use a custom HOSTS file? Note this would be something you (or another user of your computers) would have set up. In other words, if you use a custom HOSTS file, you would know it.
 
Did you clean out all your cookies? You can do this with Disk Cleanup or with a program like CCleaner.

I was able before, yes.

Other people means other networks.

Anyone who connects to my network is unable to open it up.

I haven't messed with anything on my router.

Cookies shouldn't effect incognito mode, right? Well, it can't open in incognito mode either.

If you mean Chrome's incognito mode, then no. But I still recommend you purge all your cookies. Did you do that?

 

If no one on your network is able to access PayPal, then DevDream may have been on to something from the very beginning.

Are you the only one with admin access to your router?

I would start by resetting your entire network. That is unplug (this is important) from the wall everything - that is, modem, router, and all computers. If your gateway device (typically the modem) has a battery backup, remove the battery (same with notebooks). Wait about a minute, then plug in the modem and wait for the lights to settle down. Then the router (if not integrated with modem) and wait for those lights to settle, then the computers. Then see if you have access.

 

If still not working, you might want change the DNS settings in your router. If you have not changed these before, you are using the DNS settings provided by your ISP. When the changes are done in the router, the changes work for everyone connected to your network so they only have to be changed in this one place.

 

Note the settings before you make the changes so you can easily change them back if you want (otherwise, you have to reset your network again). There are several DNS providers but I recommend OpenDNS. It is a free service provided by Cisco.

 

 

I can't mess with the router since a cousin of mine had trouble setting it up - 1 main router in the hallway to which only my computer is connected and a router with two big antennas in the living room which covers everything else. What are you guessing is the problem?

I don't know but it sounds like you need to get your cousin or whoever is responsible for the router to get involved. Or maybe contact your ISP for help.

Then either your or your cousin need to reset everything as I described above, or you need to contact your ISP tech support. But I assure you, one of the first things your ISP is going to have you do is reset your network.

If you mean Chrome's incognito mode, then no. But I still recommend you purge all your cookies. Did you do that?
 
If no one on your network is able to access PayPal, then DevDream may have been on to something from the very beginning.
Are you the only one with admin access to your router?
I would start by resetting your entire network. That is unplug (this is important) from the wall everything - that is, modem, router, and all computers. If your gateway device (typically the modem) has a battery backup, remove the battery (same with notebooks). Wait about a minute, then plug in the modem and wait for the lights to settle down. Then the router (if not integrated with modem) and wait for those lights to settle, then the computers. Then see if you have access.
 
If still not working, you might want change the DNS settings in your router. If you have not changed these before, you are using the DNS settings provided by your ISP. When the changes are done in the router, the changes work for everyone connected to your network so they only have to be changed in this one place.
 
Note the settings before you make the changes so you can easily change them back if you want (otherwise, you have to reset your network again). There are several DNS providers but I recommend OpenDNS. It is a free service provided by Cisco.


Excuse me, please clarify what you mean when you said that I may have been onto something from the very beginning?

Also, I don't believe changing DNS settings is a problem. I've fiddled around with changing to Google etc when I had ISP issues, and it was fine!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI