Does your laptop support 5 ghz wifi? Not all do. If you do have it… it may not be enabled. Try going into your Device Manager > Network adapters > Properties > Advanced > 802.11n mode and select Enabled under values
I know of no reason that the 5 ghz signal will be faster than the 2.5 ghz signal. The 5 ghz signal will have a shorter range than the 2.5. The benefit to the 5 ghz is that there are more available channels with less overlap, and you are less likely to have interference from other devices like cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors - and other wifi systems. The more congested an area you live in (like an apartment with many wifi networks), the more advantageous the 5 ghz is. Also, in those situations, fewer computer use the signal also.
Thanks for the information I did not know about. Especially ghz not mhz.
Being that 5gz has a shorter range but good to use in a congested area, it may benefit me as I live in Leisure World which has 8,000 residents all spread out in various types of dwellings over 100's of acres of country.
Secondly, I will bridge the gateway with those choices when I get my new router and develop a new set up. The knowledge of the Ghz settings will help me to set it up properly.
When I get it, I may be back for more advice.
The old Belkin did a good job for its 6 years but is weary as I get snappy phones and laptop reception with data but sluggish reception with the old router.
In device manager, and at values, it said "auto" which I changed to "enabled".
It does not say 802.11 specifically there but does say so everywhere else in network adapter.
After enabling it instead of auto I see no SSID I am looking for so I guess the age of the laptop does not have the software to see as the phones do -sound right?
Should I switch back to auto or leave it at enabled, or does it matter?
Is the laptop on line via the Ghz 2.5 instead of the phones 5?
If none of the 802.11 entries say 802.11a or 802.11ac… then you probably don't have 5 ghz capabilities. Couple that with the fact that you can't see the 5 ghz symbol… and I'd say you don't have it. My Lenovo laptop is only a year old and I don't have it.
I'd change it back to auto.
Based on what appears to be the fact that you don't have 5 ghz capability on your laptop… I'd say you are connected through the 2.5 (or technically 2.4)ghz radio.
If there is not 5ghz radio receiver in your system… it will not be able to receive signals on that wavelength. I do not understand what you mean when you say "Rather it needs the 2.5 to be protected - correct?" I think that both signals should be protected. Even if you can't receive it… someone else may be able to.
The best way I know to determine if you have a 5 ghz reciever is to:
Open a command prompt
type in netsh wlan show drivers and then press enter
A bunch of information will be provided. Down a few lines it should say Radio types supported. Then protocols will be listed. I would expect to see 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n. 802.11n standards do cover 5 ghz, so that means you may have it.. but not necessarily. If you see 802.11a or 802.11ac - then you have a 5 ghz radio receiver. Even though 802.11n covers 5 ghz, I think it is unlikely that they wouldn't at least list 802.11a if you have that capability.
to be honest i don't think anyone should be using wep unless there is a hardware reason, everyone should use at least wpa, preferably wpa2 encryption.
2.5 and 5 ghz have nothing to do with the encryption, just think of them as 2 different roads to get you(data) to the same place.
802.11 a,b,g,n,ac are all just different widths of the 2 roads, the wider the road the more traffic and faster you(data) gets to it's destination.
think of "a" as a single lane road, with each letter the roads gets wider, until your at the latest "ac" which is a 10 lane highway, and where the latest wifi speed capabilities currently stop at.
My laptop connects to the 2.5 because it cannot see the 5 Mhz.
If the phones see the SSID for 5, why can't the laptop?
simple answer to original question (which tomk as probably already answered.) is that the wifi hardware inside the laptop is not capable of transmitting or receiving data at that frequency range.
except that the single lane highway would be the 802.11b which transmits at 11 mbps. 802.11a transmits at 54 mbps - as does 802.11g. 802.11n gets you up to 300 mbps and 802.11ac can give you up to 1300 mbps.
i believe a standard only works on 5ghz frequency, b and g standards only work on 2.4ghz frequency, and n and ac standards can work on either 2.4 or 5ghz frequencies, but not 100% sure.
I would like a modem and my router but I have telephone involved in the triple play from Comcast which requires the gateway? I no not know if they can peek in the back door.
Would you say I would be appreciably more secure with a newer router which has AC rather than the router within the isp's gateway ?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI