Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cannot ping anyone?

ping internet

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 Cactuscobbler

Cactuscobbler

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

10.0.0.1 is my 3-in-1's IP. It makes sense that it is that because it's what connects me to the internet and is part of Comcast's big network; I think I'm done guys. I have a new Comcast unit coming in hopefully in the next week so I'm just going to scrap my network and build another from the ground up with the new unit. I don't think it's the unit at fault at all, but I'm going insane haha. Unless you guys really want to see this through (I'm gonna try at least one more time with your suggestions because I find this interesting) I'm just gonna leave it until the new one comes in. But all in all I want to thank everyone for their patience and help. If I seemed like a 'smart-aleck' or a 'know-it-all' please forgive me. I'm just studying to do this kinda stuff and I really wanted to understand what was wrong and shtuff. If I fix it somehow, I'll be happy to reply to this topic again and let you guys know all about it. Otherwise, thanks again.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

The only problem I have is your unwillingness to try suggestions - like pulling one router and rebuilding your network with just one.

In any case, I would like to know how this turns out so please keep us posted when the new Comcast device comes in.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#18 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

I get 10.0.0.1 at the default router address when I have a 2nd router connected to the first router (192.168.1.1). If I turn off NAT then the 2nd router becomes pass-thru and the first router does the IP address assignment.

So you are both right I think. Get rid of the 2nd router (totally disconnect) until you get the first Modem/Router working correctly.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#19 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

If I understand correctly, the "people" you can't ping are in your house. Therefore the problem shouldn't be firewall or DNS.

I don't see where you provided this information:

What does ipconfig /all reveal for your other connected devices?

This is important.  It is my experience that 10.0.xxx.xxx networks are more often found in business settings and 192.168.xxx.xxx are usually found in residences.  It sounds to me like there is a good chance that your "new" laptop is on a different network than the rest of your devices.  Could this new laptop have formerly been used in a business environment?

You can have devices set up on different networks and still gain access to the internet through the router... as long as the device knows where the router is.  You could set up a network in your house for the parents with 192.1.xxx.xxx and one for the children at 192.2.xxx.xxx both tied to a router of 10.0.xxx.xxx.  All devices would find the internet through the router... but they would not be able to "see" each other.  That sounds to me like what you are experiencing.  Also, often time routers are set up in a different network IP range than the devices... specifically to keep devices on the network from accessing the router setting to change things.

The report you have provided says:

10.0.0.2(Preferred)

The preferred tells me that you laptop is asking for an address in the 10.0.0.xxx network.  If any one of those three sets of numbers are different on your other devices (the forth number must be different, but the first three must be the same), then you wouldn't be able to ping. 

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#20 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

It's possible that a simple fix might be to just go into you IP settings on your laptop, open the second tab called Alternate Configuration, and click on Automatic Private IP address then OK your way out and see how you go.

Be sure to leave the first tab (General) clicked on Obtain an IP address automatically

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#21 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

If I turn off NAT then the 2nd router becomes pass-thru and the first router does the IP address assignment.

And that makes sense because when you turn off NAT, in effect, you are using this "pass-through router as a simple Ethernet "switch" and not a router because you are not connecting (or isolating) two networks (the primary function of a router, you are simply expanding the connection capability of one.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#22 Cactuscobbler

Cactuscobbler

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

Alright guys, so it's been a while. Due to Comcast's amazing customer service, I had to call a week after the latest they said they would send it just for them to tell me the order was never processed. So.. I'm looking to buy my own now. I wanna stop leasing the one I have but I also just wanna see if the device itself is the issue. Anyway that's besides the point. Mr. Ztruker might have been onto something with the DNS settings. I pinged my device because my connection is acting up again. My device's IP is 10.0.0.1, so when I pinged it, It read "Ping 10.0.0.1        pinging 10.0.0.4" etc and I got 0% data loss. Clear transmission between my device and an IP I've never seen before. Could someone be jacking with my network? When I try to ping 10.0.0.1 I get 100% data loss... so I'm assuming an IP hostname resolution issue.. or someone jacking with my network I don't know. I wanna get your guy's opinion on this. Thank you.

(PS. I understand. I'll try to try out suggestions as I get them. My apologies)

#23 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

It is not likely someone is messing with your Ethernet (wired) network. That is not easy to do without physically (plugging a cable into) accessing it. You should be able log into your router and see the attached devices.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#24 Cactuscobbler

Cactuscobbler

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Well I can see that only my Wii and laptop are connected at the moment, Digerati. But there are still differing IP's. I disconnected the router a long time ago. I've been running the network on just the 3in1 and just now got a successful ping to my router. I get 25% loss to google, but that could be anything. So miraculously, it seems to be fine, now. all I did was a number of resets...

Well, I don't know what to tell you, Mr. Tomk. 10.0.0.1 is that device's IP as far as I know. It was set up that way. This laptop was actually a gift from a company but it was never used at the company or anything. It was given to me in the box. I don't know if that affects anything. All other devices in my network (laptop, wii) have 'regular' IPs (192.168.x.x).

So I apologize, I didn't mean to waste anyone's time, but it just works. Maybe your presence is what helps, so thank you haha.

It might also be that I need a WiFi range extender because my device is on the second floor of my house, while my devices are on the 1st. I didn't think it a big deal though since there's just one turn to get to the wii..

PS I don't know how to access IP settings in W10...

PPS (editing is horrible on this, but what I meant by "differing IP's" is the 10.0.0.4 thing. My 3in1's IP is 10.0.0.1 but I occasionally still get 10.0.0.4)

Edited by Cactuscobbler, 05 August 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#25 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

You're not wasting anyones time.  We all have the same goal of helping you get things straightened out... and perhaps learn something as we go along.

My thought about the different IP's is that someone had set up a preference for 10.0.0.x.  That was why I suggested you go in and clear out preferences to allow everything to be set automatically by DHCP.  DHCP should not set some units to 192.168.x.x and some to 10.0.0.x.  It should only assign from one network.

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Tom is right. You are not wasting our time. If we did not want to do this, we would not be here.

I get 25% loss to google, but that could be anything.

It could be any number of things but it still is not right. I just pinged Google 4 times and go 0% loss each. Same with www.yahoo.com and www.whatthetech.com. You definitely should have 0% packet loss between your computers and your router, between your computers and your modem (which will be different than the router, even if integrated) and between you and your ISP.

Try a trace route (tracert www.google.com) and see if you see where packets are getting lost. If you see * and timed out, that could be where your loss is. If between you and your ISP, they should be able to help you isolate it. If after your ISP, there's nothing you can do.

Note that damaged Ethernet cables are a common cause of lost packets. These are critical network devices that are not very robust.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#27 Cactuscobbler

Cactuscobbler

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

Well thanks guys but I didn't mean that in a bad way haha. Nonetheless thank you.

Tomk, How do you clear those preferences? Is it something I do through the config utility of the commectivity device or on each of the hosts?

Digerati, I just pinged google and I got 0% loss twice. But I did get 25% loss in yahoo. But it's worth mentioning that the path my router takes to google does have one *, I guess meaning a faulty Access Point or whatever it is? The path to yahoo is fine; maybe it's just my particular location and the path I have to take to google.

Thanks guys

#28 Cactuscobbler

Cactuscobbler

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Well thanks guys but I didn't mean that in a bad way haha. Nonetheless thank you.

Tomk, How do you clear those preferences? Is it something I do through the config utility of the commectivity device or on each of the hosts?

Digerati, I just pinged google and I got 0% loss twice. But I did get 25% loss in yahoo. But it's worth mentioning that the path my router takes to google does have one *, I guess meaning a faulty Access Point or whatever it is? The path to yahoo is fine; maybe it's just my particular location and the path I have to take to google.

Thanks guys

#29 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

In one tracert test, I got one * to Google too. It can mean it took too long or required too many hops. The key is, it keeps going with no packet loss.

Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#30 Cactuscobbler

Cactuscobbler

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

Then it might just be out of my hands because all of my devices communicate with each other fine. and my router does always get the first two hops fast and easy (70ms to 170ms) So it might just be a problem with some of the connectivity devices I use to hop in my area?