I have recently formatted my HD and installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bits over it. I would like to make some changes in the registry (set the my ethernet to "metered", for example), but I need administrator privileges. I'm the only user, but the system denies me access to those keys. What should I do to become the administrator?
To set the ethernet to "metered", we need to change the value of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost - Ethernet" from 1 to 2, right?
When i change the dword, a dialog box says there was an error in the attempt to save the value.
When i try to edit the permissions (so my account can alter those values), i have the access denied.
I have two active user accounts: "Pablo", which was created when i installed the OS, and "Administrator", who has less privileges than Pablo, since it can't even open a single image with the default viewer (the dialog box says this account is an "internal administrator account", and so it cant open those files).
I looked for a solution in the Microsoft site, tried tenforuns, windowscentral, superuser, cnet, but found no viable solution. I tried to log in the administrator account using the command prompt (net user Administrator /active:yes) but it failed. Could it be that my brazilian version of Windows 10 Pro 64bits is slight different form the US version?
Only a guess. I hope i didnt annoy you with my sad failures log :)))
You need to issue net user Administrator /active:yes from a Elevated Command Prompt.
Press Windows key + X, select Command Prompt (Admin)
Enter net user Administrator /active:yes and press Enter.
That should work. Now you can login as the real Administrator.
As for the registry, you need to change the Owner from TrustedInstaller to Desktop\Administrators before you can set Full control. Once you have that you can change Ethernet to 2. I just tried it and it worked once I did that.
4. If you have not already, you will need to first change the owner of the DefaultMediaCost registry key in the left pane to be the Administrators group. (see screenshot below step 3)
5. If you have not already, you will need to second set permissions of the DefaultMediaCost registry key in the left pane to "Allow" the Administrators group "Full control". (see screenshot below step 3)
I tried the command prompt solution and it didn't work. I entered the command but had no change not even after rebooting the system.
I am afraid of change the ownership of the registry to Administrator (Administrador) since that account has even less privileges than the only other account i am able to log in to. I cant use any account other than "Pablo" and "Administrador", the last having almost no privileges.
As to the quotes from both tenforums posts, I cant follow their instructions because i cant set full control to any accounts.
The owner of the registry key is already the TrustedInstaller. But my "Pablo" account (which is the only one i really use, because of its larger privileges) can't modify anything. Isn't "Pablo" the TrustedInstaller? I ask that because there's no other account I have created, and "TrustedInstaller" is not in the list of logable accounts in the "Change User" screen (when you type ctrl-alt-del).
Anyway, even running the Elevated Command Prompt, calling the directory c:\users\Pablo and then runnig the "net user Administrator /active:yes" command line didn't help. Every directory inside which i ran the command didnt make my account access the registry keys to change the values. It failed too after i logged to the "Administrador" account and there ran the elevated Command Prompt.
No no no. The point of doing net user Administrator /active:yes is to enabled the built in Administrator account. Then you can sign in/log in as Administrator and make the registry change. You don't do it from your Pablo account.
You just cant give full control to the Administrator account through that command line. You run the command, you log to the account… and then have the access denied.
Ah, okay, I misunderstood. You can login as Administrator but you can't change the owner to Administrator then change the value of the registry key from 1 to 2?
Is Pablo and Administrator account? When I open Control Panel, User Accounts this is what I see:
Ah, okay, I misunderstood. You can login as Administrator but you can't change the owner to Administrator then change the value of the registry key from 1 to 2?
Yes, that's correct.
Is Pablo and Administrator account? When I open Control Panel, User Accounts this is what I see:
Do you see the same (other than the name of course)?
Yes, I do.
"Pablo" is a local account from the Administrators group. Oddly, all Administrators' accounts have no full control to anything. Only the TrustedInstaller does. Which I cant log in to. If only I could log in to that, I could alter the permissions of the other accounts, change the registry values, etc. If only.
In step 4 i clicked on "Advanced", clicked on "Search now", choose the "Pablo" account, OK, "Apply" on "Advanced Security Settings" (but the name of the account didnt show up between the others with access), then OK… And still had my access denied to the registry key.
By "clean install" you mean backup every files, reinstall it and install all my apps again.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI