Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Outlook.com

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hello

I got an email from MS saying my Outlook.com account is connected by WLM.

I have not used WLM for over a year.

It says in June there will be a transition but are not specific. They suggest 2 ways to join the new Outlook.com accounts neither of which i like. One is an alias and the other to open a new account. I do not want to lose my old one which all my contact are familiar with as am I.

I notice the Outlook.com account I made for my wife is the new version.

I have sent feed back but nothing happens.

I don't understand this at all especially as I do not use WLM.

I use eMClient not the Win 10 app.

They are also trying to sell Office.

Could it be they are saying Outlook.com will not be used as a desktop client and that nothing will change as I only use the Outlook account with a browser. My client is the eMClient I mentioned.

Has anyone else heard of this?

TY

Peter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

far as i can tell peter if you only use outlook.com in a browser then you can ignore the issue and just carry on doing what your doing.

maybe this will help you understand things better. :- http://www.zdnet.com...to-outlook-com/

:popcorn:

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:16 AM

Thanks Terry. good points well made.

I will merely remove my hotmail account (now called outllook.com) from my email client (Windows Live Mail) and carry on using webmail ( through my browser) as before...

The reason I'll remove the hotmail account from Windows Live Mail is to prevent the inevitable error messages that would otherwise ensue...

I could use Microsoft Office Outlook or the free one year subscription to Office 365 to access my Outlook.com (nee Hotmail) but to be honest I don't really fancy  either of 'em!

:rofl:

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

Could it be they are saying Outlook.com will not be used as a desktop client and that nothing will change as I only use the Outlook account with a browser. My client is the eMClient post #1.

>>The above is what I wrote in post # 1. Is this saying the same?

I honestly never knew one could use the live.com as a client and always used it with my browser. It never appeared under default.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This arose due to reading and b/c I am fixing the home page and mail for the Mrs.

Also, I tried to copy and paste to Word but the OK would not allow it to paste. I used Chrome and it worked. is that the way it should be?

Summing up, use live.com with the browser and use eMClient or another as the client and use Chrome when pasting to the forum ???

TY again for the link and information.

Peter

Edited by Peter1, 06 May 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

Hi Peter,

Yep, that's about the size of it.

All best

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

Hi Paws

I appreciate your taking the time to reply and that all fell into place.

TY

Peter

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hello

Not to obsess but this is the answer MS gave me.

>>If you access the account in Windows Live Mail via DeltaSync (i.e., not via POP3 or IMAP), you will not be able to access the account after "late June 2016."

I don't use WLM anyway.

However, I did read that MS will automatically change all live.com and Hotmail.com to Outlook.com in June

My concern is, when I sign in to my many sites like forums etc with the new name, will those sites recognize me?

Also, it is my MS account and I would hope that would be compatible or processed accurately.

I have about 50 sites where I use @live.com to sign in such as NIH, doctors, forums, stores etc.

Edited by Peter1, 07 May 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Hi Peter,

No need to worry, your email address will not change, and you will still be able to use it to log into websites as you do at the moment.

Continue to use webmail to access your Outlook.com account and you will be fine.

Regards

paws

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

When I read MS was automatically changing it in June, the obvious thoughts arose.
I'll rely on your prediction.
Thanks again
Peter

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Speaking of Outlook.com, I have 2 observations.

I used to login and see my new emails and now I see a page where I am ready to compose.

Also, I used to send an email and see a confirmation that it was sent and now I have to check my sent folder

I don't se any changes I can make.

Perhaps they are tweaking as I said before or I have an issue on my end.

This is hardly worth a reply - I just wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same things.

I notice while communicating that many people confuse Outlook.com with Outlook - n/g.

Edited by Peter1, 09 May 2016 - 10:55 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

When I log in, I see my new emails.  I have to click on the "+New" icon at the top in order to get to the window to compose a message.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#12 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

I definitely have either a setting off or some other issue. I have to keep trying and also be grateful that it is working.

I wonder if there is a default button?

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

How are you getting to outlook.com? I suspect it's the link you're using. Create a new one by typing outlook.com in the url area and pressing enter, then dragging the icon in front of the url area to the desktop with the left mouse button. This will create a new link on your desktop which, when clicked should take you to outlook.com Email inbox.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

You taught me that before and I forgot. I removed the old link from favorites and replaced it with a new one. I tried the dragging you suggested but I saw a big chrome icon on the desktop. I did not know what to do with it.  So i typed outlook.com in the address bar and when it came up I clicked to add to my browsers' favorites, one browser at a time.

All is working as it should so thank you .

Why did that fix things?

Signed

Just gotta know

Edited by Peter1, 09 May 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#15 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

outlook.png Hello

I just wanted to report an anomaly not a problem that you might find interesting. About a half year ago I created an Outlook.com account for my wife.

Hers says 'Outlook'  when she signs in and mine says Outlook.com.

It has been like that for some time. I know you have to pay for MS's Outlook so I don't understand the difference here.

Her "interface, set up, appearance" is similar to mine but more sophisticated.

I have removed old favorites and bookmarks and reached the accounts via the web, then created those.

I wish my account was like the one I created for her. I do not want to play with the sign in as it is my MS account.

Any thoughts.

The attachment might help explain

Edited by Peter1, 10 May 2016 - 10:58 AM.