This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

build parts

22 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

terri

I have been trying to create my own build at PCPartsPicker.  I have an account and can pm you my log in so you can see it. I am writing b/c although I have some issues that keep me indisposed for awhile I like to, when possible, stay in the game.

I am trying to get parts at Micro center which is near me for an in store pickup. 

 

I would like to think I am doing this myself so I just need some advice.

 

I continue to use the part site b/c it tells me if anything I pick is not compatible with my build.

 

I have the CPU(fan included), board, PSU, SSD ,HDD.

I search for the rest of my parts for compatibility but can't find them available at Micro Center.

 

Do you have any suggetions ass to how I can find them?

Peter

 

peter go to the site and look at your parts list then at the top you will see a "permalink" box with a url link in it, just copy and paste that link into your next reply and then me and everyone else can see your choices and offer any advice or recommendations without seeing or knowing your login details.  :thumbup:

 

that's how i showed you the amd build in other topic. eg. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tqd8Lk

 

:popcorn:

 

I have the CPU(fan included), board, PSU, SSD ,HDD.

I search for the rest of my parts for compatibility but can't find them available at Micro Center.

 

Do you have any suggetions rear to how I can find them?

Peter

sorry i forgot to answer that.

 

either go to micro centers site and choose from the parts they do sell (we can tell you if they are compatible or not easily enough)or your other option is to buy from somewhere else and get them delivered to your home. eg. newegg :- http://www.newegg.com/Components/Store

 

:popcorn:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pTW4K8

 

I read the specs the best I could and dropped to i5 etc to be within budget yet get good parts.

 

I could not find any Micro Center parts other than these but I read your note where I can get them other places online or buy them at the store. Using just MC seems the best option if there is a return etc. as it is 20 minutes away in Rockville MD. Saving $10 or $20 dollars elsewhere would not make sense to save considering the proximity in case of trouble.

 

I will have to find out if they know if the ones I buy are compatible with what I have as I would not know.

 

I think I mentioned to you about the features I would like if I could;

Parts with integrity;

 

Bluetooth I could get after unless the board has it. I hope I chose a board that gives ample on board audio and graphics. My current Del XPS 8300 has NVidia video and  audio cards so i don't know if not getting cards is a mistake.

The CPU I chose has its own cooler

I'd like hyper threading but I have done without and it is not crucial. Maybe this processor has it. 

I don't think I need WiFi as my router generates a WiFi signal and I am connected to the ISP by an ethernet cable.

Network confuses me. Do I need an NIC or does the Ethernet do that?

Is PCI for the graphics card?

The PSU seems to have enough watts but I did not know if that is the only consideration.

I thought b/c I only show 38 GB of a TB used on my C: currently, a 250 GB SSD would be enough along with a HHD.

Besides these 4 I could either make a list here to bring, or go to Micro center and ask for help selecting whatever else I need.

I don't know if i have to paste the CPU.

One issue that confuses me is what cables the PSU provides for my build and if I need to get more.

I still use 2 bays for optical use; CD-RW - DVD.

My printer allows for faxing which I do a lot and I think an inexpensive RJ45? or phone port would let me fax with Windows?

It would be nice to have a couple or 3 USB 3.0 along with a couple of USB 2.0 ports

I like a window and a case that opens on the side.

I found no cases or memory from Micro Center  on the PC Parts Picker site.

I would like more than 8 GB RAM although I realize 8 would suffice. It seems what ever RAM you choose is out dated in a year or two.

I would buy Win 10 Pro 64 bit for $200.00 although home would do and no OEM. I dislike that term.

I need cables, a new mouse and key board as mine are 4 1/2 years old and function but are weary.

 

So, using Speecy for reference I have tried to determine what I need then go to PCPartsPicker to see if I can find compatible ones.

I was disappointed that MC was not carrying more so I could complete the build myself and be sure it is compatible. I guess my lack of experience with hardware is showing now.

 

If interested in replying now and then it might be fun and educational. I could have a build on hand unless going to MC to complete would be advisable. I may be wrong but think a walk in is easier/safer than an online purchase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ok bear with me, this is going to be a long reply to answer each of your queries individually. :D

(needed to split it into 3 posts because of the number of quotes.)

from your parts list, seeing how you don't really need a hard drive for storage (320GB not really worth bothering with in my opinion.) i'd save myself about $150 by getting the 4690 (not the k, k means it can be overclocked easily because it has an unlocked multiplier), getting a h97 motherboard and not z97 one, not getting the hard drive and then putting some of those savings towards getting a 500GB ssd instead of the 250GB drive. saving you about $100 total so far.
 
if you want i can visit the micro center site and source a build from there for you if you like.
 
actually if you stick to using the pcpartpicker site for all components then take your final list to your micro center in person even if they don't usually hold stock or deal with a certain manufacturer for the part you have on the list you may find they will buy it in special for you anyway, if not they will at least recommend a part that is compatible that they do stock.
 

Bluetooth I could get after unless the board has it. I hope I chose a board that gives ample on board audio and graphics. My current Del XPS 8300 has NVidia video and  audio cards so i don't know if not getting cards is a mistake.

no the board doesn't have blutooth capabilities so would need to buy a dongle later and unless your an audiophile then the onboard sound will be good enough so no need for an extra sound card, as to a video card always worth while in my opinion but not really needed if you don't play games, and you've already said you don't need one.

The CPU I chose has its own cooler

good so no need to buy one.

I'd like hyper threading but I have done without and it is not crucial. Maybe this processor has it.

no, i5's do not have hyperthreading so that cpu doesn't have it.

I don't think I need WiFi as my router generates a WiFi signal and I am connected to the ISP by an ethernet cable.

right wifi is needed by both devices pc and router IF you are going to connect wirelessly, you said your not and are using an ethernet cable so no you don't need wifi capabilities.

Network confuses me. Do I need an NIC or does the Ethernet do that?

same thing really, so yes the nic/ethernet is built into the motherboard so you don't need to buy a separate device.

Is PCI for the graphics card?

pci is an old type of connection (slot) built into the motherboard used for communication with the cpu, doubt you'll have one, the newer pci-e slot though, yes it will have one, usually used for graphics cards but can install other devices into them. eg i have a tv card in one of my pci-e slots.

The PSU seems to have enough watts but I did not know if that is the only consideration.

what your really looking at besides the "watts" is the amps on it's 12v rail, but don't worry to much about it and just use the site linked to in other topic to check if your choice of psu is a good one, like i said stick to about 500 watts 80+ bronze and you'll have more than enough power for your system.

I thought b/c I only show 38 GB of a TB used on my C: currently, a 250 GB SSD would be enough along with a HHD.

like i said earlier i wouldn't bother getting a 250GB ssd and 320GB hard drive, and just get a 500GB ssd seeing how you don't need the storage. personally i wouldn't buy a storage drive less than 1TB just not cost effective otherwise in my opinion.

Besides these 4 I could either make a list here to bring, or go to Micro center and ask for help selecting whatever else I need.

you need a psu, ram, dvd-rw drive, and case minimum to complete the build.

I don't know if i have to paste the CPU.

no the thermal paste will already be applied to the heat sink, but it might be worth buying a small amount in case you need to remove and replace the heatsink, you will also need some cleaning fluid to clean both the contact areas before reapplying the new paste.

:popcorn:

One issue that confuses me is what cables the PSU provides for my build and if I need to get more.

no i don't foresee you having a problem there when you decide on a psu, the psu will have the needed power cables with multi connections on each, so there's lots of spare power connections usually. only time i'd say the average psu may fall short on power connections is if your running multiple gpu's.
 
cables you may or may not need usually, are the sata data cables, depending on what comes with the motherboard, for example, 1xdvd, 1xssd, 1xhd so you need 3 sata cables, does the motherboard supply 3?

I still use 2 bays for optical use; CD-RW - DVD.

do you need 2 drives? or will 1 dvd-rw drive do? don't forget the dvd-rw drive can read and write to both cd's and dvd's.

My printer allows for faxing which I do a lot and I think an inexpensive RJ45? or phone port would let me fax with Windows?

don't see a need for anything here, your printer faxes and is connected to your land line, the pc and printer communicate with each other via the router so everything should just be built into the software that came with the printer that you installed onto the pc.

It would be nice to have a couple or 3 USB 3.0 along with a couple of USB 2.0 ports

the motherboard will have them built into the back panel and any the case comes with will then be connected by cable to the motherboard headers for them during the build. you don't need usb 2 because you can connect any usb2 device you have to the usb3 ports, motherboards and cases come with both sometimes just because usb2 is cheaper to make because they have less wires inside.

I like a window and a case that opens on the side.

with a window on the side the case will open in exactly the same way as most other cases, ie. sides slide back and off after removing a couple of screws or sliding a switch on the back of the case.

I found no cases or memory from Micro Center  on the PC Parts Picker site.

not a problem just choose parts they do have or like i said take your parts list in and see if they will order them special for you.

I would like more than 8 GB RAM although I realize 8 would suffice. It seems what ever RAM you choose is out dated in a year or two.

a lot of people think because a pc says it's using nearly all their ram they need more, they don't, they just don't understand how their ram is being used in the first place. i have 6GB and i can promise you that is plenty for nearly everyone. if you want 16GB then yes buy 16GB but if you can only afford 8GB then you won't find any problems using just 8GB. personally 2x4GB sticks was what i put in my daughters new machine.

I would buy Win 10 Pro 64 bit for $200.00 although home would do and no OEM. I dislike that term.

no idea why you have a problem with oem, that's all i'd buy be that pro, home or any other versions of windows, but your choice so buy whatever version you want.

I need cables, a new mouse and key board as mine are 4 1/2 years old and function but are weary.

no idea what new cables you think you'll need, but a combo mouse and keyboard is cheap enough usually.
eg. a fancy backlit one :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129030
 
:popcorn:

So, using Speecy for reference I have tried to determine what I need then go to PCPartsPicker to see if I can find compatible ones.
I was disappointed that MC was not carrying more so I could complete the build myself and be sure it is compatible. I guess my lack of experience with hardware is showing now.

try looking on the mc site finding a part and then seeing if partspicker shows it (probably will) so you can check compatibility.
or as i've said before stick to parts picker then take your list to mc store and see if they'll buy any parts they don't stock in for you.

 

If interested in replying now and then it might be fun and educational. I could have a build on hand unless going to MC to complete would be advisable. I may be wrong but think a walk in is easier/safer than an online purchase.

no i wouldn't say it's safer, easier. yes maybe returning any thing faulty would definitely be easier just take it to the store but personally all my pc parts buying is done long distance over the net because i find that is the easier way for me personally.
 
ok think i've answered everything but keep asking away if you need more info.

 

:popcorn:

terri

I have a folder with your information for reference.

I am glad I asked what I did.

I have a better understanding of where to apply the $ especially the SSD in relation to the motherboard - I have learned I cannot learn it all in a day. .

I am going to go to Micro center and become a familiar face. i will bring a note pad and jot down what is significant i wish to pursue.

I have two questions;

1- do you think I will have a better PC for the $ if either I or MC do the building over say a Dell with similar features?

If there is an issue I am dealing with one company but I am leery of what is in the Dell and what the price mark up is.

 

2- What do you think would be a ballpark figure to build the more reasonable i5 desktop  - just a guesstimate?

 

I have not lost my zeal to put one together. if I take notes, run ides by you and nudge them, MC, for advice I think I can get it done.

I have to get my biopsy again this week and hen I can better plan as I explained before.

 

Most people would not have taken the time you did to help me organize my thoughts and your time and efforet are greatly appreciated.

I'll be in touch,

TY

Peter

 

1- do you think I will have a better PC for the $ if either I or MC do the building over say a Dell with similar features?

If there is an issue I am dealing with one company but I am leery of what is in the Dell and what the price mark up is.

to be honest peter no i don't think you'll have a "better" pc for the $ in fact i'd say dell would be cheaper because they buy in bulk so parts cost them less, they can then still make a profit selling a pc at a cheaper price for a same spec machine than you could build it for.

 

don't forget your talking about spending $200 on the os alone.

 

main difference i'd say is that when you build it yourself you know the parts are all the best for your needs/wants, eg. 500 GB ssd instead of 1TB hard drive that would probably be in a standard i5 dell plus you have the satisfaction of saying you built it yourself.

 

eg. you can buy this for $480,

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd?oc=fddorp201hw10&l=en&s=dhs

it comes with windows 10, wifi, bluetooth, 8 in 1 card reader, and the cpu is only marginally slower than your 4690 choice.

 

 

2- What do you think would be a ballpark figure to build the more reasonable i5 desktop  - just a guesstimate?

 

 let me go visit pcpartpicker and see what i can do, probably under/around the $500 mark for the i5-4690 but of course not including the os.

 

i'll add the link to the build at the bottom of this post later.

 

:popcorn:

I watched videos and they seem to test it before completely building it to save time and trouble if it does not work. That brings up a good question. What if it does not work and I have assembled it. I have no way to test components; would it be trial and error?

I understand that i would likely pay more due to the additional cost of the OS.  It seems it boils down to whether you like to do it yourself or not.

One side,  I get the best parts for my needs and the other side I get more for the buck as they buy bulk. 

Dealing with one company for the three years you are under warranty is a good consideration as they have to "fix" it.

I still think most people in the know opt for building their own for the tailored parts and the satisfaction.

Having MC build it would accomplish the same structurally but at a cost of $140.

 

It boils down to preference as the variables are so close.

 

Oh, in reference to OEM it is my belief that it means it can only be used tin the PC you buy unlike other non OEM parts you can switch out.

 

I noticed you mention WiFi. isn't the use for that to have your gateway or modem/router away from the PC and instead of ethernet connecting directly to the PC,  you connect to the PC wirelessly? I cannot image that scenario but I guess some people use it. It must be less secure.

I enjoy your tutorials and hope the feeling is reciprocal.

 

i'll add the link to the build at the bottom of this post later.

sorry peter got side tracked and forgot it, do you still need/want me to post the cheapest i5 system i'd build?

 

 

I watched videos and they seem to test it before completely building it to save time and trouble if it does not work. That brings up a good question. What if it does not work and I have assembled it. I have no way to test components; would it be trial and error?

if things don't work with a bare minimum parts list checked outside the pc it, can only be 1 of 4 or 5 things, so yes testing by swapping parts is the usual route.

if it's not a psu, cpu or motherboard problem, the motherboard will give you beeps (if motherboard speaker connected, this is not the same as a speaker you use to listen to media playback.) pointing to where the problem is and it can only be the ram or graphics card if fitted because nothing else is connected yet.

if it doesn't power up then the problem is psu, cpu, motherboard, so you'd double check all power cables are connected correctly, including cpu fan is on the correct header, if everything correctly plugged in then you'd test the psu first on it's own to see if it powers up a fan say (measure voltages if you have a multimeter.), if it does then it's usually a sign the psu works ok (may still be a problem there though.) so can only be a motherboard or cpu problem, so you'd return the motherboard and try the cpu in the new board if still no power up, you return the cpu and try that in the new motherboard, or return both at the same time. so yes trial and error testing for those of us without professional testing equipment.

 

 

I noticed you mention WiFi. isn't the use for that to have your gateway or modem/router away from the PC and instead of ethernet connecting directly to the PC,  you connect to the PC wirelessly? I cannot image that scenario

it's exactly the same as using a laptop connected by wifi, unless you also connect your laptop by cable. :D

 

two of my pc's connect by wire and 1 uses wifi to connect to my modem/router and thus the internet (at the moment there are 7 pc's in my home.) .

 

:popcorn:

I have it all and although I have a multi meter, I am sure of my capabilities with these PC parts.I connect my desktop to my router  via an Ethernet cable and the laptop runs wirelessly as does my phone, when home.

 

If you have the time and it is not an imposition I would appreciate a build with i5 b/ by now we have established the features to be included. That way no matter which way I turn I would have the example and relative cost.

 

I think it is a board  with graphics and sound on board + NIC card , CPU with its own cooler, 8 GB RAM, a case with side panel and window, PSU - 80 + gold + 650 watt or more.  I know i have forgotten something. 

The hard part for a novice is selecting the best part for the best amount of money. i don't know about relative specs.

 

Absolutely no hurry for this and don't think I don't appreciate all you have done.

That is really thoughtful of you, terry.

I saw where some may need a BIOS update is that the case here?

I want to keep this so I copied the link and pasted it in Word in my docs. i hope they don't ever remove it.

is there a safer way to save it like prtscrn or something?

My biopsy is the 17th and a few days after that I will know what direction I am heading in; I will let you know about my PC plans. I can't thank you enough.

Others reading this will also benefit from all the wotk you have done.

Peter  :wavey:

 

I saw where some may need a BIOS update is that the case here?

bios/uefi updates are usually for fixing a bios/uefi problem or for compatibility with newer hardware.

 

all motherboards will usually have a few bios/uefi updates available but whether you will need to install them is another thing altogether.

 

for example the motherboard in last parts list is this one :- http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4731#ov

bios updates available :- http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4731#bios

 

no idea what bios version will be installed on it to start with, it may well come with the latest which is F8, but it may come with F6 installed.

so even if it has the F6 bios there is no reason why you'd need to update it to the F8 bios because all the F8 bios fixes is "Update CPU microcode for win10 support with Pentium AE" so seeing how you'll have an i5 and not a pentium cpu installed why update to F8.

 

no idea how long they keep the parts lists, so upto you how you might want to save them, screen picture or saving to favourites in your account, typing the list into word doc etc. etc. use whatever method you find easiest and gives you peace of mind.

 

wishing you all the best with your health issues and take care of yourself. :thumbup:

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI