This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

dont know whats going on [Solved]

25 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

no I did not notice anything different. I was looking around and went into services where that high svchost.exe is. and I saw what it was running and when I stopped the windows update service the cpu went down to 0. restarted it up and back to 50%. tried all the other ones that were highlighted but the update one is the only one draining the cpu

Hi Frank, 
 
There definitely appears to be a connection between your high CPU usage and issues with Windows Update. This is also consistent with what I've read on the matter. Microsoft released an update that addresses this particular issue. Let's first check if it's already installed or not. 
 
Before doing so, reverse the steps taken to enter a clean boot. 
 
STEP 1
[external image: F0hoanr.png] Normal Boot

  • Press the Windows Key [external image: pdKOQKY.png] + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type msconfig and click OK.
  • If prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
  • In the General tab, click Normal Startup, followed by OK.
  • When prompted, click Restart and boot normally into Windows.
     

STEP 2
[external image: MgeHyNE.png] Check Update Presence

  • Press the Windows Key [external image: pdKOQKY.png] + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type Notepad and click OK.
  • Copy the bold lines below and paste into the Notepad document:

    wmic qfe get hotfixid | findstr /i /c:"KB3102810" > "%userprofile%\desktop\results.txt"
    del %0

     
  • Click Format. Ensure Wordwrap is unchecked. 
  • Click File, Save As and name the file check.bat. 
  • Select All Files as the Save as type. Save the file to your Desktop. 
  • Locate check.bat [external image: lmRDSkT.png] on your Desktop. Right-click the file and click [external image: AVOiBNU.jpg] Run as administrator.
  • Upon completion, a file (results.txt) will be created on your Desktop. Copy the contents of the file and paste in your next reply. If the file is empty, please let me know.

Hello Frank,
 
That update is already installed. Please do the following. Let me know if you notice a difference after completing Step 2, and whether you are able to successfully check for Windows Updates.
 
STEP 1
[external image: MgeHyNE.png] Check Update Presence

  • Press the Windows Key [external image: pdKOQKY.png] + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type Notepad and click OK.
  • Copy the bold lines below and paste into the Notepad document:

    wmic qfe get hotfixid | findstr /i /c:"KB3050265" > "%userprofile%\desktop\results.txt"
    del %0

     
  • Click Format. Ensure Wordwrap is unchecked. 
  • Click File, Save As and name the file check.bat. 
  • Select All Files as the Save as type. Save the file to your Desktop. 
  • Locate check.bat [external image: lmRDSkT.png] on your Desktop. Right-click the file and click [external image: AVOiBNU.jpg] Run as administrator.
  • Upon completion, a file (results.txt) will be created on your Desktop. Copy the contents of the file and paste in your next reply. If the file is empty, please let me know.
     

STEP 2
[external image: MgeHyNE.png] SoftwareDistribution Rename

  • Click the Windows Start [external image: 29Fou9c.jpg] button. Type CMD in the search bar, right-click CMD and click [external image: AVOiBNU.jpg] Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste (right-click the Window + Paste) each bold line below one at a time into the Command Prompt. Press Enter on your keyboard after each line.

    net stop wuauserv
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download DL.bak
    ren %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DS.bak
    net start wuauserv

Hi Adam, Iran the check update presence and it did not find anything, also ran the software distribution rename and im checking for updates now. Funny thing is when I go to updates in most recent check for updates; never —–      updates were installed never ——- and I do not have a cancel button . when I view review your update history it says you have not tried to install any updates for your computer. when I click on remove an update, see installed updates I see I have 378 updates last ones were installed on 2-12-16 I am going to let the checking for updates run for a hour and see it it does anything. as its checking my hd light is not doing anything.. the only I could cancel it is going to task manager applications and end task. then I have to go to services and stop the update service and my cpu goes down to 0 or 3 but very low not 50%

Hi Frank, 

Thank you for your patience thus far. 
I'm going to ask for a fresh set of eyes to look over your topic, and see if we can come up with a resolution for your issue. 
 
For now, let's get a fresh SFC scan. 
 
[external image: MgeHyNE.png] SFC /Scannow

  • Press the Windows Key [external image: pdKOQKY.png] + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type Notepad and click OK.
  • Copy the bold lines below and paste into the Notepad document:

    sfc /scannow
    timeout /t 120 /nobreak
    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\desktop\CBS.txt"
    del %0

     
  • Click Format. Ensure Wordwrap is unchecked. 
  • Click File, Save As and name the file sfcscannow.bat. 
  • Select All Files as the Save as type. Save the file to your Desktop. 
  • Locate sfcscannow.bat [external image: lmRDSkT.png] on your Desktop. Right-click the file and click [external image: AVOiBNU.jpg] Run as administrator.
  • Upon completion, a file (CBS.txt) will be created on your Desktop. Attach this file in your next reply.
  • Note: If the file is too large to attach, upload to a service such as Dropbox, One Drive or SendSpace and provide a direct download link in your next reply.

Hi Adam, Good news bad news. Last night I let it run on checking for updates and at 1:00 am or so it found then . problem now is it wont let me download then . I picked the smallest one and all its doing is downloading but nothing is happening. let it run for an hour same thing 0% downloaded. Iwill run the scan you asked for and post results

Hi Adam, Good news I got to download and install almost 50 updates. I think something in the update services got messed up. So far so good . I am wondering if you could give me the default settings for windows 7 basis services. or just the update service and the bits service. Thanks… Oh and I ran that scan and saved it to dropbox and I keep getting a 400 error is there a way I could copy my services and save them to my notepad and post them here so u could have a look at them?

Hi Frank, 
 
You can upload CBS.txt to SendSpace and provide a direct download link. 
 
Let's take a look at some of your Windows services using the following tool. 
 
[external image: gxJsKn9.png] Farbar Service Scanner (FSS)

  • Please download FSS and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Right-Click FSS.exe and select [external image: AVOiBNU.jpg] Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • Ensure the following items are checked:
    • [external image: H5woOOZ.png]
    • [external image: TA6BLVm.png]
    • [external image: e1PK1mD.png]
    • [external image: mQdJltp.png]
    • [external image: poNGKHr.png]
    • [external image: 7wCHunX.png]
    • [external image: wU6iCZ5.png]
  • Click [external image: YMLYaf6.png].
  • A log (FSS.txt) will be created on your Desktop. Copy the contents of the log and paste in your next reply.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI