This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

ASUS TOWER RUNNING SLOW [Solved]

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

No Malware that I can see and the prior programs removed some garbage.

 

You have a lot going on with Internet Explorer as far as add ons, plugins etc.  Its pretty well bogged down. We can try setting it back to company defaults and see if it helps speed up the browser. 

 

  • Open IE
  • Go to Tools> Internet Options > Advanced Tab
  • Reset Internet Explorer Setting
  • Reset
  • This will take a few seconds
  • Close IE and then reopen it and see if it helped
  • Hi

     

    I went up stairs and reset IE like you said, rebooted then brought up his IE.  I felt it moved much faster, but I don't use that machine, so I called to him to come up and do some surfing on ebay.  He was happy with the noticeable improvement in speed at which ebay now moves.  He did say it was faster, but still hangs up and slows down at bringing up some pages.  He just said, it is slow when he uses the back arrow key to move back pages, altho it is an improvement.  He feels it still needs improvement.

     

    Is there anything else we can do?  I box came up to disable add ons, so I clicked on it and disabled a virtual keyboard on Kaspersky.  Please let me know if there is any more tweeking we can do.  Thank you so very much for your help!!!

     

    dar

    Good Morning!

     

    I'm not sure about firefox if it gave him trouble, probably did as I recall, because I asked him to give it a try.  Is there a reset on firefox too?  We have chrome, but don't use it unless all else fails.

     

    He won't be surfing till this afternoon, so I will let you know how it goes on firefox.  I"m very glad you didn't find any malaware, adware or trojans, etc.  I guess Kaspersky is doing a good job!!  And I've drilled in to him to not click on anything questionable, and if something pops up, do NOT click on the X to close, as that launches trojans, viruses, etc.  So he is hearing me.  But things always manage to sneak in.

     

    Will let you know later in the day!

     

    dar

    Morning Darlene,

     

    I use Chome most of the time, I really like it but thats me :)

     

    • Click the Chrome menu [external image: Clipboard01_zps2e55f676.jpg]on the browser toolbar.
    • Select Settings.
    • Scroll down to Show advanced settings…
    • Down on the bottom you will see an option for RESET BROWSER SETTINGS
    • Click on it and it will set Chome back to defaults
    •  
       
       
      • Open Firefox
      • Click on Help > Troubleshooting Information > Reset Firefox to its default state
      • ok - he's not home yet, he's out riding his quad with his buddies. I reset firefox up here as well.  will let you know after he surfs tonight.

         

        dar

        hi

         

        Ok- I have reset his firefox and he is surfing rather happily now.

         

        Good to know he had no viruses, etc.  He says it's doing much better.  Sometimes on ebay it does hang up and act slow.  other sites are ok - it must be ebays servers….but he doesn't buy into that.

         

        Thank you so very much for helping!  I appreciate it!

         

        dar

        He may be going into ebay at a busy time, have him wait a few hours and try it again .   Glad we got you back up and running .

         

         

        Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.
        • Click on the Uninstall button.
        • Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
        • Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.
        •  
           
          ==========================================================
           
           
          Please download DelFix and save the file to your Desktop.
           
          [external image: DelFix_zps139e2ea1.jpg]
           
          • Windows XP Double Click DelFix.exe to run the program. 
          • Windows Vista > Win 7 > Win 8 Right Click on DelFix.exe and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR 
          • Checkmark " Remove Disinfection Tools"
          • Click the Run button
          •  
            This will remove the specialised tools we used to clean your system. Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually
             
             
             
            ==========================================================
             
             
             
            So How did I get infected in the first place
             
             
            Safe Surfn
            Ken

            I may have spoke too soon.  I came home from work and he has told me his pc is locking up again.  He tells me he was only online 20 minutes, and about the last 10 min he was on eBay Christmas shopping and it locked up.  He could not get IE to close. So I brought up the Task Manager and did it for him.

            Is there anything else we can do??

             

            dar

            It appears other people are having this issue also

             

             

            .

             
             
            Open notepad , Go to Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> Notepad.
            Please copy the entire contents Inside of the code box below beginning with START and ending with END
            (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy. Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste).
            Name the file Fixlist, Save it to your desktop where you have FRST/FRST64 or the fix wont work, . Then open up FRST/FRST64 and click on FIX (Not Scan) It won't take long, after your computer reboots you will find a FIXLOG.TXT on your desktop, post it please
             
            Start
            CloseProcesses:
            CreateRestorePoint: 
            Hosts:
            CMD: ipconfig /flushdns
            EmptyTemp:
            End
            
             
            NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
             
             
            Open IE and on the General Tab under Browsing History click on Delete, this will remove all your cookies 
             
            Then try accessing eBay by typing in eBay.com into your browser in lieu of using a bookmark

            Will do!

             

            Not sure if I can get this done tonight or not….if not tonight will do tomorrow night..depends on his "intense surfing"…LOL

             

            If he gets mad at it, he will stop and come down huffing and puffing……light a candle for me… :wacko:

             

            dar

            Another thing to try is to access eBay on another computer in your house if you have one and see if it locks up

             

            Whats your setup… Cable Modem….Router ?????

            Router - we have fios

             

            As for Ebay, when he uses his laptop in his recliner, it works fine - no hang ups.  That laptop is a toshiba, and it's abaout 1 yr old.  the tower is about 4-5 yrs old I think.  He is the only user on this tower, I do not use it. I have my own laptop.

             

            Here is the fixlog.txt file:

             

            Fix result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) Version:07-11-2015
            Ran by [removed] (2015-11-11 19:34:07) Run:1
            Running from C:\Users\[removed]\Desktop
            [removed] Boot Mode: Normal
            ==============================================

            fixlist content:
            *****************


            Start
            CloseProcesses:
            CreateRestorePoint:
            Hosts:
            CMD: ipconfig /flushdns
            EmptyTemp:
            End


            *****************

            Processes closed successfully.
            Restore point was successfully created.
            "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts" => Could not move.
            Could not restore Hosts.

            =========  ipconfig /flushdns =========


            Windows IP Configuration

            Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

            ========= End of CMD: =========

            EmptyTemp: => 497.3 MB temporary data Removed.


            The system needed a reboot.

            ==== End of Fixlog 19:35:11 ====

            He won't be up here the rest of the night.  I will have to let you know how he does     with this after work tomorrow.

             

            cya after dinner!!

             

            dar

            Just unplug your router for about 5 minutes, it wont reset it but it will flush out a lot of saved address and such, do the same thing with your modem. After 5 min plug them all back in and try eBay again on his tower

            Ask AI

            AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

            Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI