This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Have a Locking Problem preventing my Repairing Win8 Pro

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi , I'm back with a new problem…

As some of you know I'm pleased as punch with my new Windows 8.1 OS…

It is almost fully updated..

One thing I liked about WinXP Pro & being on a SLOW Dial-up was that at 5KBsps , I managed to stop MOST viruses/malware from getting ahold of my computer & creating havoc..
Now that I have a great OS & a new ISP at about 1.5MBps , I got bit by a tricky virus/malware..
Could not get off the site quick enough.
I ran Avast & MBAM in Safe Mode..
That helped somewhat…
The computer is experiencing some strange behavior…
It has some files opening up very slow..
I'm being sent to websites (Albeit LEGAL websites) that apparently are miscued..
My system Restore only holds 3 restore dates…
I tried that & have the same symptoms…
I have the install USB with the ISO image on it & tried to do it that way…
I must tell you that I have unknowingly installed & used some programs/files that I later found out were not compatible with Win8/8.1 Pro..
I may have done some damage to the registry  by doing that…
Before this problem , I used to be able to go to a MS website & see if the program/file is/are compatible with Win8/8.1…
Now I can NOT find it even with the link that I saved…
I tried using the USB ISO image to repair Win8/8.1…
I managed to find my way to repair it WITHOUT losing my currently installed files , photos etc…
However , at the point where it could do that I get a message that says something like:
Windows can not repair the ? because the ? is locked & can not be accessed …
It suggests I unlock it …
After all this , my question is "How do I unlock this so I can repair my OS & save my files , etc ???
I would like to fix this in the event it should happen again..
BTW:..
As a possible cause , I turned OFF ALL Avast Shields to no avail..
PLEASE help..
THANK you VERY MUCH for you anticipated help & reply…

Later..Ron.M… B) ..

Hi Ron.M,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.

if you think that a virus is at the bottom of this then it would be wise to post your logs in the Virus and Spyware removal forum, so that one of the malware removal experts can take a look at what is going on inside your computer…. if necessary they will provide you with "step by step" directions on how best to deal with it.

 

Here's the link.

 

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388

 

All best

paws

paws;…

Thank you for the advice….
Allow me to give you an update;…

I suspected that I may have gotten a virus or malware of some sort…

So I went into Safe Mode & ran a scan with MBAM…
Only found a few PUP infections that I promptly eliminated…
I then downloaded Bitdefender which I though would scan & remove anything….
It is only an anti-virus …
Does nothing…
I also downloaded the Sophos Virus Removal Tool…(128MBs)..
I ran a scan (TWO HOURS !!!)
Lo & behold , it found the problem !!!
I have a "Trojan;Ransomware" infection !!!
Sophos could not remove it !!!
I have tried with NO success to find a Virus Removal Tool of any sort that would get rid of that NASTY Trojan…
You can bet your bippy I'll be going to the malware removal experts here…
I will be taking & modifying some of this post & my original post there…
THANK you for your help..
It IS much appreciated….


Have a GREAT day & weekend… :) ….


Later..Ron.M… B) …



 

Hi Ron.M,

I saw your post in the Virus and spyware removal forum.

I also saw that Satchfan is assisting you with the "clean up" so to speak.

 

You couldn't be in better hands…

All best

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI