This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WinPe 5

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In Macrium Reflect there is a choice to re-deploy to another device. is this the choice to use if you are installing a new hard drive. Is there anything you can tell me about it?

I ask because I do not have a subscription to Reflect so cannot post.

Thank you, Rich for both replies. The first is clear now and the second I will study.
I wonder if you need re-deploy when you install a new hard drive or will Macrium install the old operating system on the new hard drive without it?
I appreciate information,
Peter

I imaged ok with Reflect  but the previous image is now gone.  I am wondering what I could have done to lose the previous image? 

When it says it will "overwrite" during the creation of the image does that mean all previous images will be gone?

I don't see an alternative to that prompt.

If you want to save multiple backups, use multiple folder to save to.

 

Re-deploy is for restoring to a different computer, not hard drive, where there are differences in hardware other than the hard drive.

I'm wavering between AOMEI BackUpper and Macrium at the moment. Both are said to work with Windows 10.

Trying AOMEI now. Will decide soon. Key will be which can be scheduled.

 

Dumping Acronis finally. Sick of having to buy a new version every time I change OSes.

You have more intricate needs, like scheduling, than I do, so I do not blame you for seeking a comprehensive program.

The fact that Acronis was always in my pocket made me leave them in 2010.

 

I am also looking around because Macrium has changed as far as I am concerned. When I used to image to the same location it would just make another  image without removing the previous one/ones. I never had to create a new folder.

 

I will either adapt or change. I image after creating a clean OS . Then periodically, due to updates, image back the early one and update it. I have flash drives to hold the data I would not want in the pc-2 of them in case one breaks. Crude but functional.

 

It is like the service and weapons -the fewer moving parts, the less chance of malfunction, so I avoid scheduling.

 

I will let you know if I find a program that fits your more demanding needs, but reasonably priced.

 

P.S. I just found this if it makes any difference as far as AOMEI BackUpper is concerned.  

>>No user editable options for reinstating the MBR or not.<<

 

It seems Macrium is hard to beat. I'll just have to adjust to changes as it does work well.

AOMEI does have scheduling capability, starting to look at it now. Not a necessity, just nice to have as I'm used to doing weekly backups and the occasional manual one if I make significant changes.

 

Got to have something to do now that Win 10 is installed on all my computers except the web server which will stay at Win 7 for a good long time.

I will practice with Macrium although it is the free version. Let's hope your imaging program works out. From what I read, Macrium is a strong contender and I feel soon there will be no free version.

 

If you could, briefly tell what it means when you say  you have your own web server. I think of Google etc. when you mention servers.

Win 7 is stable but I have no idea how it relates to a server. I know it is slow on my pc compared with 8.1.

 

Do you buy a server and have the knowledge to operate it to send and receive information?

I have a computer sitting under my desk running Windows 7 Pro X64, Apache and MySql and PHP.

It works like any web site you go to.

I wrote all the code and tailored it for my family so we can share pictures, messages, music, etc.

Had it running in one form or another since 2001.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI