This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Can only connect locally

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello,

 

I have been working with Ken454 in the malware et al forum.  We seem to have cleared much of the huge mess of a laptop that we were working on.  However, from day post one, I have never been able to connect the laptop more than locally.  It states excellent strength but no internet only local access.  I have many other devices throughout the house that connect fine so it is not the connection itself.  Please note, this laptop was in very bad shape when we began, but have cleared many many issues.  I am working on this laptop as a courtesy for a friend and quickly established it was beyond my aid. (as a last resort I am awaiting reply to see if we shouldn't just restore/reinstall windows from the owners but want to try not to do that for them.)  Ken454 has been very helpful but feels I should link our post here so that we can get the laptop up and connected to finish the cleaning up of the malware etc.

 

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=129771

 

HP Pavillion dv-7-1232nr

AMD Turion X2

Windows Vista

Windows Antivirus (currently outdated due to connection issues)

Malwarebytes (also unfortunately outdated)

4GB Ram

 

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

I confess, I did not completely read through that other thread so forgive me if these questions were asked and answered there. I also confess I am not sure I can help, I am just trying to picture the problem in my own head better.

You say this notebook connects locally but cannot access the Internet. Was that a problem they reported before they brought it to you? That is, can they connect to the Internet from another network? I realize you said other computers on your network access the Internet with no problems, but your router can be blocking just that notebook or allowing just yours.

And are you sure it is connecting to your local network? Can you see this notebook from other computers or from your router's Admin menu list of connected devices?

Thank you for taking a look.  Here's what I know.

 

Nothing was specified in regard to a problem.  They just said it wasn't working right and wanted me to give it a tune up.

 

Can't tell if my router is blocking. (Could you assist with that?)

From affected notebook it says connected strength excellent locally. When you look at it from the network window, the map shows you pic of computer connected to unidentified network (in parantheses my network name) then a red x on the connection from the network to the internet.  When I try to view all devices connected to the network nothing but that laptop shows.

 

On my laptop, I can see their laptop, mine, the desktop in the house, tv, printer etc connected.

 

I don't know if that helps or muddles the situation any more.

Have you checked to make sure that static IP addresses have not been assigned to the laptop?

 

Try this:

 

  1. Step 1: Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center, then in the left-hand column, click Manage network connections.
  2. Step 2: Right-click Local Area Connections and select Properties.
    Note: The name of this connection may vary if you have changed it or if you have previously connected to other wired Ethernet networks.
  3. Step 3: Windows Vista might present you with a User Account Control window asking you for permission to continue. Click Continue to move on. A Local Area Connection Properties window will open.
  4. Step 4: In the Connection Properties window, under This connection uses the following items:, select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4), then click Properties and make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.

If no joy with this… Do you know how to check settings in your router?

yes Tomk that was done in the other forum.

 

yes I can log into my router page … what will I need to look for there?

See if there is a setting that either blocks certain computers, or only allows certain computers.  This is often called Access Control.  Most routers allow you to either block access to the internet or only allow specific computers to access the internet by filtering using IP addresses or MAC addresses.  Obviously, if your computer is on the block list… it won't be able to access, or if it is set to only allow listed devices… you would be blocked if it isn't listed.

 

It also might be helpful if you posted the make and model of your router.  That might help someone to help you.

I really have nothing to add here as Tom addressed everything nicely.

This is sounding like a firewall issue to me, but it could still be your router. Checking as Tom noted may help.

My router is a Linksys 3200.

 

The parental controls are disabled.

Restrict Internet access on no devices listed (blanks box).

Internet access is listed as always on.

And No URLS blocked.

Sorry for the delay.. I am currently looking for a cable.  I know I have several around here, but all I am coming up with are hdmi cables.  I do have the go ahead to restore (reimage?) the laptop.  Would that be the route to take at this point or should I continue to find a cable and try a wired connection?  Thanks for all your patience.

Perhaps Digerati will chime back in with better information… but if it isn't a software problem, then I think the issue will still exist when you re-image.

 

My thought for trying the cable was to try to ascertain if the problem is confined to wi-fi.  Because you can see the computer with your other devices… I'm expecting  the problem to still exist with the cable.

 

Do you not have your desktop connected with a cable?  You would just need to borrow it for a few minutes and then hook it back up.

 

 

Another crazy thought… but does the owner live close?  Have you tried seeing if it connects when it is "home"?

What about just resetting everything and see what happens

 

1. Turn off your computer
2. Turn off your  router by unplugging the power cord on the back of the unit
3. Turn off your Cable / DSL modem by unplugging the power cord on the back of the unit
 
        Leave everything off for about 5 minutes, this lets it all reset 
 
Then
 
1. Plug in your Cable / DSL modem and wait until all the lights come back on
2. Now do the same thing with your router
3. Turn your computer back on and see if it made a difference

Sorry Ken,

 

One of the first things I did.  In fact I have done it several times.  I will try to find a cable in the am and see what happens. In the meantime I will prep the laptop for reinstall just in case.

What about taking it to a local place like Panera Bread or place near you that offers free wi fi and see if it hooks up there ok

OK sorry for the delay.  Had out of town guests and just today decided to unplug the smart tv and use that ethernet cable (as I was having no luck finding my others).  I AM able to connect through the router via the cable. So not my router blocking it right?..  I haven't been able to take it anywhere else to try wirelessly elsewhere yet. 

 

While attached and connected I did update the antivirus and run a full scan. Clean.  Updated Malwarebytes and reran.  Found and removed 33 more items.  I deleted the wireless connections from my house and rebooted. Unplugged the ethernet cable and allowed the laptop to locate the connection.  It still only connects locally.

 

Oh boy … Now what?  :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI