This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Movin on up to Win10 Need help...

34 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ztruker;….
Got the ClassicShellSet…
Works great & I like it…
THANKS…

I use my computer for online ventures & not game playing…
"E" for effort…

Steps 6 & 7 showed how to get the 350 MB reserve partition for the Boot Manager code (??)..
I opted for that since it seemed like a good idea…
The "format" I refered to has to do with the formatting process that you "see" happening with WinXP during install..
Apparently that process was also changed since WinXP..



 

How to Enable or Disable New Startup Options Boot Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1

That is way over my head…
Another "E" for effort…



 

 

Windows key + C.
Settings
Power
Hold shift key and click RESTART.
Click on Advanced Options then Startup Settings.
Click Restart and you have almost the full advanced Boot Options menu like XP, Vista or Win 7.

 

 

 


With WinXP , I hit F8 while booting up…
Is the above quoted procedure something I could do with Win8 & expect to get Safe Mode ???

 

Thanks…


Later…Ron.M…. B) ….

Step 8:

 

If you have more than one partition for a disk # (hard drive) listed and want to get rid of all of them to make that disk # one single partition drive again, then select a partition with that disk # and click on the Delete option for each partition with the same disk # until there is only one "unallocated

space" with that disk # left as in the screenshot below.

 

 

That's what you should have done and what I recommended several times I believe. Delete all partition on the drive, do not create any new ones, do not format anything, just click Next. the installed will create and format the partitions it needs.
 

 

With WinXP , I hit F8 while booting up…
Is the above quoted procedure something I could do with Win8 & expect to get Safe Mode ???

 

 

As I said, and you have almost the full advanced Boot Options menu (Safe Mode is one of the choices) like XP, Vista or Win 7.

 

The first link: How to Enable or Disable New Startup Options Boot Menu in Windows 8 and 8.1

gives you other ways to get to Safe Mode.

Everyone;….

Update;…
 


Modem is acting squirrely !!!…… :pullhair:…

When I connect the hard drive with Win8 on it , & go to "Device Manager" , the modem is there , but , needs a driver…
I downloaded the driver from Ztruker's link & tried to install it from desktop(?)..
Did not work…
Put in the install CD & it did not work..
Tried a newer version I found on the net & that did not work…
Went back to "Device Manager" & clicked on properties for the modem…
Found the update driver & somehow got the driver installed..
Modem said "This device is functioning(working) normally….YESSS !!!… :clap: …
Went to go online & NetZero said the modem was not there….. :rant2: …
Went back to "Device Manager" & sure enough , it WAS gone…. :wall: ..
I"m done with the wild goose chases…
I ordered the modem from Tiger Direct that Ztrucker graciously posted…THANK YOU !!!.. :) …
I expect it in sometime next week…

I'll let you know what happens…


Ztruker;…
FYI..

I re-installed Win8…
Here is what I did step by step;>..

 

Steps 1 thru 5 are self explanatory..
On step 6 , I did select Custom: Install Windows only ….
On step 7 , I did select Drive Options (advanced)…
On step 8  , I did delete the 350 MB System Reserved partition…
Steps 9 & 10 are self explanatory..
On step 11 , I selected Customize….
On step 12 , I selected yes…
On step 13 thru 15 , all are on…
On step , 17 & 18;.. I have a Microsoft account ,but , I do not want
the "cloud"..
I have not decided which way is best for me…
Will signing in with a Local Account" STILL give me the FREE Win10
upgrade ???
On steps 19 thru 22 are self explanatory…

 


Everyone;…
THANKS for ALL the help & advice…. :notworthy: …



Later…Ron.M… B) …

 

On step 8 , I did delete the 350 MB System Reserved partition…


Did you delete all partitions as I suggested. Drive should have been empty with no partitions at all.
 

Will signing in with a Local Account" STILL give me the FREE Win10
upgrade ???

 
Yes, will still get it.
 
I use my normal E-mail account as the account I sign in with, it doesn't have to be a Microsoft specific account.
I also have a local account.
 
Initially I had only the local account but have slowly moved to the E-mail account for normal use. It's really no different except if you have more than one Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 system (once it's released) using the E-mail login will keep them in sync as far as settings and such go. Makes reinstall and setup easier and faster.

 

I don't use any of the Modern interface (start screen or apps) so either works well for me.

Ztruker;…

In step 8 there were 2 divisions..
One was on top & that one was the 350 MB System Reserved partition…
The 2nd was the balance of the hard drive..
When I deleted the 350 MB partition an 'x' appeared in that line..
If memory serves , I  don't think I could have deleted the 2nd line…
I selected the 2nd line & it started to install…
So that is where it formatted & installed Win8 …

I got notice that the new modem is expected to be delivered on Wed , July , 1st…

As soon as I can install it & try it , I'll let you know how it goes…


Everybody;…
Have a GREAT day & weekend… :banana: …

THANKS….


Later..Ron.M…. B) …

You should have deleted all partitions. Do you have two partitions now, the 350 and the install or just the install?

 

Fingers crossed for the modem!!!

Ztruker;…

There was the 350 MB partition & the 2nd was the balance of the hard drive…
I deleted the 350 MB partition & installed the OS on the balance of the hard drive partition…
So , to the best of my knowledge , there should be just the install partition..
Is there an easy way to confirm that ???..

 

 

Fingers crossed for the modem!!!

 

 

What you mean  ???…. :o  ….
You recommended(?) it & it says in the listing that it WILL work for Win8 & 8.1 ….. :oops: …

Later…Ron.M…. B) …

And of course you believe everything you read, right :)

 

It should work and probably will but stuff happens.

 

It would have been better if you had done as I requested and deleted all partitions then let the installer create what it needs, but even if you only have the single partition you should be okay.

 

To see what you have, press Window key + R, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

Ztruker;…
 

""And of course you believe everything you read, right  :) ""
I disbelieve 50% of what & read & ignore the rest…. :huh: …Yeah , right…


I think I tried to delete the 2nd partition & it wouldn't let me do it…

I'll try "diskmgmt.msc" after I get the modem…
I'll let you know what that shows & depending on what you have to say , I may/may not do a re-install..


Be back one day next week…

Later…Ron.M… B) …

Ztruker;….


GOOD NEWS !!!… :banana:….
 
The new modem arrived Monday , TWO days ahead of schedule…
It took some trial & error attempts to find & install the right driver , but , I found it & it WORKS…

You'll be happy to know that "diskmgmt.msc" shows ONLY 1 partition !!!…

There are some features that I'm searching for & miss ,  for example;..
Add & Remove Programs
Paint
Notepad
Wordpad
Calculator
System Restore
Print Screen
Just to name a few…

The fun begins with learning to find what I'm used to from XP & what their new names may  be…
I'm using XP to post this as it is easier for me temporarily..
I can not get RoboForm to retrieve my Login & Bookmark data..
I had it briefly , but , it turns out that it was old & outdated data…

THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANK YOU for ALL your EXPERT advice….  :notworthy: ..



Have a GREAT day & weekend…. :clap: …



Later..Ron.M…. B) ….

 

Ron, that's really good news, glad you are back on the internet.

As you said, now the fun begins :)

 

The first thing you need to do is install Classic Shell so you have a normal XP/Windows 7 style Start button. Then get used to searching for things you can't find.

 

Add & Remove Programs

 Now called Programs and Features

Paint

Still there. Click the Start button, type paint

Notepad

Still there. Click the Start button, type notepad

Wordpad

Ditto but type wordpad
 

Calculator

Still there. Click the Start button, type calc
 

System Restore

Control Panel, Recovery, System Restore
 

Print Screen

Just press the Print Screen button on the keyboard to capture the entire screen.

Alt+Print Screen captures the current window that has focus.

 

On any of the ones you search for, once it shows at the top of the start menu you can right click on it to Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar.

  
 

 

Ztruker;…

Some mostly  good news & some not so good news , but , no really bad news…
Classic Shell is there…
LOVE it !!!…

Some updates regarding;=>….

 

Add & Remove Programs

 Now called Programs and Features << Found it !!!
 

Paint

Still there. Click the Start button, type paint <
 

Notepad

Still there. Click the Start button, type notepad <
 

Wordpad

Ditto but type wordpad <

 

Calculator

Still there. Click the Start button, type calc <<
 

System Restore

Control Panel, Recovery, System Restore <
 

Print Screen

Just press the Print Screen button on the keyboard to capture the entire screen.

Alt+Print Screen captures the current window that has focus.<<  Neither method works…

 

Now , the news about Win8 vs WinXP…

XP boots slow , Win8 boots very fast !!!
I hope that doesn't change after I get ALL the updates installed…

IE8 is lightning fast compared to IE10 !!! Damm !!!
Took  EIGHT MINUTES to get from login to this thread !!!..

Within Win8 functionality very fast…
Within WinXP , functionality not fast , but ,  OK…

Having trouble finding & getting IE11 to see if that's any faster…

There are 115 Windows updates of varying sizes that I have to download…
NOT a good sign for a relatively new OS !!!..
I hope that when I get ALL the updates downloaded & installed , this slowness will correct itself…

Also , when does the little window for Win10 appear in my "Task Bar" ???
I have not as yet upgraded to Win8.1 or activated Win8.0..

THANKS …….

Later…Ron.M… B) ….

 

 

 

You won't see the Get Win 10 icon untill most of the updates are installed.

 

Windows 8.1 was initially released August 27, 2013 so it's been around for almost 2 years now. Windows 8 was released August 1, 2012.

 

 

Print Screen

Just press the Print Screen button on the keyboard to capture the entire screen.

Alt+Print Screen captures the current window that has focus.<<  Neither method works…

 

It works, but it's a bit of a misnomer. It just doesn't actually do a print. What it does is capture the screen to the clip board. Then open Paint and do a paste. From there you can print or save as a jpg.

Ztruker;…
    
At the MS Update website there were 115 Win8 updates !!!!
After I downloaded & INSTALLED ALL 115 updates , my computer shows 180 updates installed !!!…
So , that's out of the way….
The update for Win8 ,1 is 2.81 GBs !!!!!….
Holy Toledo !!!!…
Now , I'm still on slow dial-up…
That changeover won't happen till ~July 20th…
I hope to be with CenturyLink then with 1.5 MBsps…
So it will be faster & more practical to upgrade then…

I have a LOT of data & files on WinXp that I'd love to transfer to Win8…
TOO much for any flash drive that I have…
On XP there is a feature called "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard"…
Is it missing on Win8 , or called a new name ???..

THANKS….


Later…Ron.M…. B) …



 

No Files & Settings Transfer Wizard in Win 8.1.

 

Easiest way to move data from your old XP to the new 8.1 is to mount the XP hard drive in the 8.1 computer then just copy what you want.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI